Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers, remember it now.

"Stevie Woods is the hero of the day". I know we've had better keepers and he had some howlers but if he was as bad as some people make out he wouldn't have been around as long.

Great interview from Shivute at the end as well.

Jack Hamilton is in his 3rd season as Dundee's number 1 tbf.

36 minutes ago, G51 said:

This is a big deal. Data could give Motherwell a huge competitive edge over other teams in the Premiership if it's used right.

Suppose they needed a new recruitment model now TW has left us.

34 minutes ago, G51 said:

This is a big deal. Data could give Motherwell a huge competitive edge over other teams in the Premiership if it's used right.

We are now living in real life FM.

In all seriousness, I think there is a place for statistical analysis in football but the importance put on it by some is pretty misguided.

There are still so many different variables that aren't accounted for in many of these systems and often the lack of context can result in a totally false impression. Ultimately this stuff can be helpful but a lot of stats need to come with a warning label depending on the context, the player role, their opportunities/exposure and so on.

From my conversations with people involved in the game the folk advocating for this stuff usually haven't played much football before and are coming at the game from a very different standpoint. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it usually results in the posting of analytics without the required football insight on top. Getting the balance right is the key and I'm sure someone like Robinson will ensure this is the case.

4 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

We are now living in real life FM.

In all seriousness, I think there is a place for statistical analysis in football but the importance put on it by some is pretty misguided.

There are still so many different variables that aren't accounted for in many of these systems and often the lack of context can result in a totally false impression. Ultimately this stuff can be helpful but a lot of stats need to come with a warning label depending on the context, the player role, their opportunities/exposure and so on.

From my conversations with people involved in the game the folk advocating for this stuff usually haven't played much football before and are coming at the game from a very different standpoint. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it usually results in the posting of analytics without the required football insight on top. Getting the balance right is the key and I'm sure someone like Robinson will ensure this is the case.

The way good teams use data is they use it to set thresholds for players to scout. e.g. if they're buying a striker, he needs to have an xG/90 of over 0.4 or whatever. Obviously they use more sophisticated metrics than that but that's how it used.

This is then combined with video scouting to evaluate the player.

Data is mostly used to make sure you're scouting the right players. Dougie Wright's interview about it on the Terrace a few weeks back gave a good insight into this.

Fair play to the club for acknowledging that this summer's strategy of "sign pals of Declan" had its flaws.

13 minutes ago, G51 said:

Data is mostly used to make sure you're scouting the right players. Dougie Wright's interview about it on the Terrace a few weeks back gave a good insight into this.

Agreed, the pod with Joel and Dougie was a really interesting listen.

53 minutes ago, G51 said:

The way good teams use data is they use it to set thresholds for players to scout. e.g. if they're buying a striker, he needs to have an xG/90 of over 0.4 or whatever. Obviously they use more sophisticated metrics than that but that's how it used.

This is then combined with video scouting to evaluate the player.

Explain Jordan White

An adjustment to my ratings, to remove bias towards those at big clubs (theory was that playing/scoring regularly at a large club means you're a better player than someone doing it a small club, but I'm not exactly sure what I was learning there), now has Louis Moult 16/17 up to 3rd. 

Only behind Edouard 19/20 and Boyce 16/17.

Both Boyce and Moult sit at 9.9 scores.

Alex Fisher, fwiw, scored 8.3 for ICT before signing for you lot.

Devante Cole scored 3 last season, due to never setting anyone else up for shots etc., is he a greedy striker?

I'm all for this kind of thing to scout players. I think we're long past the point of sending a scout out to scribble down names on the back of a fag packet.

And anything that might prevent us from signing anyone like Jordan White or Ricky fucking Lamie again in future is more than welcome.

20 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers, remember it now.

"Stevie Woods is the hero of the day". I know we've had better keepers and he had some howlers but if he was as bad as some people make out he wouldn't have been around as long.

Great interview from Shivute at the end as well.

Woods was fucking minging tbh

24 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

This, for years. 
Carved out a good career with Celtic and Scotland as goalkeeper coach as well, 

I think it's the actual fact he had the temerity to stick around for so long that annoys me the most about how shite he was...at least the midget, Hollis, Neilsen and 'Sammy' actually fucked off pretty quickly.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suppose they needed a new recruitment model now TW has left us.

I'm surprised we haven't offered Wright the Chief Scout job yet. Might as well get paid for it given he was doing it for free for years anyway.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil