Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

To me, Tony Watt is a player who will excel when he's got something to prove or looking for a new contract (the same shit we got hit with every time Liam Grimshaw entered the last couple of months of his deal). With "security" now in play for Tony, my prediction is that hunger we've seen recently might not be as evident. 

I'll be delighted to be proved wrong, but I won't be surprised if his second half of the season isn't as good as his first. Furthermore, as someone who people are highlighting as our no.1 striker, he doesn't score many goals, and never has done. 

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

To me, Tony Watt is a player who will excel when he's got something to prove or looking for a new contract (the same shit we got hit with every time Liam Grimshaw entered the last couple of months of his deal). With "security" now in play for Tony, my prediction is that hunger we've seen recently might not be as evident. 

I'll be delighted to be proved wrong, but I won't be surprised if his second half of the season isn't as good as his first. Furthermore, as someone who people are highlighting as our no.1 striker, he doesn't score many goals, and never has done. 

It is up to the club to keep him motivated. Take pride in being at peak fitness. There have been several guys like Watt and Polworth who thought they were fit enough but the club showed them that they were not up to standard. Robinson has been great for that.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

You may well be proved right Desp and the evidence of the past would point to your comments above being fairly accurate. 

However there are a number of circumstances that may well differ this time around.

For one he is back home and fairly settled in his life. Two he seems to be enjoying his football and the company of his teammates. Seems like a close knit squad for the most part. Three Robinson has proven in the past he can get players to play better than they have at other clubs. Four even he must know that at 26 he needs to play consistently well to stay in the team and actually look back on his career with some consistency of success. Playing in Europe and having he potential to do so again may keep him motivated. 

If you are right then there would be nobody at all surprised. But I am willing him on (I know you are also) and hoping that he will be an important player for us over the next year and a half. 

Edited by welldaft

I don't think it would be a massive surprise if it pans out the way @Desp talks about purely based on Watt's career to date.

Then again he had the security of a 3 year deal in Bulgaria (presumably on a far better wage than we're paying) and he sacked that off after 6 months. He had a 1 year deal at St Johnstone and just seemed to drift after a few months there. He's some boy is our Tony.

Ultimately he's been in the building long enough to know Robinson's expectations and absolutely fair play to him, he's put the graft in and he's probably in better shape now than he's been at any other point in his career to date and in contrast to someone like say, Chris Long - it seems like Watt genuinely wants to be here so that extra year seems a bit less of a risk.

@Jim McLean's Ghost's post nails it, it's up to Robinson/the club to keep him motivated/engaged enough to maintain that level and equally it's up to Watt to see the value in that. On the face of it he seems to be responding to having a manager actively trying to build a forward line around him and just generally buy into the "culture" around the club.

The concern I'd have (and it doesn't just relate to Watt) is what happens if/when Robinson leaves. There seems to be a clutch of players at the club who have fully bought into the manager and are playing their best football under him.

As others have said Robinson's been great with improving players and there's a list of those who were better when they left than they were when they made their debuts.

Edited by capt_oats

13 hours ago, Desp said:

John Spencer has a lot to answer for - there has never been a player who fell further simply by signing a contract. Because of him and his whole cynical "sign me!" schtick and patently not giving a f**k when he got his huge deal, I'm forever suspicious of players in the closing stages of their deal (or playing well on loan) and to be fair it has been borne out pretty constantly since, even if not as badly as Spencer.

On Watt specifically - it would be brilliant to think that we had found the magic formula after his interest seems to have waned at pretty much every other club over time - but I think it's ok to be a bit cynical about that and it's up to Tony (and the manager) to show that he's in it for the long term. I've really enjoyed watching him this season and he has looked every inch the happy/settled player so far - he doesn't look like he'll score 20 goals but he does look like he can make our front 3 tick and I can live with that assuming Lang and Cole chip in with their fair share.

I'm also more than happy that we've given Watt a new deal. If he does turn to shit or becomes uninterested then we cut our losses at the end of the deal and he moves on like plenty of others before him. Alternatively, he keeps working hard in which case we've got a very good player for this level (if not a prolific goal scorer).

To be fair to Watt he could have just downed tools and not bothered after Robinson played everyone but him at the start of the season but he seems to have risen to Robinson challenge to get fitter and fight his way into the team.

We look much better with watt and Lang together in the team than any other combination we currently have.

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Can we get a contract to Dec to sign tonight please

I'd imagine it will be out of our hands after tonight.

I did take a lot of enjoyment (and extra stress) that the back 5 was Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal and 'Well x 2....

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

Dec was the only recognised centre half playing!

Which was a massive error when Clarke made those late subs going with a really immobile 2 up front.

DG had a great game, but really could have done with another centre half alongside him in the last 10 when they were slinging everything into the box.

Is his contract only until the end of this season?

I also thought that his international performances would mean O'Donnell would get the type of move in January that he was obviously hoping for in the summer but you never know. Staying with us would mean constant game time whereas if he goes somewhere then falls out of the team he might be out of the reckoning for the summer.

32 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

We are definitely not keeping Gallagher, eh? 

An absolutely impeccable performance from him last night. Mitrovic will be having Declan Gallagher shaped nightmares. 

Not a fucking chance of keeping him. He's 29 and missed a chunk of football on account of his...situation.

If his Mr 20% has anything about him he should have the choice of clubs (and salaries) available to him as a free agent that would have seemed an absolute nonsense when while he was jobbing his way back up the leagues with Livi.

I mean, even when we signed him it'd have sounded mental if you'd said that inside 2 years he'd be a fixture in the Scotland defence and keeping Mitrovic in his back pocket as we qualify for the Euros.

It's fair to say he made the right choice when he knocked back Tommy Wright.

Edited by capt_oats