Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

55 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Offsides and fouls given away would take him right up there too.

Nobody can touch him when it comes to "time spent on yer arse". 

Every time he plays, it honestly looks like they've plucked a guy from walking down Fir Park Street to come and play up front. I mean, Lamie is a horrendously shite footballer, but Jordan White doesn't even look like he's a footballer. Grim stuff. Get them both punted in January and tell Declan Gallagher to stop taking the piss when it comes to his mates. 

52 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I was far too young to remember this time consciously (my first game was Feburary 97) but there must have been some sense of regret in the 93/94 season with the way it ended. Not only that we were that close, but that Rangers managed to win the league without winning any of their last five games.

That and not scoring in Dortmund are probably my two biggest "what ifs" as a 'Well fan.

55 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

but there must have been some sense of regret in the 93/94 season with the way it ended. Not only that we were that close, but that Rangers managed to win the league without winning any of their last five games.

I think that story has grown arms and legs the more time that's passed. "If we won our last three games we'd have won the league". Rangers were on easy street for months and just took their foot off the gas. If they really need to win any of those games they would have. In any case, the fannying about cost them the double treble as Dundee Utd went onto beat them in the Cup Final. Good man is Ally Maxwell! 

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Not directly Lamie related but indirectly? Sure.

Mark O'Hara: Centre Back.

Discuss.

Two games. Two clean sheets. Can't really argue with that. 

However, it's two of the poorer sides into the league and we've got Celtic up on Sunday. 

Better than Lamie, regardless. 

My only issue with O'Hara playing CB is that he has lost his man so easily a number of times before (last two games excluded). I am not sure if he is actually any good there or if the last two teams have been so shite it's been a skoosh for him back there. 

Two clean sheets though so I would go with it and keep the shape too. I know we won't we'll go to a back 5 and shite the bed.

He’s done absolutely fine there in the last 2 games and you can’t argue with 2 clean sheets, but Ross County and Livi were both fairly shite and he hasn’t really been tested.

Being able to handle the likes of Ross Stewart (as much as I rate him) and Big JET (as much as I think he’s shite) is a different game from dealing with the movement/guile of an Edouard, Griffiths or Ajeti who he’s likely to come up against this weekend, and I have my doubts he’d manage it quite as easily given some of the goals we conceded earlier in the season when he lost his man.

That being said, he’s not Ricky Lamie so I say stick with the shape and give him a go.

Sunday will be the acid test for Chappers in goal too... I can actually recall him making just the one proper save of note so far (though I admit I don't always pay 100% attention to the stream, so maybe I missed something).   He's either been in exactly the right place at the right time to make an easy catch (which is definitely a good thing in and of itself), or his dive has been unnecessary thanks to a block or goal-line clearance.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It's strange how much better season 93/94 is on just about every stat other than final position. 2nd place in 94/95, but only four wins and a draw away from the playoffs.

I was far too young to remember this time consciously (my first game was Feburary 97) but there must have been some sense of regret in the 93/94 season with the way it ended. Not only that we were that close, but that Rangers managed to win the league without winning any of their last five games.

I made it to every game in 93/94 and it was the best league season of the 90's for me (although we arguably even better in the opening to 94/95 before McLeish messed about with the team). Blowing it against Utd felt terrible at the time but there was no real sense that we were in a fight to win the league, it would have made it interesting and taken it on another week - nothing more or less - I don't think anyone thought we were in with a real chance.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Discuss.

Considering he hasn’t played in that position for years he’s done ok. I can only see him improving the longer he plays there if given the chance. Having big Dec beside him obviously helps as well but he’s still in a learning curve as a  top flight CB.

Proof will be when he’s up against more mobile strikers.

30 minutes ago, Swello said:

I made it to every game in 93/94 and it was the best league season of the 90's for me (although we arguably even better in the opening to 94/95 before McLeish messed about with the team). Blowing it against Utd felt terrible at the time but there was no real sense that we were in a fight to win the league, it would have made it interesting and taken it on another week - nothing more or less - I don't think anyone thought we were in with a real chance.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Discuss.

So I think the main benefit of having O'Hara at centre back is that he's not Rickie Lamie. Which can only be a good thing. 

He's not really been tested too much defensively in his two games but also when the ball is in the air and O'Hara's underneath it I don't face the overwhelming feeling of dread I get when I'm waiting on seeing how Lamie will handball/miss it/foul someone. 

Do I think it'll be a different story against Edouard/Griffiths etc? Yes. Do I think we should change it with Lamie being 'available'? Absolutely not. I'd rather play a one legged Charlie Dunne, Steelman or dig a hole at centre back. 

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Sunday will be the acid test for Chappers in goal too... I can actually recall him making just the one proper save of note so far (though I admit I don't always pay 100% attention to the stream, so maybe I missed something).   He's either been in exactly the right place at the right time to make an easy catch (which is definitely a good thing in and of itself), or his dive has been unnecessary thanks to a block or goal-line clearance.

I'd agree. He looks very competent at collecting crosses, saves... I dunno. His positioning has looked weird at times and that we're down to our (at least) 3rd and 4th choice goalkeepers makes me a little nervous.

On O'Hara, I think it's made Gallagher's job either, because O'Hara is a better footballer than Mugabi or Gallagher, so his big cross-fields pinging about has let Gallagher get on with being a unit. O'Hara is more than capable enough physically, so he's our best option right now.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

On O'Hara, I think it's made Gallagher's job either, because O'Hara is a better footballer than Mugabi or Gallagher, so his big cross-fields pinging about has let Gallagher get on with being a unit. O'Hara is more than capable enough physically, so he's our best option right now.

Broadly speaking this is where I am as well.

It's less an "anyone but Lamie" pile-on and more the idea that not only is O'Hara a better footballer than either the bold Ricki, Mugabi or Gallagher he's also more mobile. For all it's fair to say we haven't really been tested defensively against either County or Livi we've still looked far more balanced with that back 4 than at any point this season.

There's every chance it'll be a different story against Edouard and/or Griffiths but as it stands even if Mugabi and Lamie were fit or if Carroll was available to tuck McGinley in one - O'Hara's still probably better value for us at centre back than he is in midfield compared to the other defenders we currently have in the building.

Even if we went with a back 3 in certain games in the future when Carroll's fit, I'd make the argument for O'Hara slotting into the 'McTominay' role of a back 3.

Edited by capt_oats