Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Dunno if I'm just getting desperate but I would have taken Middleton, always thought he looked decent. I still think we are really lacking a winger. It would be nice to have one who didn't lose the ball everytime they received it.

I'll be honest and say I expected more bodies in and out by now, hoping there will be some movement this week.

1 minute ago, Luke92 said:

Dunno if I'm just getting desperate but I would have taken Middleton, always thought he looked decent. I still think we are really lacking a winger. It would be nice to have one who didn't lose the ball everytime they received it.

I'll be honest and say I expected more bodies in and out by now, hoping there will be some movement this week.

Obviously Lawleff is yet to make an impression so hopefully he's available on Wednesday. Hopefully Seedorf's performance at the weekend sees him bulleted out of the squad now. The Hastie situation is very weird too. I know there's a lot of ill feelings towards him but he surely cannot be sitting on the bench looking at the current crop thinking "this is fine".

Either way I'd like to see us having launched a few bodies out the door by the end of this week. 

25 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Are you allowed to have more than one player on loan from the same club in the same league? I can't see Rangers taking Hastie as they will have absolutely no use for him and I doubt any club that wants him will pay more in wages than we do. 

Not sure if the rules have changed for this season. Same thing with the Mallan loan shout, isn't there a rule about only having so many loan deals from other SPFL clubs?  

Just now, Desp said:

Are you allowed to have more than one player on loan from the same club in the same league? I can't see Rangers taking Hastie as they will have absolutely no use for him and I doubt any club that wants him will pay more in wages than we do. 

Not sure if the rules have changed for this season. Same thing with the Mallan loan shout, isn't there a rule about only having so many loan deals from other SPFL clubs?  

Yeah the rules changed:

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF LOAN PLAYERS AT ANY CLUB AT ANY ONE TIME INCREASED TO SIX...

Following a recommendation from the Coronavirus Joint Response Regulation Sub-Group, the SPFL Board has approved new regulations regarding loans between SPFL clubs for the 2020/21 season.

In summary, in relation to domestic loans an SPFL club is now permitted to have registered to it:

(i) a maximum of 6 players on loan at any one time plus any approved emergency goalkeeper (increased from 4);  

(ii) a maximum of 2 players on loan at any one time from another club in the same SPFL division (increased from 1); and    

(iii) a maximum of 4 players on loan at any one time from another club in a different SPFL division (increased from 2).  

In addition, the dispensation currently afforded to League One and Two clubs enabling them to sign players on loan in September and February has been extended to Championship clubs.  The “September” window has been amended to October given that the Scottish FA has confirmed that the Scottish transfer window will close on 5 October.

Link

Agree on Hastie though, the only way I see that happening is if another club is willing to take him on loan on the same terms and are actually going to play him. There's no chance Rangers take him back just to have him sitting around.

You really don't blame him for signing that deal at Rangers, because he's clearly never going to make that money again. I knew his spell in early 2019 was a purple patch, but I didn't expect him to be quite this ineffectual. 

Can see Rangers trying to pay him up in the summer to get him off their books. No harm to the lad, but scoring 1 goal in 21 for Alloa, or 2 in 30 odd for Airdrie was probably more indicative of his long-term career than February 2019 was.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Didn't he compare himself to Gareth Bale? Little did we know it was second spell at Tottenham Gareth Bale he was referring to.

He did, around the same time that Curtis Main compared himself to Olivier Giroud (France's second all time top goalscorer) due to leading the line well without scoring goals.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Didn't he compare himself to Gareth Bale? Little did we know it was second spell at Tottenham Gareth Bale he was referring to.

Ach, that's a bit harsh IMO. He said something along the lines of he watched videos of Gareth Bale.

"I still watch him now and try to replicate him. Before games, I go on to YouTube and watch some of his clips and a couple of his goals."

"I looked up to Gareth Bale a lot when I was younger," Hastie told BBC Scotland ahead of Sunday's Scottish Premiership match with Hearts.

"When he was at Spurs in the Premier League before he made his move to Real Madrid, that's when I really focused on him.

"Now, there's stuff he does that I try and replicate - especially his explosive runs. When I pick up the ball, I'll try and go to beat two or three players like he does.

"I always do it then I'll watch him to see how I can work on my game and bring in certain aspects of his. I want to try and make something happen like he does."

Link

I mean, it's pretty standard patter for a young guy in an interview whether it's football, music or whatever: "Who are your influences".

33 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

You really don't blame him for signing that deal at Rangers, because he's clearly never going to make that money again. I knew his spell in early 2019 was a purple patch, but I didn't expect him to be quite this ineffectual. 

Can see Rangers trying to pay him up in the summer to get him off their books. No harm to the lad, but scoring 1 goal in 21 for Alloa, or 2 in 30 odd for Airdrie was probably more indicative of his long-term career than February 2019 was.

Absolutely this. I don't think we done anything wrong as a club by waiting to offer a deal. 1 in 21 for Alloa before coming back and scoring 7-8 in near enough consecutive games is something nobody could have predicted. Not even himself. 

The alternative would be to slap him on a 3-4 year deal before he goes to Alloa and we're stuck with him for years when he regresses to the mean before hoping we can con Kilmarnock into taking another dud. 

I think I'm right in saying that Seedorf has had more minutes that Hastie so far under GA and that might tell it's own story about where Hastie is. The period where Hastie was on good form along with DT was a brilliant time to watch us and I had hoped that we could get him going again - but it simply hasn't happened. 

My biggest concern at the moment is that this is going to be the hardest January window since it was introduced. Players are always reluctant to move up from England and when all we have to offer them is playing in empty grounds, training and staring at the walls of a flat in an unfamiliar town - it makes it considerably harder. I seriously doubt that we will see a huge deadline day influx like we did under Barraclough (although it would be fun) - my expectation is that we will be going to the end of the season with not much more than started on Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think I'm right in saying that Seedorf has had more minutes that Hastie so far under GA and that might tell it's own story about where Hastie is. The period where Hastie was on good form along with DT was a brilliant time to watch us and I had hoped that we could get him going again - but it simply hasn't happened. 

My biggest concern at the moment is that this is going to be the hardest January window since it was introduced. Players are always reluctant to move up from England and when all we have to offer them is playing in empty grounds, training and staring at the walls of a flat in an unfamiliar town - it makes it considerably harder. I seriously doubt that we will see a huge deadline day influx like we did under Barraclough (although it would be fun) - my expectation is that we will be going to the end of the season with not much more than started on Saturday.

Aye.

From the pre-window squad we've seen Archer and Lang move out and Lawleff, Kelly and Smith come in, so you'd imagine the White move if in the post if Scott Burns is reporting it and Hughes isn't denying it (he's just saying there won't be anything 'concrete' until after Wednesday). The Kelly and Lawleff signings presumably removes the empty flat/staring at a blank wall situation which is why I was wondering if that was a route we might be going down where we're looking at players from up here who maybe aren't getting a game at whichever lower league English club and might fancy coming back up the road for a bit.

Either way it feels like one in, one out so in as much as it's going to be tough convincing players to come to the club you're also looking at making the same argument in terms of outgoings.

Agree that we won't be seeing another Baraclough style trolley dash but I'd like to think that we might be able to bring in another few even if we find ourselves looking around in the domestic market at players who wouldn't have to relocate.

Edited by capt_oats

44 minutes ago, Swello said:

Hastie played against StMirren and I thought he was better than what he has been of late.

He was not allowed to play against Rangers and the team performed well and it was hard to change the team for the Aberdeen game.

IMO I would have played Hastie before Seedorf

On Hastie again, if he's sticking around I'd be tempted to play him on his natural side and ditch this idea of him as an 'inverted winger'.

He played on the left for Craigan's u20s, it was only when he broke into the first team that he started playing off the right which was cool while it worked but I honestly don't think continuing to flog that particular dead horse is doing him any favours.