Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Swello said:

You think Clarke would pick someone in June who hasn't kicked a ball since January (and may even have been training on his own) - can't really see it TBH.

If he believes he's in the top 4 or so options at CH then yes.

See I'm of the opinion that Gallagher holds none of the cards. The scenarios for me are:

1. He refuses to play, therefore threatening his chances of making the Euros squad. There's options at centre back and he's not established enough to be a nailed on starter.
  2. Factoring in that he's, effectively, got 1.5 years left on a deal we can command a pretty sizeable fee for our club captain and full international player. As much as I don't think we'd be able to get someone of the same quality in at such short notice, we probably would accept a fee.
  3. He realises that he does not, in fact, have a gun to his head. Plays a few more games, extends his contract, goes to the Euros, pockets big Kane in June and we all live happily ever after. 

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

See I'm of the opinion that Gallagher holds none of the cards. The scenarios for me are:

1. He refuses to play, therefore threatening his chances of making the Euros squad. There's options at centre back and he's not established enough to be a nailed on starter.
  2. Factoring in that he's, effectively, got 1.5 years left on a deal we can command a pretty sizeable fee for our club captain and full international player. As much as I don't think we'd be able to get someone of the same quality in at such short notice, we probably would accept a fee.
  3. He realises that he does not, in fact, have a gun to his head. Plays a few more games, extends his contract, goes to the Euros, pockets big Kane in June and we all live happily ever after. 

That's largely where I am on this.

Just now, welldaft said:

There might not be a chance but if we go down that will cost us £1m + assuming it is for only one season. Several million if longer. 

We would rather have arguably our best player in these next few crucial months than take less than £250k. Does not Even begin to make sense. 

And you like the media are commenting that he only has 6 months left. This auto extension may be bullsh1t but the info seems fairly detailed and no one has disputed it which I am quite sure an agent would do...

I'm not for one second suggesting you have a moron like Jim McIntyre in charge, but look at the situation with us and Glenn Kamara last season. He downed tools the moment it became clear Rangers were interested, signed the PCA and was like a man down and it got to the point where we could use 50k to help McIntyre boost the squad or have an unhappy player for 6 month disrupting the team whilst we were in a relegation battle.

As I say, that's quite clearly not going to happen with Gallagher (the idea of anyone letting a player go for the amount we let Kamara go for is insane) but the point remains, if Gallagher wants to leave, then he's the one in the position of strength, not Motherwell.

If the auto-extension is correct, then he might simply just refuse to play.

Finally, the argument about him not making the Scotland squad is also futile. If Clarke thinks he'd be an asset to the squad then he'll pick him. But even if he doesn't, what if Gallagher thinks the opportunity to earn big money in what is likely going to be his last big contract is worth that risk? £10-15k at Celtic/EFL club p/w in a career where he's probably been on absolute pennies until joining you lot is not to be sniffed at.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think the chances of him being one of the top 4 options to play against Harry Kane after kicking a Sondico round his back garden for a few months are vanishingly small - so we'll agree to differ there.

If Gallagher held all the cards (and we are very used to seeing players in that position), his agent wouldn't have placed the "gun to head" pish in the Record or be trying to imagine up moves to Utd. This is a simple case of things going a lot better than envisioned when the original contract was signed and now the player wants to cash in on it (and fair play to him as he's got every right to get a big move).

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If Grant Hanley is playing and captaining Norwich every week who are top of the Championship and Gallagher downs tools at a team who haven't won a league game in eleven, then it's pretty much a straight swap for Clarke. There's no doubt Gallagher's performances in September/October have built up a bit of leeway, but not that much leeway.

The thing that annoys me most about the whole scenario is that the auto-extension was probably agreed with it being viewed upon as a good deal for Gallagher. He had only played one season in the top flight, finishing 9th, since his "career break" as Transfermarkt calls it, so at 27 the job security of a potential three-year deal in the circumstances probably appealed to him. Motherwell shouldn't be punished by the fact he's become an international player in this time. His reputation may have improved since then, but he chose to sign those terms.

36 minutes ago, Mitch said:

3. We agree to allow him to leave in the summer and not trigger the extension.

I’m probably in the option 3 position. Whilst we are a club that relies on transfer income, having him available and focused between now and the end of the season is key. Having him sitting in the stands refusing to play is a nightmare scenario for everyone. Don’t think there is any solution that is perfect for us!

Agree with this and it's what I think will most likely happen- unless someone comes in with a daft bid.

Given his importance to the team, our current position in the table and the slim chances of us being able to replace him with similar quality, I could see us coming to an 'agreement' to waive the extension if he stays and allow him to leave for free in the summer. 

He gets to go to the Euros/gets his big money move and we(hopefully) get to stay in the division. 

52 minutes ago, Mitch said:

This is a bit of a nightmare scenario for us with Gallagher.
1. He refuses to play to avoid triggering the contract and we are left with a high earner in the stands when we are up to our neck in the shit.
2. We punt him in January for a nominal fee and we bring in a replacement (unlikely to be to the same standard as Gallagher).
3. We agree to allow him to leave in the summer and not trigger the extension.

I’m probably in the option 3 position. Whilst we are a club that relies on transfer income, having him available and focused between now and the end of the season is key. Having him sitting in the stands refusing to play is a nightmare scenario for everyone. Don’t think there is any solution that is perfect for us!

If he refuse to play we refuse to pay him 

I think he'll get the extension, as agreed in his original contact. However, there will be a 'gentleman's agreement' that he can leave in the summer if a suitable, nominal fee can be agreed with a club.

Everyone wins out of that. We get a focused centre half for the rest of the season, Gallagher gets his spot at the Euros, a probable move in the summer and we bring in £300k or so to improve the squad over the summer. 

Edit - appears @ropy and I are on the same page here. 

Edited by Desp

34 minutes ago, Desp said:

I think he'll get the extension, as agreed in his original contact. However, there will be a 'gentleman's agreement' that he can leave in the summer if a suitable, nominal fee can be agreed with a club.

Everyone wins out of that. We get a focused centre half for the rest of the season, Gallagher gets his spot at the Euros, a probable move in the summer and we bring in £300k or so to improve the squad over the summer. 

Edit - appears @ropy and I are on the same page here. 

This is kind of why I'm perplexed about his agent throwing a shitfit.

Our whole model is based on "not standing in a the way of a player if he gets an opportunity to progress his career" - the idea that we'd actively price him out the market if say Celtic came chapping at our door is wild.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

You'd be pretty fucked off if your employer came round saying you needed to take a wage cut for a while in order to keep the place in business, only for them to then start throwing money at a new guy to come in as one of the highest earners, eh. 

I hope they go bust. They seem like c***s

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

He would almost certainly miss the Euros and if he is not playing at all his options are probably more limited than if he played. (swello beat me to it..) 

I like Big Deccy. He has been very good for us and at 29/30 I would quite happy if he got a life changing (earnings wise) move. But that all depends if anyone comes in for him and what they are prepared to pay. If he only had 6 months left and signed a pre contract then we would probably take £300-500k and let him move on this window assuming we could get an able replacement. Otherwise he is worth more to us in a relegation battle. 

If this auto trigger is a thing then we have a Scotland International starter for another 1.5 years. That makes  difficult for us to accept anything less than £750k to £1m+. I mean Celtic are apparently paying £2m for Duffy for a year ! 

We will find out soon enough..

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

There might not be a chance but if we go down that will cost us £1m + assuming it is for only one season. Several million if longer. 

I am sorry but those figures are the stuff of fantasy.

They're erecting a statue of Tony Straker.

Swimming pool

Interesting! I noticed Kilmarnock have removed a whole section of seats and are installing a safe standing area. Wondered if Motherwell were doing the same.
Or maybe they’re going to turn the seats round so they face the right way!!!!

Just now, Mustafa_sheet said:

Interesting! I noticed Kilmarnock have removed a whole section of seats and are installing a safe standing area. Wondered if Motherwell were doing the same.
Or maybe they’re going to turn the seats round so they face the right way!!!!

I don't think it'll be safe standing fwiw. I'm pretty certain Burrows is on record saying it's way too expensive to put in due to the age of the John Hunter stand and the infrastructure the sections would need. 

So, with that in mind, I look forward to the unveiling of the Straker statue.