Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

34 minutes ago, ropy said:

Would you care if a sub that had come off had a look at his phone?

I can see the issue if he hadn’t come on yet, he should be engaged in the game.  I can see the issue if he spends the rest of the match on the phone, should be taking an interest.  But a quick swatch?  No issues.  Does it depend on the score?

I would only care if I was looking desperately for anything to deflect how badly my team (or my old teammate's team) was doing. 

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Would you care if a sub that had come off had a look at his phone?

I can see the issue if he hadn’t come on yet, he should be engaged in the game.  I can see the issue if he spends the rest of the match on the phone, should be taking an interest.  But a quick swatch?  No issues.  Does it depend on the score?

@Swello's is the correct answer in the case of this particular controversy.

Taking the question semi-seriously though, I think it's definitely a different vibe with no fans around and players/subs sitting in the stand rather than on the bench. If he's been subbed off and is parked up in the stand with a big jacket on then there's zero issue IMO.

If it was normal circumstances with fans in the ground and everyone in the dugout then there's next to no chance it'd happen.

Edited by capt_oats

That's us now lost our last ELEVEN straight games against both halves of the Old Firm. When was the last time that happened? We usually manage a least a draw here or there against one or both of them but since we drew 1-1 with Celtic in December 2018 we have lost every single one!

Our approach to these games is getting worse by the year and we are beaten before a ball is even kicked. Truly pathetic!

Edited by MJC

Just now, MJC said:

That's us now lost our last ELEVEN straight games against both halves of the Old Firm. When was the last time that happened? Our approach to these games is getting worse by the year and we are beaten before a ball is even kicked. Truly pathetic!

I kind of take your point here but I'm not sure what Liam Polworth playing a defence splitting ball past our own defenders has to do with our overall approach. Game was done at that point.

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I kind of take your point here but I'm not sure what Liam Polworth playing a defence splitting ball past our own defenders has to do with our overall approach. Game was done at that point.

Yes but we see these sort of unforced errors in these games more and more now. We saw it a couple of months ago when we bent over against Rangers, two daft penalties conceded etc. We look terrified from the off in games against both of them and that leads to stupid, costly mistakes. That for me points to a mentality issue.

I'm beyond giving a shit when it comes to games against Celtic and Rangers. It was an effort to even watch it today. Our mentality against them is awful, even Allan Campbell produced one of his worst performances of the season today. 

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think Chapman will do a cracking job at warming the bench tbh.

Are you lot expecting Archer to be any better?...

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

Didn’t lose any league position over the course of the week.  Good platform to build on.

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

I always used to mark these down as 3-0 defeats in any predictions, technically 4-1 is a better result.

This is pretty much my takeaway. I have no strong opinions beyond that.