Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Absolutely no doubt that's what's happening.
What a time though....
JS56108489.jpg&key=4fe24f5e176e4e2823d45cce011953ec6f3a940ad4f94dd777bec625336f3bfa
What a fucking day. George Long and Marvin Johnson have had decent careers to be fair. I could be wrong but is that Conor Grant at the end? If so scored a screamer of a freekick for Plymouth the other night (though I have no idea how his career has gone apart from that).

16 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

What a fucking day. George Long and Marvin Johnson have had decent careers to be fair. I could be wrong but is that Conor Grant at the end? If so scored a screamer of a freekick for Plymouth the other night (though I have no idea how his career has gone apart from that).

Grant's between Laing and Johnson. It's Thomas at the end behind big Tony.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

What was the story with him? Was there not some behind the scenes shenanigans?

Possibly to the shenanigans but I think the generally accepted line is we thought we'd missed out on Marvin so signed Thomas as a fall back then ended up getting the Johnson deal done so ended up with both because...why the f**k not, the bold Les was chucking cash around.

It was #StrakerDay.

I suppose in hindsight it isn't too weird given our league position at the time but his actual deal was til the end of the season with the club having a year option: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/02/03/nathan-thomas-joins-from-plymouth/

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Absolutely no doubt that's what's happening.

What a time though....

JS56108489.jpg

What I love is the complete serenity and confidence on Baraclough's face :lol:

Like, surely he'd seen Straker, Long and Laing play before and knew there was the potential scenario that the whole thing would go tits up? But no, total trust that everything would somehow work out. What a man.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Like, surely he'd seen Straker, Long and Laing play before and knew there was the potential scenario that the whole thing would go tits up? But no, total trust that everything would somehow work out. What a man.

I can clearly remember the tour round the pitch at Fir Park after the home play off game against Sevco. We had suffered through a shite season and kind of knew Barackough was a terrible manager who had signed predominately shite players. However, as I watched him take the adulation of the support and wave at us I, fleetingly, thought he might be ok

better to have loved and lost....

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Clearly I've seen that photo many times but it was only yesterday I noticed how much it looks like Bara's just been photoshopped in.

Some boi.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 09.41.02.png

Edited by capt_oats

Definitely not going with some wild Bara was misunderstood angle or suggesting he's due a reappraisal but here's how everyone fits in compared to our other permanent managers in the time I've been watching us.

I'd also noticed that Robinson was creeping up on McCall and Butcher in terms of number of games managed.

Managers win %:
Tommy McLean (1st June 1984 - 31st May 1994) - P 403 W 123 D 111 L 169 - 30.52%* - (League games only)
Alex McLeish (13th July 1994 - 10th February 1998) - P 156 W 48 D 45 L 63 - 30.8%
Harri Kampman (25th February 1998 - 4th October 1998) - P 22 W 6 D 5 L 11 - 27.27%
Billy Davies (14th October 1998 - 18th September 2001) - P 123 W 41 D 31 L 51 - 33.3% 
Eric Black (16th October 2001 - 24th April 2002) - P 27 W 7 D 4 L 17 - 25.9%
Terry Butcher (24th April 2002 - 17th May 2006) - P 175 W 60 D 37 L 78 - 34.29% 
Maurice Malpas (17th May 2006 - 1st June 2007) - P 44 W 14 D 8 L 22 - 31.8%
Mark McGhee (18th June 2007 - 12th June 2009) P 85 W 35 D 17 L 36 - 39.8%
Jim Gannon (30th June 09 - 28th Dec 09) P 25 W 7 D 8 L 10 - 28.0%
Craig Brown (29th Dec 09 - 10th Dec 10) P 45 W 21 D 10 L 14 - 46.67%
Stuart McCall (30th Dec 10 - 2nd Nov 14) P 174 W 74 D 32 L 68 - 42.5%
Ian Baraclough (13th Dec 14 - 23rd Sept 15) P 34 W 12 D 5 L 17 -35.3%
Mark McGhee (13th Oct 15 - 28th Feb 17) P 62 W 22 D 10 L 30 -35.5%
Stephen Robinson (28th Feb 17 - present) P 160 W 71 D 27 L 62 -  44.4%

The list of Motherwell managers that McLean's stats came from (league games only) is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Motherwell_F.C._managers

Robinson h8rs would probably point out that his numbers have been artificially inflated by the LC groups (his league win % is 38.75% compared to McCall's 45.89%) but McCall was getting bodied out of cups by Albion Rovers and Stjarnan and also only had 1.5 seasons with Rangers in the same league so overall record is a legit comparison IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Marinello said:

Remembering Long and Laing it would have been something else if their signings had occurred later alongside Callum Lang and Chris Long.

An announcer's delight " And starting we have two Longs,  a Laing and a Lang"!!!

Should we sign Wang Shuang (only works if you pronounce it Shang)? Shang & Lang.

6 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

I can clearly remember the tour round the pitch at Fir Park after the home play off game against Sevco. We had suffered through a shite season and kind of knew Barackough was a terrible manager who had signed predominately shite players. However, as I watched him take the adulation of the support and wave at us I, fleetingly, thought he might be ok

better to have loved and lost....

I would have him in the Hall of Fame.

The most surprising stat for me is that Maurice Malpish has a higher win % than any other Manager. I demand a recount. 

On to the game tomorrow. Would dearly love for us to win or even come away with a point. But history tends to show that when there is any expectation or hope that we can cause an upset then it dissolves fairly quickly after KO. 

In many ways there is no pressure on us - it is all on Celtic. That can be a good or a bad thing. We need to start well as I expect an onslaught and Celtic to try and go on the front foot from KO. We need to be composed enough and have belief as a team we can take something from the game. As always we will need luck. Giving away soft penalties or a soft goal early on will set the tone. 

As for the team line up and formation. I would be tempted to go 4-5-1. Goalie and Defence as last game. Watt up front. I expect Grimshaw will be added to midfield to give us a bit of bite and energy. Rest of midfield would be Campbell, Polworth, Maguire and Lang. 

I have seen this movie too many times before and usually leaves me crying.  Every now and then you get to see a happy ending. Fingers crossed for one tomorrow come 2pm.

Would you care if a sub that had come off had a look at his phone?

I can see the issue if he hadn’t come on yet, he should be engaged in the game.  I can see the issue if he spends the rest of the match on the phone, should be taking an interest.  But a quick swatch?  No issues.  Does it depend on the score?