Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

image.png.570cd932c5da77b717910f414872072f.png

From Wiki...

Early career[edit]

Motherwell[edit]

One of six children, St John's father Alex, a steelworker, died when he was six years old; he also showed talent for boxing as a boy, but his mother discouraged it.[3] Having played football for youth sides and works teams as a teenager while working in local industry, including at the Colville steelworks, St John began his career at boyhood favourites Motherwell, signing as a professional in 1957[7] after a spell with affiliated junior team Douglas Water Thistle as a provisional signing; he continued a part-time engineering apprenticeship (work which he admitted he disliked and actively avoided as much as possible) for a further two years.[3]

He was managed by Bobby Ancell, and was part of a group of talented young players (also including Andy Weir, Willie Hunter, Pat Quinn and Sammy Reid) that were nicknamed the "Ancell Babes".[8][9] His debut was against Dumfries side Queen of the South in an away fixture at Palmerston Park. St John scored a hat-trick for Motherwell in two minutes and 30 seconds against Hibernian in 1959, one of the fastest recorded in Scottish football history.[10] He left Motherwell in 1961, having scored 105 goals in 144 appearances for the club in the three major Scottish domestic competitions.[7]

After playing[edit]

After retiring from playing, St John managed both his former club Motherwell (1973–1974) and Portsmouth (1974–1977, assisted by former Motherwell teammate Willie Hunter).[11] He also served as assistant manager at Sheffield Wednesday and Coventry City.[19] As Motherwell manager, St John sold goalkeeper Keith MacRae and gave a debut to young forward Willie Pettigrew.[20] Motherwell finished ninth in the 1973–74 season, his only term in charge.[20]

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Believe it or not, they guy doing the interview in the second clip was a neighbour of mine and was more famous as being the lead singer of Richie Blackmores group RAINBOW through the 80's and 90's. Still singing to this day (I think). 

Look it up !!

Edited by B.K.

7 minutes ago, B.K. said:

Believe it or not, they guy doing the interview in the second clip was a neighbour of mine and was more famous as being the lead singer of Richie Blackmores group RAINBOW through the 80's and 90's. Still singing to this day (I think). 

Look it up !!

Wow. Did not know that. Doogie White was his name. According to Wiki he was the last lead singer of Rainbow. 

I went to see Rainbow at the Hammersmith Apollo back in the day. Need to go back and see if it was him singing. A Well Fan too. 

Shame about Sinji passing away but at least I know a new fact for the day.

Living in Edinburgh I have a fair few Hearts and Hibees as neighbours. One of the older Hibs fans actually gave me the programme for the match where Sinji scored the Hat Trick. Imagine being there. 3 goals in less than 3 minutes and Motherwell winning at Easter Rd too. I have easily been up to 20 times and not sure I have seen us win more than once or twice 🤷‍♂️

Cheers B.K. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

According to Wiki he was the last lead singer of Rainbow.

Ma Maw and da wen to see Rainbow 2 years ago and it's a wee Chilean guy now the lead singer

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Doogie White was a member of Rainbow in the 90s

I was a very young teen at the time so it would have been early 80’s I went so it would not have been him on vocals. 
Still mad keen on Ritchie Blackmore. A fantastic guitarist. 
It was my love for Deep Purple that started it off. Live at the California Jam. Just awesome to this day..

There was a Rainbow as part of the set that day and I often wondered if that is where he got the inspiration for Rainbow ?

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Ma Maw and da wen to see Rainbow 2 years ago and it's a wee Chilean guy now the lead singer

1 hour ago, B.K. said:

Doogie is now lead singer with a group called La Paz.

Sounds like these two facts should be connected, but I'm not sure how.

Shite news about Ian St John but I've loved seeing some of the old videos, particularly the Saint & Grievsie ones. I can only remember the very tail end of the show when it was on, but my Dad loved it. 

I'm not sure if this was one of those 'Da jokes' he likes to tell, but my old man would always tell me a story that when he was scoring for fun in his Liverpool days, there was a church in Liverpool that had a big "Jesus Saves!" sign outside of it, only for a local to paint, "And St John nets the rebound!". I really hope it's true! 

Also, it's 30 years to the day since my first Motherwell game. A 3-1 defeat to Hearts. Any of you on here programme collectors? I'd love to get my hands on the programme for that day. 

20210302_160910.jpg

13 hours ago, Desp said:

Also, it's 30 years to the day since my first Motherwell game. A 3-1 defeat to Hearts. Any of you on here programme collectors? I'd love to get my hands on the programme for that day. 

I used to get programmes all the time in those days ( and weirdly, I remember that cartoon for some reason) - some of them are still in a box at my folk's house, so if I'm ever allowed back in to Lanarkshire, I'll have a look for it. If I have it, it's yours.