Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

The wrong Tommy Wright emoji1787.png. That’s tremendous.

I'm quite tickled at the thought of the Swindon guy seeing that this morning and thinking "Whit?"....

Also the idea of the journalist filing a piece entirely off the back of two guys having the same name and not checking.

Edited by capt_oats

Watching Alexander's interview back just there I thought his comment on the "youth" question was interesting:

"I've got a track record, if you look at my teams at my three clubs I've always had young players playing in those teams. Listen, I played until I was 40 so I'm the last person to judge a player on his birth certificate whether it's at one end of the scale or the other and it'll be no different here."

See, I know the main takeaway there is "all we are saying, is give youth a chance" but it'd be quite nice if we could just like...sign some good players without necessarily always looking at that "development" bracket.

Tbh, while I'm all for us signing some b*****ds I'm quite curious to see what he's actually going to be looking for in a player.

I noticed he'd signed Devonte Redmond from Man U when he was at Scunthorpe and took him again at Salford - he doesn't exactly scream "hammer thrower" (he's currently at Ryan Reynolds and Rob rob McElhenney's Wrexham).

That's not a suggestion that he's someone we'd look to sign, I genuinely have no idea if he was/is any good or not. Just an example of someone Alexander has signed twice in the past.

Spoiler

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Has Alexander not been punted from every managerial gig he's had? Sacked by mega-spending Salford last year?

Well, yeah.

He was sacked at the start of the season when they were 5th and hadn't lost a game. So there's that. He also got them promoted from the National League and took them to EFL Trophy final.

He got Fleetwood promoted from League 2 to League 1.

He got Scunthorpe into the Play-offs. They were 5th in the league when he was sacked there.

Overall his CV is absolutely fine.

1432717923_ScreenShot2021-01-08at14_29_57.png.c5661001cb1f4e6c227eb67ae7fbb435.png

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Has Alexander not been punted from every managerial gig he's had? Sacked by mega-spending Salford last year?

He has, although I wouldn't say that's particularly unusual for a manager these days. He's also been fairly successful at all those clubs for the first couple of seasons before tailing off a bit, and I'm sure most of us wouldn't be too unhappy even if that's all he managed with us too.

28 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Neville's explanation for his sacking was interesting.

“Graham had done a great job for the club over two seasons and the ambition of the club has been quite clear from day one: we want promotion every single season.

“The first manager that left the club was third in the league, the second who left the club had won promotion and Graham was in a really good position in the league, but we always change at a point where we’re doing quite well.

“It’s been our methodology for the last seven or eight years. Sometimes our own personal beliefs in how you approach management is different to the club’s in terms of what we have to do here.

“We’re intent on winning promotion and we won’t let anything compromise that.

“We just felt we wanted to change the way in which we approached it this season, the style of play.

“We were a little disappointed in last season’s performance but Graham getting one promotion, getting us to a cup final and being fifth in the league, it wasn’t a reflection on him as he’s a fantastic manager who did a good job for us.”

Link

It seems a bit harsh to judge a guy who's been sacked for doing a good/great job tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

Calling Capt Oats....or anyone else.

I am convinced I saw a recent podcast with GA promoted somewhere which he must have done last week or two. 

Would like a listen but cannot for the life of me remember where. I thought initially it was  tweet on the clubs official tweet. 

Thanks in advance 👍

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Calling Capt Oats....or anyone else.

I am convinced I saw a recent podcast with GA promoted somewhere which he must have done last week or two. 

Would like a listen but cannot for the life of me remember where. I thought initially it was  tweet on the clubs official tweet. 

Thanks in advance 👍

Was it this one?

It'll be quite funny if we do end up going down this season with 3 full Scotland internationalists- Watt, O'Donnell, Gallagher- and 2 who've been in squads- Kelly and Fox. You'd imagine Turnbull (started the season with us) and Campbell will eventually get caps as well, possibly Polworth, Maguire, O'Hara and Hastie too if we ever end up going to Peru again.  

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It'll be quite funny if we do end up going down this season with 3 full Scotland internationalists- Watt, O'Donnell, Gallagher- and 2 who've been in squads- Kelly and Fox. You'd imagine Turnbull (started the season with us) and Campbell will eventually get caps as well, possibly Polworth, Maguire, O'Hara and Hastie too if we ever end up going to Peru again.  

Didnt think you would go down but do now. This seems to be exactly what happens.

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Almost sounded on the edge of being realistic until you suggested that Polworth could be arsed going to Peru.