Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

What a time to hit 1000 pages. 

The only problem with this is if it takes 3 weeks to announce it will take another god knows how long before they come to a conclusion. Our chances of winning the title have all but disappeared thanks to this farce...

Just now, Gallus Numpty said:

As far as I know the SPFL still have no power to do that, so a fine or similar seems more likely.

The players who broke protocol should be banned For x games much like the Celtic and Aberdeen players if it is proven they broke protocol. And they should ensure the replayed game takes place during their suspension or it makes a mockery of the SPFL.......again.

The players who broke protocol should be banned For x games much like the Celtic and Aberdeen players if it is proven they broke protocol. And they should ensure the replayed game takes place during their suspension or it makes a mockery of the SPFL.......again.

I like the idea that there’s still a chance that Killie have to play keepers on the wings.

49 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I like the idea that there’s still a chance that Killie have to play keepers on the wings.

Come on, keep up, that was St Mirren.

Although it is becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish between the COVID 2.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I wonder if we’ll stick with 4 at the back or revert to a back 3 when injured players come back?

Personally I’d stick with yesterday’s formation.

There's a quote from The Times yesterday that seems a decent indication we'll stick with it (it's paywalled so I've not read the rest of the article).

“I like 4-3-3 and it gives us options, especially when you have forwards playing the way Tony Watt did,” Robinson said. “Tony was unplayable That is him much fitter now. That’s the best all-round performance I have seen from here. We have got his fitness to a level that allows his talent to shine. He is a very good footballer and there has never been any doubt about that."

Link

Tbh, I'd imagine that Cole being back helps with making the 433 work.

Edited by capt_oats

I’d also say that O’Hara had a better game in there than he has in midfield this season. Might be different in a game where we have less of the ball and he has to do more ugly defending, but I’d be tempted to stick with him in there for a while and give Maguire a run of games to see if there is a player in there.

I’d stick with the 433 for now as well. 

I think one of the biggest problems with it at the start of the season was, we didn’t have anyone to be the focal point in that striking role to make it work. I mean, contrast Watt’s display yesterday with that of White or Long earlier in the season. 

Watt’s got a bit of everything really. He’s clever, works hard, robust, lovely touch, good link up play, can dribble etc. His performance yesterday and at Pittodrie(albeit in two that day) were textbook displays in leading the line. 

Also credit to Cole. I wasn’t his biggest fan first time round but he definitely offers us something different up there- that we haven’t really had since he and Scott left in January. Impressive shift considering it was his first game in six months. 

Plus, it helps having an on song Polworth to pull the strings. His touch/turn and ping out to McGinley yesterday for the first goal was absolutely delightful. Was also good to see someone look comfortable bombing down the left and putting a ball into the box for what felt like the first time since March- and what a ball it was by the way. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I’d also say that O’Hara had a better game in there than he has in midfield this season. Might be different in a game where we have less of the ball and he has to do more ugly defending, but I’d be tempted to stick with him in there for a while and give Maguire a run of games to see if there is a player in there.

From the way Robinson was talking I'd guess that's what we're going to be forced to do.

The suggestion was that depending on Carson's scan results we may have a decision to make about whether we need to bring in another 'keeper.

“Trevor will have a scan and it doesn’t look great. 

“It’s his knee and we’re just hoping it’s not as bad as first feared, for all reasons.

“Credit to big Aaron. We need PJ [Morrison] to play games and he’s going to be a very good goalkeeper. Hopefully, a No.1 in the future.

“But that was the decision to bring Aaron in just in case Trevor did go down. Now it’s we do need another one depending on what happens with Trevor.”

Link

If it looks like we need to bring in another body as GK cover then I'd imagine we'd just have to run with what we have outfield and ask O'Hara to be OK with being a CB - it's only one game but I wonder if there are Carl McHugh vibes with him where he sees himself as a midfielder but his tools are better suited to centre back.

By my count at the moment we've the following potentially out/unavailable for various reasons:

• Carson
  • Fox
  • Grimshaw
  • Carroll
  • Lamie
  • Dunne
  • Mugabi

Also, I only clocked that Seedorf didn't make the squad yesterday when I caught that he's Mr October on the MFC calendar earlier today.

Edited by capt_oats