Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'd be tempted to start Smith and Cole up top against Celtic, purely because the way to rattle them is just fire the ball into the box at their keeper/centre halves as often as possible. Maguire, SOD, Carroll and Watt instructed to vary the angles of their delivery every time they can.

Maguire has to start as his set-piece delivery is the best we have, and swinging them in to Bevis, Cole and Smith should cause Celtic problems at the back.

We also need someone loitering around the edge of the box waiting for anything Celtic win but don't clear properly.

6 hours ago, The_Craig said:

Big Mugabi was great tonight apart from being totally at fault for the goal by losing his man completely. 

Or am I being harsh? 

A fair summary, commanding in the box other than the time he wasn’t 

Edited by ropy

If the result of signing 82 players during January is that it gives the current squad a massive boot up the arse and get us a bit further up the league, it will be totally worth it. Campbell was a lot better last night and I can’t see how Polworth gets back in the team now. 

10 hours ago, The_Craig said:

Big Mugabi was great tonight apart from being totally at fault for the goal by losing his man completely. 

Or am I being harsh? 

Yeah I think that's just Mugabi tbh.

Can be absolutely fine for 95% of the game but you always worry there's a mistake/lapse in concentration coming at some point. Was far from confident in him and Lamie going in last night but they both done absolutely fine for 80 odd mins with Kelly largely untroubled- once they scored we looked a bit rattled though.

As I mentioned on the match thread, it was interesting that Alexander has now won back to back games with basically the same set of players Robinson was using- save for Kelly instead of Carson. Which supports the theory they were largely underachieving, rather than just simply being shite. 

Plus, we now have about 6 new signings waiting in the wings(and hopefully soon the likes of O'Hara and Donnelly) ready to pounce if anyone lets their level drop.

Edited by Casagolda

Just checking in to say that I'm still raging about not getting a penalty last night. 

If the referee had given it and in the aftermath, McGinley was being helped off with a burst face, there wouldn't have been a hint of argument from anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Just checking in to say that I'm still raging about not getting a penalty last night. 

If the referee had given it and in the aftermath, McGinley was being helped off with a burst face, there wouldn't have been a hint of argument from anyone. 

The fact that it didn't even get discussed during sportscene while the Dundee United "claims" were made me a bit more angry than I should have been.

Not only is it a dangerous play (Fuchs foot was at his head, nowhere near the ground), if that was anywhere else on the park its a free kick and a red card. How the ref though that was a drop ball to Dundee United I will never know. I doubt it would be refered to the SFA disciplinary panel as well since the ref "apparently" never saw the incident.

When you see the penalty we got against us in Paisley and then that last night...I would love to hear the referee's justification (and his thoughts on how McGinley's nose got burst if it wasn't a foul)

I still wouldn't want the massive fucking abomination that is VAR anywhere near our league but I would pay REAL MONEY to be able to swear loudly at a linesman as he ran past my seat in East Stand after an incident like that #simplepleasures

38 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

I know a linesman and his least favourite ground is Fir Park, in particular, in front of the East Stand.  Well done @Swello

Ach, it's a team effort :)(and I've heard similar a few times over the years). 

I love it when the wave of pelters follows the linesman all the way back to the half way line.

11 hours ago, The_Craig said:

Or am I being harsh? 

I am one of his biggest critics and lately I've decided I need to be more forgiving of him. 

It was his man that scored, but it wasn't like he left him, he just got a bit of movement on Mugabi. What I will say is that I am not overly concerned by that in his game. Lately he's cut down on swinging his boot at the ball and it going anywhere and I've not had the fear that him in possession of the ball will turn into an opposition attack in a while. I'd take more from that than I would his part in the equaliser as that is bound to happen every now and again.

Delighted with the win last night, things got a bit anxious at the end but that was probably the most I have enjoyed a game this season, really decent watch.

I thought going foward, the front 3 looked excellent. I feel like Cole, Long and Watt actually looked like they were enjoying the link-up play with eachother which was really refreshing to see. For all the Chris Long negativity - from myself included - I don't think any of us have ever doubted his talent and I think last night reinterated that when he can be arsed he is a very decent player at our level. Outside of the attack I thought Mugabi, Kelly and Crawford were really strong.

One of the patterns in play I quite like with Alexander is the pressing from the front, hopefully this will continue to be a feature of our play and we will improve at it as we go. I also really enjoyed Alexander bawling 'encourgement' at the players in his thick English accent whilst they do it.  Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him!

Only negative for me is Tony Watt's finishing. I love Watt as much as the next guy, he is excellent outside of the box but he needs to take far more of his chances. I appreciate Watt isn't going to be a 20 goal a season striker and that he is here mainly for the rest of what he offers but watching him at St Johnstone and Hearts this is a recurring theme. Again, I don't want to be overly critical of a guy who has been tremendous for us but we could easily have dropped points at the end there due to missed chances.

I get the feeling Alexander might try to give it a go against Celtic rather than reverting to a 5-5-0, we certainly don't have anything to fear going into Saturday.

Edited by Luke92

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I am one of his biggest critics and lately I've decided I need to be more forgiving of him. 

It was his man that scored, but it wasn't like he left him, he just got a bit of movement on Mugabi. What I will say is that I am not overly concerned by that in his game. Lately he's cut down on swinging his boot at the ball and it going anywhere and I've not had the fear that him in possession of the ball will turn into an opposition attack in a while. I'd take more from that than I would his part in the equaliser as that is bound to happen every now and again.

I think we are 80/20 with Mugabi and the 80% is good, solid and commanding. But at the goal he was close to his man but chose to swing a leg rather than get his head in there.  Rolling the ball to him from a goal kick is heart attack inducing.

I won’t give up on him though. A cult hero in the making.

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

Only negative for me is Tony Watt's finishing. I love Watt as much as the next guy, he is excellent outside of the box but he needs to take far more of his chances. I appreciate Watt isn't going to be a 20 goal a season striker and that he is here mainly for the rest of what he offers but watching him at St Johnstone and Hearts this is a recurring theme. Again, I don't want to be overly critical of a guy who has been tremendous for us but we could easily have dropped points at the end there due to missed chances.

Chance 1 : hit it with your left

Chance 2 : stick your head on it

Chance 3 : don’t hit the keeper (harsh)

one thing I don’t understand is how powder puff professional footballers can be when striking the ball, players like Watt, Campbell and going back to Lasley get no power in their shots.  Whereas Long scored from distance and zipped another past the post.

Can that technique not be improved?

27 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Not only is it a dangerous play (Fuchs foot was at his head, nowhere near the ground), if that was anywhere else on the park its a free kick and a red card. 

I'm not convinced it was a red card. Penalty and a booking every day of the week, but I didn't see much intent there, just a bloke making a daft attempt to kick the ball.

With Polworth out the team the creativity has dropped.  In its place the three strikers came deeper and dragged the ball up the park so is this a workable alternative, don’t expect the through ball, go and get it yourself?

In saying that Campbell played a few good balls down the outside.