Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

The only time I’ve seen MJC written anywhere other than SO or here is the Twitter of the guy that plays Tam in Still Game. They can’t be the same person surely?

Haha, I've never met MJC in person (as far as I'm aware... he might well have been on one of the trips to the Masters) but it's definitely not Mark Cox, as his name isn't Mark.

Edited by Al B

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

The only time I’ve seen MJC written anywhere other than SO or here is the Twitter of the guy that plays Tam in Still Game. They can’t be the same person surely?

And even if he’s not can we just pretend he is?

He comes into my work sometimes, I'll try and subtly find out by asking for his opinions on various Motherwell managers.

I'd totally forgot about that masters trip, that was fun. I also went to the trial for their team, but I guess they forgot to call me back. I mind in the early days when we were in the middle of the Falkirk stadium fiasco, sitting on Wtfc.net all day, with a nice view of said stadium from my office, which was filled with fuming Falkirk fans. 

Compost corner used to be good fun, but it's just good for the pan breid thread now 🙂 @Al B 's contribution to the music thread actually got me into a few new bands. 

36 minutes ago, Al B said:

Haha, I've never met MJC in person (as far as I'm aware... he might well have been on one of the trips to the Masters) but it's definitely not the guy that plays Tam, his name is Mark.

I always wonder about that - there aren't actually that many Motherwell supporters and so there must be lots of cases where folk know each other (even on fitba nodding terms) in real life but won't be aware who they are on Steelmen or on here. Gives me the fear.

4 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Don't think I've been on Steelmen Online since about 2008 which is roughly when I joined here.

Wasn't it Alan Burrows (aka Flow) who set up Steelmen? He definitely used to post on there anyway. I can mind a thread during Mcghee's first season when he went to Austria with the team for pre-season and would post daily updates with photos, interviews etc. No idea why I remember that.

Al B explained it better than I was gonna

3 hours ago, Al B said:

Welltrustfc from when we started it until it switched over were absoute halcyon days. To this day some of the funniest things I've ever seen/been a part of online were on there, and some of the days out were absolutely legendary.

Yep. I was 20/21 when it started and the days out to the fitba were great. Masters or away days in Dumfries, to sitting on the Scott Monument boozing in the sun.
The internet was relatively new and maybe folk weren't as  pessimistic cos it was a great site at first. I haven't been on their in a while but will do soon enough.

Ah, the trips to the Masters were great. I remember being absolutely burst one Saturday morning and being on a bus to a pre-Masters visit to the Wee Thackit in Carluke, trying to force down a sandwich to help me with my first pint of the day. 2004 I think. 

The Masters also gives me a great claim to fame story. The year we won it (2007 I think) I had a few too many beers and, whilst trying to get my face on the Sky cameras to celebrate our victory, leaned over the railings to my side too much and fell over. A 15-20 feet drop a couple of cracked ribs ensued. Thanks to Grievesie, who had run one of the buses that day, the bus waited for me to get treatment in the first aid room next to a bemused Owen Coyle, and Brian Martin's shirt was also waiting for me! I still have that shirt. 

That moment was also voted in at No.7 in the "Top 10 Masters Moments of the first Ten Years" on their official website. Gianfranco Zola making his debut was No.8... 

8 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I'd totally forgot about that masters trip, that was fun. I also went to the trial for their team, but I guess they forgot to call me back. I mind in the early days when we were in the middle of the Falkirk stadium fiasco, sitting on Wtfc.net all day, with a nice view of said stadium from my office, which was filled with fuming Falkirk fans. 

Compost corner used to be good fun, but it's just good for the pan breid thread now 🙂 @Al B 's contribution to the music thread actually got me into a few new bands. 

Ah! Falkirk + Tennessee means I know who you are now!

31 minutes ago, Desp said:

Ah, the trips to the Masters were great. I remember being absolutely burst one Saturday morning and being on a bus to a pre-Masters visit to the Wee Thackit in Carluke, trying to force down a sandwich to help me with my first pint of the day. 2004 I think. 

The Masters also gives me a great claim to fame story. The year we won it (2007 I think) I had a few too many beers and, whilst trying to get my face on the Sky cameras to celebrate our victory, leaned over the railings to my side too much and fell over. A 15-20 feet drop a couple of cracked ribs ensued. Thanks to Grievesie, who had run one of the buses that day, the bus waited for me to get treatment in the first aid room next to a bemused Owen Coyle, and Brian Martin's shirt was also waiting for me! I still have that shirt. 

That moment was also voted in at No.7 in the "Top 10 Masters Moments of the first Ten Years" on their official website. Gianfranco Zola making his debut was No.8... 

😂

So was it caught on camera? Surely there's a YouTube clip?

Haha, I don't believe it was ever shown on the telly. Someone, however, thought it would be nice to take a picture of the moment I was lying half deid on the concrete. I haven't seen the picture in a while though. 

Dunne, Crawford, O’Donnell.

Kiss, Kill or Marry ? 

Joking apart surely we need to let Dunne go. When did he last play a game for us ? I am all for helping out and standing by injured players but we have done that for well over a year now. 

Stephen O'Donnell a stay for me.  He may have decided to move away but it all depends on what is on offer if anything. He goes and no Grimshaw recently. Then right back becomes a problem area once more. 

Crawford has been OK. But it is an extra wage and if OHara is back, Foley has signed and Donnelly fit next month or so then I think time to send him back to Livi. 

Haha, I don't believe it was ever shown on the telly. Someone, however, thought it would be nice to take a picture of the moment I was lying half deid on the concrete. I haven't seen the picture in a while though. 

I found this on youtube but there's no sign of anyone falling unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Dunne, Crawford, O’Donnell.

Kiss, Kill or Marry ? 

Joking apart surely we need to let Dunne go. When did he last play a game for us ? I am all for helping out and standing by injured players but we have done that for well over a year now. 

Stephen O'Donnell a stay for me.  He may have decided to move away but it all depends on what is on offer if anything. He goes and no Grimshaw recently. Then right back becomes a problem area once more. 

Crawford has been OK. But it is an extra wage and if OHara is back, Foley has signed and Donnelly fit next month or so then I think time to send him back to Livi. 

I'd pretty much agree with that.

Dunne - It's a shame how much he's been impacted by injuries but we knew that before he signed in the first place. He seems like a genuinely good lad and has provided some good moments both off and on the pitch, but we can't really be carrying players at the moment that haven't played for 18 (?) months. He's now back running so can't be a million miles away from ball work etc that would allow him to go and train with another team and try to win a contact. Worst comes to worst, get him involved in the media team!

O'Donnell - would be happy to see him stay. If he has agreed a deal elsewhere, I'd imagine one of the signings today would be a right back. A big risk for him to leave with the Euros 4 months away.

Crawford - has generally done fine but assuming O'Hara is not out long term, Foley coming in, Donnelly on his way back, and Maguire putting in a good performance last week and looking for a run in the team, I think the wages could be better spent elsewhere.

Charles Dunne seems a decent enough guy, and I probably miss out on a fair amount of the affection for him as I don't have Twitter or Insta, but I think he's an awful, awful footballer. He had that wee spell where all he had to do was be fast and get in people's way which worked for him alongside better defensive partners, but that first game against Livingston last season where we just watched him shelling diags into the dugout, was one of the longest 90 mins of my life.

Edited by Al B

Would keep SOD as he's been a pretty serviceable right back without being spectacular. If we're seriously expecting Donnelly & O'Hara to be fit again I'd be fine if Crawford left. He's been tidy but realistically I'd rather see Maguire get a run in midfield to see if he can cut it. 

I love Charlie Dunne. I dearly love Charlie Dunne. If his legs have still fallen off can we appoint him as a commentator instead of Jock Brown & Lewis Irons?

I think when fit he has done reasonably well in our team. Obviously very technically limited and reliant on his pace, but for the most part he's done what we've needed him to do reasonably well.

I wouldn't keep him long-term as his first season with us seems to be the only season in recent times where he's not spent months out with pelvic/groin problems, which certainly suggests he'll continue to be well acquainted with the treatment table throughout his career. If it was a broken leg or another kind of impact injury he was recovering from, he'd probably have been better off, but these problems seem deep rooted, which is a shame for the guy.

A fully-fit Dunne is definitely far better option than what we have currently, but  a fully-fit Dunne is something that in the future will probably be sporadic at best.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

I found this on youtube but there's no sign of anyone falling unfortunately.
That's great, had a good laugh at the couple of Celtic supporters sitting glumly in the middle of it. Looked a cracking day out.
Who was it lifted the trophy, didn't recognise him? Did we actually win something with Woods in goal?

I post fairly regularly on SO, mainly because I forgot my log in for this forum so with all the chat I decided to recover it, P&B tends to be much more level headed than SO. I tend to find myself disagreeing with most posters over there, but then again most folk would probably disagree with my opinions. 

I try to look at things from a more positive/realistic point of view as opposed to every day is dooms day or use phrases like 'the silence from the board is deafening'

glad to be back.