Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

He certainly leaves with my best wishes. Things clearly weren't working and hadn't been for a while but he's a good man who did a lot of good for us

This is like the pish people come out with at the funeral of someone they hated - you've spent the past couple of years constantly slagging him off :lol:

I'm off on to Steelmen for the first time in months specifically to see more of this type of content TBH.

33 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:
Surprised at the level of 'Robinson out'. Sure it's been a bad year, but there's plenty credit in the bank no ? I couldn't see Motherwell going down under Robinson, but now you're throwing another unknown in there.
Has he genuinely jumped, or is there a bit of mutal here ?
Wright the obvious replacement, Levein the banter one.

Tbh it’s not just a bad spell. We have been absolutely woeful for the entire year (6 league wins).

We are on the same points now as we were in Dec 2014 (the season we ended up in the playoffs) having played 1 game more than we had then. When we play bad we lose and when we play well we fail to win, something had to change.

In his interview yesterday he sounded defeated and even admitted there are only around 7 or 8 players that are giving all they can for the club.

Still not confident that any of those being tipped by betting sites would be able to turn it around. Players must take some blame too.

Edited by ZX1886

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

This is like the pish people come out with at the funeral of someone they hated - you've spent the past couple of years constantly slagging him off :lol:

I'm off on to Steelmen for the first time in months specifically to see more of this type of content TBH.

Yes because it was clear that he had run his course with us. It was nothing personal against the guy, it wasn't working but I didn't hate him. I believe he gave his best to the job but it was long past time for a change.

Players need to take a good fuckin look in the mirror. They have let down a very decent man and Motherwell Manager. 

I am quite gutted actually. Really liked Robbo and what is not to like. His record (this year apart) was very good given the limitations we work under. I was quite sure he would turn it around in the New Year. The fact he has resigned suggests that was less likely to happen this time around.

I am sure the club will give him some pay off but not the full contractual amount if he resigned. So again from that POV Robbo has done the right thing by the club and has to be thanked for that. 

God knows who we get in now. Decent and available candidates seem to be thin on the ground. We need a motivational and tactical Manager which is hard to come by. I could live with Tommy Wright. Even Malky Mackay 😮 

All the best Robbo and good luck for the future 👏👏👏

I'm going to throw the name 'Paul Cook' into the ring, based on the fact I spotted him on the TansfrMarkt list of available managers, he's "desperate to get back in" to football,  he managed Sligo Rovers for a long time, so he's not afraid of relocating to 'foreign climes' (but he's a Scouser and has tended to manage Northern clubs so probably not an issue anyway)

So that's me with my somewhat-optimistic guesstimate of our next manager.

"You heard it here first" (I say, with about as much confidence as I have in White scoring a hat-trick against the Accies)

22 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agree with all of this, but also, for all the 'should have/could have', we didn't. We've had a bunch of chances to turn things around over the last couple of months and at no point have we really managed it. 

Could well be proved wrong in May, but to me, this is best for all involved. 

Oh yeah I get that. 

It’s clear Robinson has fucked it with some of his signings this summer however, that’s not something I think he can really fix till January(which he’s done previously).

I just felt we were a couple of decent additions away instead of a complete overhaul- which this undoubtedly now is. I think last night was only the 2nd game this season we’ve lost to a team outside the OF by more than a single goal.  

My fear now is, whoever is coming in will be starting from scratch. Anything we had lined up, in or out in January will surely now be scrapped. Of course the other side of that is, the new manager could also start to get more out of those already at the club. 

Essentially f**k knows, as you say we’ll find out in May.  

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

That's similar to Gary Holt's resignation at Livingston where he showed a prescient awareness of the direction in which things were going. You have to credit the minority of managers who choose to resign like this when most managers instead prefer to stubbornly drag a club down with them.

images.jpeg.jpg.772e3a5d827dc1d98eabcc8602c1a0c6.jpg

17 minutes ago, MJC said:

I don't care if he's the b*****d love child of Ian Paisley and Margaret Thatcher, 

I’ve no idea why you’re using that as an example of a bad thing for you. That would probably be the ideal person, given your views.

I'm going to throw the name 'Paul Cook' into the ring, based on the fact I spotted him on the TansfrMarkt list of available managers, he's "desperate to get back in" to football,  he managed Sligo Rovers for a long time, so he's not afraid of relocating to 'foreign climes' (but he's a Scouser and has tended to manage Northern clubs so probably not an issue anyway)

So that's me with my somewhat-optimistic guesstimate of our next manager.

"You heard it here first" (I say, with about as much confidence as I have in White scoring a hat-trick against the Accies)
Looks like he's about to be appointed Sheffield Wednesday manager.

7 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

My fear now is, whoever is coming in will be starting from scratch. Anything we had lined up, in or out in January will surely now be scrapped. Of course the other side of that is, the new manager could also start to get more out of those already at the club. 

Strangely/ stupidly, this is my concern. I mean, Robinsons signings have largely been shite but despite that I was looking forward to a couple of new players. 

Its asking an awful lot of a new manager to come in, assess the squad (get rid of the utter shite that we need to and pretend they were never here) and then add players, all in the course of a busy January when the transfer window is open. Unless of course that manager is already at the club.....

Anyway, Shelley Kerr. Or Ian Holloway. Or something. 

Stephen Robinson's stock was as high as it was ever gonna get in the summer. Shocked to see him flee at the first sign of that going downhill.

Poll to follow.

Edited by Ludo*1

40 minutes ago, MJC said:

under absolutely no circumstances should Keith Lasley be given the job on any sort of permanent basis, be that on an 18 month contract or until the end of the season. Such an appointment would only ensure more of the same as we've seen so far this season.

If the stories about players coming in during the next few days are true , it's more likely they will promote from within , in the short term. 

About a year ago I remember the forum fawning over the Irish managers and how it's probably a market that should be raided more often. Since then two have now slunk off with their tails between their legs, one is a club legend being chased and the other is one week being chased, the next should have a statue built.