Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That was the sort of performance that a team in relegation trouble should be putting in. Faintly horrible to watch, lots of playing it safe and big punts out of danger and kept ourselves in with a chance of nicking 3 points.

I think they deserve credit for showing a bit of character after the last 2 clusterfucks - and I really didn't think I'd be weighing up whether to give Roberts or Crawford the MOTM award....

1 minute ago, Swello said:

That was the sort of performance that a team in relegation trouble should be putting in. Faintly horrible to watch, lots of playing it safe and big punts out of danger and kept ourselves in with a chance of nicking 3 points.

I think they deserve credit for showing a bit of character after the last 2 clusterfucks - and I really didn't think I'd be weighing up whether to give Roberts or Crawford the MOTM award....

Roberts wasn’t great but he was involved throughout the game, you can’t say that about any Seedorf or Hastie performance. Hope to see more from him.

8 minutes ago, ropy said:

Roberts wasn’t great but he was involved throughout the game, you can’t say that about any Seedorf or Hastie performance. Hope to see more from him.

He did what you want a wide attacker to do (even if it didn't always come off), he took decent set pieces and even shot from outside the box (gasp!) - so I was more than happy with him without going overboard. He arguably gave a better 90 mins performance than we've had out of Long too. 

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Watt’s heavy touch when he would have been one on one was annoying too.

Consistently starting a striker who's proven over his career to both lack goal threat, and constantly miss more than he scores, when you've got Cole/Long who are the complete opposite, is a strange decision for a team battling relegation and needing to take their opportunities.

But that's none of my business...

giphy-downsized.gif.b53e73c3d04f0afcbbbe2932867fee5e.gif

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Consistently starting a striker who's proven over his career to both lack goal threat, and constantly miss more than he scores, when you've got Cole/Long who are the complete opposite, is a strange decision for a team battling relegation and needing to take their opportunities.

He is the glue that joins the little bits that work for us together.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

He is the glue that joins the little bits that work for us together.

Yeah, he's good at looking an important part of a team.

37 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Much better performance. Robert's  much better than long so hope he keeps his place in team. Crawford was MOTM for me. Thought Maguire had a good game also

I have been happy with Maguire in recent times but don’t think this was his best game.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's been our POTY by an absolute mile. The only player that could even come close is Kelly but he's only been here 2 months.

54 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Much better performance. Robert's  much better than long so hope he keeps his place in team. Crawford was MOTM for me. Thought Maguire had a good game also

Just for the record I have nothing agin Maguire. 

But the love in is lost for me. In every game he has played he has been at best average. He does more wrong  than right. 

He tries - I will give him that. But he is a championship player all day long. 

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Just for the record I have nothing agin Maguire. 

But the love in is lost for me. In every game he has played he has been at best average. He does more wooing than right. 

He tries - I will give him that. But he is a championship player all day long. 

Quite the lover then?

Aye, Watt has been by far our best player this season. Cole and Long are both ineffective out wide and Watt has far more joy on the left than he does through the middle so it makes perfect sense to play him.

I thought Crawford was rank at the weekend but fair play to him for that performance tonight, I’m now thinking I’d maybe sacrifice Maguire for O’Hara rather than him.

Magloire looked a bit dodgy at the start but settled in to the game well and that was a great bit of covering when Obika had got away from Lamie.

Don’t want to celebrate a point against St. Mirren but at least the rot has been stopped. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If u r judging a striker on goals alone then you r bang on. 

The reality is he should score more. I mean he has got a record of 4 goals in 32 games this season. In all honesty that is pathetic.

But he gives a 100% and in a season where so many have not it gets him more browny points. 

He does actually have 6 in 33 overall. 3 league goals isn’t the best return, but I’m probably more interested in his 6 assists (8 in all competitions).

He was still better than the rest when playing centre forward, but I think his move out left has proved to me he’s far more of a creative influence than a goalscorer. 

I’ve said it before, he reminds me of second spell Scott McDonald (If not quite as good). A few of our soft, naive squad could do worse than learn a bit of his game management skills.

Consistently starting a striker who's proven over his career to both lack goal threat, and constantly miss more than he scores

This is a good description of Chris Kane, yet he clearly adds a lot to our team and played a big part in hauling us out of trouble.. dunno if it’s as simple as you put it.