Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Serious question, don't you guys love Zander Clark?

Nah, nobody at saints loves any of our goalkeeping options. We realise we can do better for sure, but we’re stuck with them for the time being.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Get up the Helix on your bike, I seem to remember McGhee taking the team up there along the canal

I actually did cycle from Falkirk to Glasgow along the canal the other week. It was great.

Get up the Helix on your bike, I seem to remember McGhee taking the team up there along the canal
Mind the days when Mark Mcghee took the team bike rides and had them running up mountains in Austria? Say what you like about him as a person and a manager but the team in his first season in charge was about the fittest team we've ever had. He even turned Jim Paterson into a prime athlete.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:
9 hours ago, ropy said:

Mind the days when Mark Mcghee took the team bike rides and had them running up mountains in Austria? Say what you like about him as a person and a manager but the team in his first season in charge was about the fittest team we've ever had. He even turned Jim Paterson into a prime athlete.

The difference in McGarry and Quinn amongst others was massive too that summer. 

Last week on the anniversary of the semi-final, I put Louis Moult into YouTube and ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole and rewatched his Open Goal with Si Ferry. Interestingly, he said McGhee done the double sessions and the focus on fitness when he first returned to stamp his authority, but it wasn't so intense the next pre-season, which as we know all too well saw his tenure end with a Zak Jules inspired 5-1 win for Dundee.

12 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

There were fuckin LOADS of wasps there on the opening day of the season last year, TBF. 

Honestly hoping we never see Archer tbh. Thon Pie laddie collected some crosses, looked like he got nowhere near shots. Dunno quite what to make of that.

I'd imagine we'll see Archer at some point. 

Reading between the lines the Pieman has been brought in as a short term cover eg: filling in on Saturday. If Carson's injury had seen him out for a month or something then we'd probably just have run with Chapman and pulled Connelly onto the bench or gone for a mystery box signing like Xenodochof.

Based on his CV alone Archer seems much more a first choice sort of signing with Carson out for a while.

Also, non-GK related I see O'Hara's been in the local press talking about playing centre half.

Edited by capt_oats

14 hours ago, ropy said:

Most of them are at Falkirk, the rest are in hospital, what is left has question marks about it.

I wonder if Connelly will return at the time of the signing it was stated short term ( until Morrison was back from u21 duty)

41 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

I wonder if Connelly will return at the time of the signing it was stated short term ( until Morrison was back from u21 duty)

He's still listed on our Out on Loan page on the OS.

It was a bit weird we didn't announce Connelly was away even it it was only short term. We've announced everyone else, including Sam Muir who's away to Gretna.

I'd imagine he will come back though, we only have 2 goalkeepers at the club just now and I'd imagine having a 3rd around the place would be useful. It'd drop Connelly into our first team group as well. Morrison staying with you guys makes far more sense given his age and the fact he needs games or to at least be competing for a first team spot.

There are another half dozen of our Reserves group who could easily go out on loan just now. Although having said that, Johnson was on the bench at the weekend. From the general chat around the club the gist seems to be we're keen to get as many of those players out on loan as possible.

Edited by capt_oats

A positive goal difference equals a very good season from experience. If only we’d beaten Utd and Accies at home we’d be sitting pretty.

I think the top 4 will stay as it is and we’ll compete with St Johnstone for 5th. Killie will be 7th and the rest f**k knows.

12 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I think the top 4 will stay as it is and we’ll compete with St Johnstone for 5th. Killie will be 7th and the rest f**k knows.

Definitely the top 4 as it is will end the season in the top 4. 

I think 5th to 8th will be between Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone & Dundee Utd. 

9th-12 will be the nonentities of the division.