Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, in terms of the result yesterday I think it's naive to think that a round trip to Israel, playing a 90 mins in testing conditions with a day recovery wouldn't have an impact physically and mentally. From our starting XI yesterday only Bev didn't play a part on Thursday. Rangers rotated a bit after a trip to Holland and in the end had a fairly comfortable 4-0 win.

That mitigates things to an extent.

Having said that, Robinson put forward the same point in his post-match but admitted himself that it wasn't really an excuse for the result.

He wasn't necessarily chucking players under a bus as he did post-Livi but there's definitely an implied question about mentality when he's talking about "players looking for excuses". I thought his comment about the club not necessarily judging themselves by results against the Old Firm, but he judges himself by those results was...interesting.

I don’t think he said how the club judges themselves more that he hears we are not judged in these games, he could hear that from anywhere

18 minutes ago, Desp said:

I know things are a bit shite just now, but we're not pining for the return of Richard Tait, are we? The same guy who was kept out of our team for months by Liam Grimshaw?

Tait done well for us, but by the end he was done. One goal for St Mirren doesn't change that. 

I don't think anyone is saying we should be getting Richard Tait back but it does seem as though we are lacking a leader in this team akin to him or Hartley.

To be honest our record recent record against the Old Firm, particularly at home is starting to piss me off.

We seem to be swept aside far too easily. I look at lesser teams in the league and they seem to compete a bit better in this type of game than ourselves. It might be a bit of nostalgia but even going back to when we were relegation candidates it felt like we would give the Old Firm more of a game at Fir Park.

You could argue the Old Firm has improved signficantly over the last couple of years, as well as this you could probably say that stylistically we maybe aren't as well catered to defend as well as some of the other teams in the league but for me it feels like we go in with pretty much the same game plan every time expecting a different result.

Clearly the likes of Rangers are not our bread and butter but our record against Rangers is shocking, and sooner or later getting consistently pumped by them at home is going to rub the fans up the wrong way. At the very least, I expect us to be able to compete with them at Fir Park and make things difficult. Yesterday was just too easy.

Whilst pretty shite at football, no way a fully fit Charlie Taxi let’s Jones tear past him the way Lamie did yesterday. Our defence is not only error prone to all hell, it’s as slow as a week in the jail. Under current circumstances I pine more for Dunne than Tait or any other ‘leaders’. 

45 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Whilst pretty shite at football, no way a fully fit Charlie Taxi let’s Jones tear past him the way Lamie did yesterday. Our defence is not only error prone to all hell, it’s as slow as a week in the jail. Under current circumstances I pine more for Dunne than Tait or any other ‘leaders’. 

The thing is it's not even just a pace thing. A defender with half a brain would have at least made some kind of effort. Even if it's to concede a foul or just to block off the run. Jim Paterson had f**k all pace but trying to circumnavigate his arse was nigh on impossible for a winger. 

35 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The thing is it's not even just a pace thing. A defender with half a brain would have at least made some kind of effort. Even if it's to concede a foul or just to block off the run. Jim Paterson had f**k all pace but trying to circumnavigate his arse was nigh on impossible for a winger. 

Agreed, but, in current circumstances, at least if you have some pace it gives you an attribute to offset some of the defences weaker points. I mean I’m not saying Dunne is the ML1 Baresi but at least he could run like a horse to cover up for his lack of ability and footballing brain. 

Tbh I can’t believe I’m championing Dunne here cause I think he’s utter shite😂 it’s a funny old time. 

Edited by Londonwell

7 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Agreed, but, in current circumstances, at least if you have some pace it gives you an attribute to offset some of the defences weaker points. I mean I’m not saying Dunne is the ML1 Baresi but at least he could run like a horse to cover up for his lack of ability and footballing brain. 

Tbh I can’t believe I’m championing Dunne here cause I think he’s utter shite it’s a funny old time. 

Aye. If it wasn't for Charlie Dunne's pace he'd be miles off it but after a bit of a rocky time he turned out to be an absolutely serviceable centre back for us. Lamie looks like a total bust. 

Lamie was always a bit of a shock signing. He'd been a Championship jobber for years. Indeed, it was a surprise that Livi took a punt on him at the time as he's nowhere near being a Prem level CH. It's not like Declan Gallagher where off field issues meant that he'd be middle aged doing no better than a mid-able (By that I mean non-OF) top flight club. Bizarre all round.

22 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Have we ever had such an appalling transfer window? Lamie, White, McGinlay, Hastie, Crawford all varying degrees of anonymous or shite. 

I think while we all pile on with analysis - there's probably less to it than meet the eye and I think this from @well fan for life nails it.

If we have a big squad turnover every summer as we seem to always do now, then it's totally vital that our ratio of good signings to Sloths is high, otherwise we're going to struggle and go backwards. This summer's intake at this point looks really bad overall and I wonder how many of them have it in them to prove us wrong in a Gorrin type way. Opposition managers and supporters pick us out quite often as a team that recruits well - but we're seeing what happens when we seem to have got it wrong.

Add to all that,  I can't help feel that we're one decent offer for Alan Campbell away from real trouble.

I am happy to give Lamie another chance as a back up central defender in a two, but other than that there are any number of other guys that can watch the game from that left sided position.

The thing that really annoys me is not his lack of defensive ability, it is inability to receive the ball and play it forward, it always goes back.  This may be the forward players not showing for it but I would prefer an attempted pass forward to a too short pass back.

I am happy to give Lamie another chance as a back up central defender in a two, but other than that there are any number of other guys that can watch the game from that left sided position.
The thing that really annoys me is not his lack of defensive ability, it is inability to receive the ball and play it forward, it always goes back.  This may be the forward players not showing for it but I would prefer an attempted pass forward to a too short pass back.
If/when Charlie Dunne is back and aimlessly hoofing it up the park to absolutely no one, we'll all be crying out for Lamie and his constant back passes.

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

Add to all that,  I can't help feel that we're one decent offer for Alan Campbell away from real trouble.

8 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

This. We could be in real trouble if, as I expect, he gets his move. 

It won't be a "decent" fee.

It's either gonna be a lowball offer with a sell on in the next few days/ even less in Jan or comp in June.

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It won't be a "decent" fee.

It's either gonna be a lowball offer with a sell on in the next few days/ even less in Jan or comp in June.

I don't think the club would take a low-ball offer now - so it will be comp (which is something we can plan for next summer) or a good offer (which we can't really control) - and comp is far more likely. The main thing that lowers the risk is the state of the finances of clubs below the top level down south - there won't be as much money washing around as was the case before...

I was listening to Lennon talk about Turnbull taking the time to learn how to play at Celtic, can this apply to us e.g. Gorrin in recent years, are we going to emerge from an international break where a bunch of the new boys have got it and put in some spectacular performances?

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I think while we all pile on with analysis - there's probably less to it than meet the eye and I think this from @well fan for life nails it.

If we have a big squad turnover every summer as we seem to always do now, then it's totally vital that our ratio of good signings to Sloths is high, otherwise we're going to struggle and go backwards. This summer's intake at this point looks really bad overall and I wonder how many of them have it in them to prove us wrong in a Gorrin type way. Opposition managers and supporters pick us out quite often as a team that recruits well - but we're seeing what happens when we seem to have got it wrong.

I'd argue that the windows where we've tried to supplement the squad have been the ones we'd struggled the most with rather than the full rebuild jobs.

Looking at our starting XI from IMO our best performances this season 0-0 vs Hibs and 3-0 vs Aberdeen.

Hibs: (433) Carson, O'Donnell, Gallagher, Mugabi, Lamie, Campbell, O'Hara, Turnbull, Lang, White, Seedorf
Aberdeen: (352) Carson, O'Donnell, Gallagher, Mugabi, Lamie, Grimshaw, Campbell, O'Hara, Polworth, Long, Watt

Against Hibs 4 of that starting XI were new signings (ie: players not at the club last season), vs Aberdeen it's down to 2.

This window we've signed 8 new players of those I'd say only O'Donnell, Hastie and Lang were brought in as definite starters:

• Lamie
  • White
  • McGinley
  • Fox
  • O'Donnell
  • Hastie (loan)
  • Lang (loan)
  • Crawford (loan)

I'm not entirely sure what my point is there but it's probably something, something as a strategy knowingly signing players who aren't actually going to improve the starting XI probably causes more problems than it's actually worth.

Edited by capt_oats