Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Didn't excell at FP but with Leyton Orient he is highly regarded.

I always enjoy when there's a televised FA cup early round because there's invariably some dross ex Motherwell player cruising about. Sure Russell Griffiths was on the telly a while back.

For all I've been saying I've been swerving Twitter (I have), along with that really good Stonewaller interview with Cole I noticed this tactical thread about Sunday's game c/o Joel Sked QTing it into my timeline.

Edited by capt_oats

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

For all I've been saying I've been swerving Twitter (I have), along with that really good Stonewaller interview with Cole I noticed this tactical thread about Sunday's game c/o Joel Sked QTing it into my timeline.

This is right in my wheelhouse. Ty for sharing it.

It was pretty ballsy of Alexander but we looked really like we had an idea of what we were doing to try and nullify Rangers without resorting to holding the 6 yard box. Considering their full backs have been running riot all season we forced them to play a game that didn't suit them at all.

It's been said after last week too but it kind of looks like we've dumbed everything down and it's paying off so far.

12 hours ago, well fan for life said:

This is right in my wheelhouse. Ty for sharing it.

It was pretty ballsy of Alexander but we looked really like we had an idea of what we were doing to try and nullify Rangers without resorting to holding the 6 yard box. Considering their full backs have been running riot all season we forced them to play a game that didn't suit them at all.

It's been said after last week too but it kind of looks like we've dumbed everything down and it's paying off so far.

Yeah, it's not something I go overboard with and I unfollowed a lot of the Scottish Fitba' Stats types ages ago but it's an interesting read particularly in comparison with the previous Robinson fixture (although there should probably be a caveat that we'd not long flown back from Israel and were visibly knackered in that game).

Also, I'll put my hand up, in a previous post somewhere on here I was saying we played a 433 against them in the 5-1 at Fir Park, it was the 4-1 against Celtic we were 433, the 5-1 was 352.

The thread caught my eye largely because Alexander has been surprisingly measured since he came in the door - clean slate, everyone getting a chance to show what they can do, we might have to turn everything upside down but then again we may not etc. In his pre-match he was talking about how his focus was on how we play the game, 60%-70% of our approach isn't going to change but we'll tweak things depending on who we're playing etc. I was pretty sceptical about that ahead of a game against Rangers tbh, but fair fucks to him; going 433 against Rangers and not only making it work but getting a result is pretty fucking bold. 

The point with that is, sadsack that I am, I had a browse about Fleetwood, Scunthorpe and Salford's forums and there's genuinely not much about what his approach to the game is and I'll not lie, I've never watched a Salford game in my life so I've no idea how his teams actually set up. That he's come in and is getting a better tune out of Robinson's players (albeit with a functioning goalkeeper, left back and Devante Cole) and hasn't come in with a Stendel-esque 'philosophy' bodes well IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, it's not something I go overboard with and I unfollowed a lot of the Scottish Fitba' Stats types ages ago but it's an interesting read particularly in comparison with the previous Robinson fixture (although there should probably be a caveat that we'd not long flown back from Israel and were visibly knackered in that game).

Also, I'll put my hand up, in a previous post somewhere on here I was saying we played a 433 against them in the 5-1 at Fir Park, it was the 4-1 against Celtic we were 433, the 5-1 was 352.

The thread caught my eye largely because Alexander has been surprisingly measured since he came in the door - clean slate, everyone getting a chance to show what they can do, we might have to turn everything upside down but then again we may not etc. In his pre-match he was talking about how his focus was on how we play the game, 60%-70% of our approach isn't going to change but we'll tweak things depending on who we're playing etc. I was pretty sceptical about that ahead of a game against Rangers tbh, but fair fucks to him; going 433 against Rangers and not only making it work but getting a result is pretty fucking bold. 

The point with that is, sadsack that I am, I had a browse about Fleetwood, Scunthorpe and Salford's forums and there's genuinely not much about what his approach to the game is and I'll not lie, I've never watched a Salford game in my life so I've no idea how his teams actually set up. That he's come in and is getting a better tune out of Robinson's players (albeit with a functioning goalkeeper, left back and Devante Cole) and hasn't come in with a Stendel-esque 'philosophy' bodes well IMO.

Robinson and McCall were much to a muchness at the end. Both solid managers whom had run out of steam. Alexander I think has been well regarded at previous clubs in large. His sacking at Salford though looks as though it verges on bonkers, he was unbeaten in five games and had won them promotion ffs. Almost sounds like the celebrity squad running Salford have taken lessons from Vlad. 

I still think on Sunday we sat far far too deep in the second half and it could have cost is dearly. We have done this a few times against the OF and it has let to an absolute skelping on a few occasions. 

Robinson and McCall were much to a muchness at the end. Both solid managers whom had run out of steam. Alexander I think has been well regarded at previous clubs in large. His sacking at Salford though looks as though it verges on bonkers, he was unbeaten in five games and had won them promotion ffs. Almost sounds like the celebrity squad running Salford have taken lessons from Vlad. 

I still think on Sunday we sat far far too deep in the second half and it could have cost is dearly. We have done this a few times against the OF and it has let to an absolute skelping on a few occasions. 
Not just against the Old Firm. It seemed to be a trait under Robinson that no matter who we were playing, if we had a narrow lead we would get deeper and deeper as the game went on. Hopefully that's something Alexander can address.

1 minute ago, Richie said:

Not too shabby.
The sale of Turnbull is mentioned, although obviously that will appear in next year's accounts.
https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/01/20/club-financial-results-for-year-ending-may-2020/

The only issue is that we will not have any revenue from games to apply as well. The additional bonuses for finish 3rd (as if that will happen this season) will not apply as well. 

I've not read my set of accounts yet but it's obviously great that we made a profit although the biggest thing during that set of accounts was that we paid off our historic debts as given what's happened since, you'd imagine that the money we would have been paying out to Boyle and Hutchinson has been put to good use.

The accounts at this time next year will be more interesting to see as they will contain the big money for Turnbull, but will I would imagine mask an operating loss due to no punters (although there were some season ticket sales to mitigate that)..

8 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Never mind accounts where the f**k are the signings?

#WELCOMEBIGWEIRDKYLE/MAYBEWEIRDHARRY

Aye, in all seriousness we need to get our arse in gear.

I totally get Alexander wanting to assess the current squad but at the same time we need to make changes sooner rather than later. There is only just over a week left of this window.

We need to prioritise getting the bad apples out the door and adding in some key positions, centre back, centre mid, winger and striker plz.

Also, the SOD, Gallagher and Campbell thing still seems a wee bit up in the air. Hoping this all shakes out soon

55 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've not read my set of accounts yet but it's obviously great that we made a profit although the biggest thing during that set of accounts was that we paid off our historic debts as given what's happened since, you'd imagine that the money we would have been paying out to Boyle and Hutchinson has been put to good use.

The accounts at this time next year will be more interesting to see as they will contain the big money for Turnbull, but will I would imagine mask an operating loss due to no punters (although there were some season ticket sales to mitigate that)..

Yeah there is a line in the Business Review to that end - any thoughts of using the DT dosh for the previously floated infrastructure projects clearly withered on the 'Rona vine...

David and his representatives also handled the situation impeccably and with honour, allowing the club to recoup a fee that will provide a cushion to the economic
challenges Covid-19 has brought about.

18 hours ago, Luke92 said:

Aye, in all seriousness we need to get our arse in gear.

I totally get Alexander wanting to assess the current squad but at the same time we need to make changes sooner rather than later. There is only just over a week left of this window.

We need to prioritise getting the bad apples out the door and adding in some key positions, centre back, centre mid, winger and striker plz.

Also, the SOD, Gallagher and Campbell thing still seems a wee bit up in the air. Hoping this all shakes out soon

Not sure I can see us bringing in 4 more players, certainly not of a level of quality that would make any real difference to the team. 

We've got a fairly big squad as it is, I know were thin on the ground on Sunday in terms of numbers but we were without O'Hara, Long, Hastie, Grimshaw, Carson as well as Donnelly. Not to mention in terms of budget, we're also still paying guys like Chapman and Fox.

Sadly we can't force anybody out the door and I get why Alexander might think it's not the most effective use of our limited time/money to do so. Getting more out of some of the underperformers could be just as effective(and a lot less costly) than emptying bodies mid season and bringing in replacements. 

Although, sounds like there's a new striker coming in shortly(with another one possibly going out from what I've heard). Think having to choose between bringing on White or MacIver these last few weeks has probably made Alexander's mind up on that front.

Edited by Casagolda