Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Oh sh1t. We don’t get penalties.....

Ah well. I still think he is a grafter and puts in a good shift every game. 

I think a good addition for the next season and a half. 

22 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Quite happy to have a player that actually scores penalties, tbh.

For all he has other faults, we already have one in Mark O'Hara. 

I'm pleased with him signing - it's very rare we actually get a player who has played in the top flight in Scotland as much before joining us at 29. Normally, it's someone stepping up a level, or stepping down a level. I'm just tempering expectations of people asking when the goals will come in six weeks time when we've maybe had one penalty, which he didn't take.

When he inevitably scores against us the next time we meet then it's gonna be heartbreaking 💔

In the list of ex-Livi players that you guys have signed in recent years, he'll be closer to Gallagher in terms of impact than Lamie. If he doesn't start 15 games between now and the end of the season then I'll be surprised. Lawless and Dykes were both by far and away our best players last season.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is it bad that this is the shitshow I remember him for?

I always mind his debut away at Clyde in the cup under McCall, rounded off an impressive display with a goal and was then never seen again.

Mental that was nearly 10 years ago now..

Edited by Casagolda

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

I always his debut away at Clyde in the cup under McCall, rounded off an impressive display with a goal and was then never seen again.

Weird night that. Whole stadium smelt of soup, but they weren't serving soup.

He was faintly unlucky to come through as a wide-man/attacker when we had; Humphrey, Law, Murphy, Ojamaa, and ...Omar Daley for two wide spots, tbh. 

I always mind his debut away at Clyde in the cup under McCall, rounded off an impressive display with a goal and was then never seen again.
I remember that well but then I looked at Wiki which has him down as zero appearances for us which made me doubt my memory.

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
12 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I remember that well but then I looked at Wiki which has him down as zero appearances for us which made me doubt my memory.

Wiki only counts league appearances for some reason.

He's made 2 prior appearances for Motherwell. The aforementioned League Cup game and played the last 15 minutes that same season in the Scottish Cup in what was a 4-0  home win against Queen's Park.

27 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

What about Lee Hollis' silky footwork in the first minute of that video?

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

I'm in the - it's not exciting but probably fairly sensible camp.

It's hard enough to get people here at the best of times, so I think we have to be realistic as to what we can do in the current climate. Lawless knows the club, the league and half our squad so will settle quickly. He's a proven decent mid-table player at this level, with over 200 appearances and 50 goal/assist contributions. 

Mind Barraclough's first signing of the window was Tony Straker on loan from York City? This seems like a far more shrewd bit of business as a first signing.

Agree with this.

Obviously circumstances are very different in this window but a quick check over Robinsons January windows:

17/18
IN
Curtis Main
Nadir Ciftci (Loan)
Tom Aldred (Loan)
Peter Hartley (loan made permanent)
Stephen Hendrie (Loan)

OUT
Louis Moult (Preston)
Jack McMillan (Livingston)
Alex Fisher (Yeovil)
Adam Livingston (Loan) (East Fife)

18/19
IN
Ross McCormack (Loan)
Gboly Ariyibi (Loan)

OUT
Andy Rose (Vancouver Whitecaps)
Ryan Bowman (Exeter City)
Ross MacLean (Falkirk)
Gael Bigirimana (Hibs)
Barry Maguire (QotS) (Loan)
Aaron Taylor Sinclair (Crewe Alexandra) (Loan)
Broque Watson (East Fife) (Loan)
George Newell (Albion Rovers) (Loan)

19/20
IN
Mikael Ndjoli (Loan)
Rolando Aarons (Loan)
Tony Watt

OUT
Devante Cole (Wigan - loan expired)
James Scott (Hull City)
David Devine (QotS) (Loan)
Adam Livingstone (Clyde) (Loan)
Casper Sloth (released)

Generally speaking the players we've brought in have been loans and in their mid-20s. McCormack is really the only outlier on that front.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Not to rain on the parade here, but is this just a thinly veiled cover up for another friend of Declan.

Some laugh when we've assembled our squad with Declan as some sort of Danny Ocean character and he fucks off to Celtic.

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

To be fair I can't really think of anyone  else currently in the squad that I'd have any confidence in scoring from that sort of opportunity

In fairness, it's more the fall out after that game that sticks in the mind than the finish.

1488193993_ScreenShot2021-01-15at14_34_25.thumb.png.3b7e4ac3ee5b357e7093075d01e73180.png

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lionel-ainsworth-left-tears-after-7307456

4 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I'm in the - it's not exciting but probably fairly sensible camp.

It's hard enough to get people here at the best of times, so I think we have to be realistic as to what we can do in the current climate. Lawless knows the club, the league and half our squad so will settle quickly. He's a proven decent mid-table player at this level, with over 200 appearances and 50 goal/assist contributions. 

Mind Barraclough's first signing of the window was Tony Straker on loan from York City? This seems like a far more shrewd bit of business as a first signing.

Some players play good at one club and shite at another right enough but Lawless was brilliant for us when we played him as an attacking winger, the season before we let him off the leash he wasn't so good as a wingback, and had to track back more. We did incredibly well to replace him with Forrest, really thought we'd struggle to get a player to fill the void he left.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness, it's more the fall out after that game that sticks in the mind than the finish.

1488193993_ScreenShot2021-01-15at14_34_25.thumb.png.3b7e4ac3ee5b357e7093075d01e73180.png

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lionel-ainsworth-left-tears-after-7307456

The fall out was hilarious. McGhee was made out to be some sort of monster by fans for upsetting the human highlight reel. Unfortunately Ainsworth was like that for 9/10 games at a time sometimes. Look at how fucking poor he was there.

And that park is a pure tattie field. 

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Totally forgot about this. Lawless out.