Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've probably mentioned before but I have a signed 17/18 Partick Thistle ball in my collection, if I buy any more Conor Sammon memorabilia I'll probably end up on a watch list.

3 items gets you a free pizza I believe

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Nothing will ever match the disappointment of learning the AS initialled training gear on eBay years ago did not belong to our lord and saviour.

On the earlier chat, I'm an absolute oddball when it comes to football...a proper walking contradiction.

Played proper-organised football since I was about 7 or 8, generally an age group or two above me. Played for the school team, played for the County (never got selected for Scotland schoolboys as I was absolutely tiny at the time). Trained with a few different pro-clubs in my teens and was offered a pro contract by two of them. Currently would play 5's every single day if I could, and have a few of my coaching badges. Made it to probably 90/95% of Motherwell games home and away between 1994 and 2010, and maybe around 75% since then until this current weirdo season.

But.....

I also have almost zero interest in football generally at all. I haven't watched a non-Motherwell game on TV since probably the 90's (not including being in the pub or someone's house and a game being on). I reckon at a push I could maybe name 20 footballers and even at that they would probably all be recognisable in one way or another for non-footballing reasons (although I don't have twitter or Insta so my exposure is already limited). I get absolutely ripped during World Cups and Euros when my mates are all talking about this player and that player and I've no idea who any of them are. There was a time there where "Who's better, Messi or Ronaldo?" was a proper hot topic, and I've honestly not got a clue as aside from the odd clip here and there I've genuinely never seen either of them play. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest. I also turned down both the offers I mentioned before, as I just never had even the tiniest interest in being a pro footballer.

If you take away any emotional attachment I have (either anything Motherwell-related, or being a show off p***k at 5's that could not care less about winning or losing, as long as I play well), then I just find football insanely dull.

I gave up on MOTD many years ago, I don’t watch European football.  This season hasn’t changed the amount of football I take in, just that the Motherwell games are online.  I took a deal with Sky Sports this year largely because there were a couple of early ’Well games on it, so I sometimes flick a game on to see the score, but that is only because my wife has joined a fantasy league competition at work.  Will I play Chilwell or Cresswell she asks.  No idea who they play for I reply.

I did see Ronaldo for Man Utd in my MOTD days but I have never watched a Messi game.

in the real world I will take in a couple of Stirling Albion games e.g. during the winter break or when we visit Parkhead/Ibrox and if they are not at home then Bannockburn Amatuers get my attention but that is realistically one game a year.

in more upbeat news, due to a little heart scare a few years ago I got a vaccination yesterday so any experiments for fans back at the game, I am your man.

On 15/02/2021 at 16:18, ropy said:

No Motherwell players on the suspension list from 11th Feb which was last Thursday, looks like we are exempt.

On page 135 of the procedures it confirms

Accumulation of six cautionable offences in the same competition (detailed below and including cautions incurred in Part D)
  1 match suspension
   Effective from 14th day following the date of the match when the 6th cautionable offence occurred and to be served in the same competition.
  Accumulation of twelve cautionable offences in the same competition (detailed below and including cautions incurred in Part D)
   2 match suspension
  Effective from 14th day following the date of the match when the 12th cautionable offence occurred and to be served in the same competition

So I assume our players haven’t hit six league cautions yet.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

On page 135 of the procedures it confirms

Accumulation of six cautionable offences in the same competition (detailed below and including cautions incurred in Part D)
  1 match suspension
   Effective from 14th day following the date of the match when the 6th cautionable offence occurred and to be served in the same competition.
  Accumulation of twelve cautionable offences in the same competition (detailed below and including cautions incurred in Part D)
   2 match suspension
  Effective from 14th day following the date of the match when the 12th cautionable offence occurred and to be served in the same competition

So I assume our players haven’t hit six league cautions yet.

@craigkillie actually answered this on the Livi thread the other week.

On 23/02/2021 at 14:27, craigkillie said:

It resets after his club has played 19 league games (ie half the season). Or to be more accurate, it doesn't reset, but instead the threshold is raised to 12 yellows for a two-match ban.

Our players have hit 6 bookings (7 in Watt's case) but it's 12 that's the threshold now as they were accumulated after we'd played 19 games.

Long held view that Scottish fitba is proper fitba and that English fitba is sanatised soccer pish for the mass market since Mourinho came along and basically every big game between any of the top teams ends in a 0 0 or a 1 0 shit fest.

The fact we are meant to believe the hype that teams Brighton and fucking Burnley play in the best league football has to offer is laughable. Absolutely laughable.

I used to enjoy European football when it was the champions league, uefa Cup and Cup winners Cup but again they diluted it down by having multiple teams from the same league in the champions league and then creating the europa league and diluting a trophy that had already lost some of its greatness with pointless group stages and 24 qualifying rounds. I'm not sure what difference the Conference League is going to make other than assuring more that the bigger teams from the bigger league carve it up even more. I now have zero interest in any European games that don't involve a Scottish team and even then that's only hoping they get pumped.

Things like VAR should never ever enter Scottish football because who exactly does it benefit? Would the 3k folk at Livi vs St Mirren prefer to argue in the pub after it about a dodgy decision that results in a goal or red card or wait in a stadium without any screens for a ref to change a decision with no audible explanation for a TV audience of about 16 overseas fans?

Fitba without being at it is shite.

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

@craigkillie actually answered this on the Livi thread the other week.

Our players have hit 6 bookings (7 in Watt's case) but it's 12 that's the threshold now as they were accumulated after we'd played 19 games.

I am going to have to read the last 30 pages now

Was wondering this myself. I saw Gerrard has already offered a 1 match ban after being sent off on Wednesday against Livi.

Given GA has been sent off twice and booked in almost every other game I don’t know why he hasn’t been hauled up in front of ‘the beaks’ yet. Must be taking them weeks to tot up all his charges.

Just watched the big match revisited on ITV4. Luton v QPR early 70's.

Big crowd, great atmosphere,heavy pitch, crunching tackles you would never see now with no play acting, ball into the box at every opportunity, wingers taking guys on and every player seemed to have a perm.

Reminded of me what football should be not the sterile pish chess games you get now.

I struggle watching football I don't care about. Like when the Bundesliga kicked off first after lockdown 1.0 a load of folk I know were buzzing about it. I could not give a flying about it. The EPL is generally guff outside of 5 or 6 teams. You're not ever going to convince me that "the best league in the world" has that much shite in it. 

However, I love listening to football on the radio. We never had Sky Sports in the house when I was growing up but I can remember there always being football on the radio while my dad was doing stuff round the house or in his shed. I might have said it before but the iconic Peter Martin commentary on Faddy's screamer in Paris was on in the kitchen while the two of us were standing having dinner while sorting out the garden. Dinner getting thrown round the place. 

Honestly f**k knows how people can solely exist on watching football on TV. It's absolutely pish by comparison. 

I won’t sit down and watch an English, Spanish, champions league etc game on TV but i will happily go to a game if I am in the area. Barcelona v Juventus the pick of the bunch.

The English league do an amazing PR job, sky, bbc, talksport all do a great job talking it up and getting the fans down there believing that it’s the greatest in the world but in reality it’s average at best. Top 6/7 walking over the rest and then a complete snooze fest when the play each other.