Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Roberts was.... Fine. Better than Seedorf and Hastie and having an actual winger was beneficial.

I do not get the commentary team's obsession with Maguire, unless, a la WWF commentators they have someone in their ear constantly telling them to sell him as our next big thing to try and dupe someone into buying him, which would actually be good.

I get the feeling Alexander hasn't taken to Polworth and I can kind of understand why tbf. He sold the jerseys at Pittodrie and his "tackle" to give away a penalty at the weekend was atrocious.

As for Maguire, I think he's fine. A hod carrier if you will. He's probably on par with Crawford ability wise. 

Robbie Crawford seems to be getting a run of games for you. How's he done? Was a divisive figure amongst our support but always really liked him.

I thought he was excellent last night sitting in front of the back 4, it was his best game for us so far I think. The game being scrappy with lots of second balls to compete for suited him down to the ground.

‘Steady’ is probably the best word to describe him. He’s never going to set the heather alight due to the type of player he is and he’s not really done anything too terrible other than a few risky passes here and there that have almost led to conceding.

I’d say he’s been fine as a squad player. He’s probably played more than anticipated due to injuries and suspensions and if we had a fully available midfield I’d expect he’d be a bench warmer the vast majority of the time. His contract is up at the end of the season and I wouldn’t be disappointed if he stayed another year as an option off the bench but conversely if he left I wouldn’t be that bothered. A passable bottom 6 team squad player.

26 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Robbie Crawford seems to be getting a run of games for you. How's he done? Was a divisive figure amongst our support but always really liked him.

I think he's been ok. Our midfield is a shambles IMO so to come in and look ok is decent

Said it plenty of times in the past, Crawford is on par with Maguire yet most of our fans were probably happy to see Crawford never play in a well shirt again, Maguire was cut plenty of slack cause he is one of our own.

As fans we have wool pulled over our eyes when a player comes through our academy, regardless of how good or bad they are.

Someone made the claim that Adam Livingstone was better than all our current options at LB, wild !!

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

Said it plenty of times in the past, Crawford is on par with Maguire yet most of our fans were probably happy to see Crawford never play in a well shirt again, Maguire was cut plenty of slack cause he is one of our own.

As fans we have wool pulled over our eyes when a player comes through our academy, regardless of how good or bad they are.

Someone made the claim that Adam Livingstone was better than all our current options at LB, wild !!

I know what you're saying - but if there are 2 players of similar ability and one is a product of our youth team and one is a loanee/short term signing, I'm unapologetically going to prefer the youth team player. We've been well served by bringing players through and we need to keep doing that basically.

On the other hand Dom Thomas syndrome where people massively over estimate how good a player is simply as he's "ours" is a massive cringe - as is the propensity for such a player to actually get better the less they're seen in the first team.

Agreed, just look at some of the responses last night to Johnston being dropped for O'Donnell.

People genuinely outraged that a 17 year old kid was being replaced by a guy who's probably going to be Scotland's right back at the Euro's. Don't get me wrong, Johnston wasn't the worst against St Johnstone by any means and he's obviously a talent but you'd think he'd played like fucking prime Cafu the way folk were going on.

While O'Donnell had an absolute disaster against Accies, he's clearly a far better option at this moment in time and justified his selection last night. 

Edited by Casagolda

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I know what you're saying - but if there are 2 players of similar ability and one is a product of our youth team and one is a loanee/short term signing, I'm unapologetically going to prefer the youth team player. We've been well served by bringing players through and we need to keep doing that basically.

On the other hand Dom Thomas syndrome where people massively over estimate how good a player is simply as he's "ours" is a massive cringe - as is the propensity for such a player to actually get better the less they're seen in the first team.

Completely agree with this btw, if they are virtually the same player you will always side with the youth product but the responses to them both are at the complete opposite ends of the scale. Maguire should be starting every week and Crawford should never wear a Motherwell kit again. When the reality is they are both decent enough squad players, that's all. 

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Agreed, just look at some of the responses last night to Johnston being dropped for O'Donnell.

People genuinely outraged that a 17 year old kid was being replaced by a guy who's probably going to be Scotland's right back at the Euro's. Don't get me wrong, Johnston wasn't the worst against St Johnstone by any means and he's obviously a talent but you'd think he'd played like fucking prime Cafu the way folk were going on.

While O'Donnell had an absolute disaster against Accies, he's clearly a far better option at this moment in time and justified his selection last night. 

said words to the same effect on SO.

8 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Roberts was.... Fine. Better than Seedorf and Hastie and having an actual winger was beneficial.

I do not get the commentary team's obsession with Maguire, unless, a la WWF commentators they have someone in their ear constantly telling them to sell him as our next big thing to try and dupe someone into buying him, which would actually be good.

Maguire got skinned out wide a couple of times.

Richard Tait picked up the ball saw it was Maguire in front of him and breezed past. And Richard Tait is not someone I would describe as quick.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Just wondering how many of us are experiencing panic or drama as a result of not getting all 3 points last night?

If that one had nicked in off the post late on, it would have been a perfect Wednesday performance.

Unfortunately, we've got a Saturday to put up with next

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Just wondering how many of us are experiencing panic or drama as a result of not getting all 3 points last night?

I  still thought we were bollocks except maybe 10 mins in the second half.

Was better than the previous two but still.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Maguire got skinned out wide a couple of times.

Richard Tait picked up the ball saw it was Maguire in front of him and breezed past. And Richard Tait is not someone I would describe as quick.

He also took two touches to take 3 St Mirren midfielders out of the chance of possession. 🙄