Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

39 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Have we ever had such an appalling transfer window? Lamie, White, McGinlay, Hastie, Crawford all varying degrees of anonymous or shite. 

Fox is obviously out for the season and I suppose he might be a passable back up.

Lang gets pass marks I suppose.

It's probably worth comparing it with the 18/19 summer window:

In: Gillespie, Donnelly, Johnson, Taylor-Sinclair, Gorrin, Mbulu
Loans: Sammon, Aldred

We didn't get a tune out of Gorrin until post-winter break, Donnelly took a full season to find his feet, Taylor-Sinclair was a write off and we were trying to get shot of Sammon not long after he arrived.

When Robinson started chucking bodies under the bus after Livi he was talking about him signing the players and it was his responsibility. His post-match today was very "it's-my-responsibilty"-heavy today.

One of the things about this extended window is it's given managers longer than normal to live with their signings, I kind of wonder whether we might be tempted with trying to cut some of our losses earlier than we normally would eg: we moved Fisher and Sloth on in the January after they signed.

8 penalties given away and we're not even out of September yet. For a manager who takes more than a bit of pride in being organised Robinson can't be happy with that sort of patter.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Maguire has been anonymous every time I've seen him but surely he's still a better option at centre back than Lamie? I'd rather not notice somebody being on the park than start at least one goal down every week.

I thought he was ok today. 
As you say, better option than the alternative. 

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Maguire has been anonymous every time I've seen him but surely he's still a better option at centre back than Lamie? I'd rather not notice somebody being on the park than start at least one goal down every week.

Dig a hole at centre back and it'll probably have a better chance of catching a forward.

Possibly one of the more 'yer da' type posts I've made but listening to Robinson's comment post-match where he said (and I'm paraphrasing) that we basically chucked it after the first penalty and we didn't really have much belief of getting back in the game it made me wonder just how much we're missing the leadership element of folk like Hartley and Tait.

Looking at the players we've brought in there's not one that you can imagine bringing the sort of attitude that either of them did.

skysports-peter-hartley-motherwell_44017

image.jpg?width=640

Edited by capt_oats

So that was Robinson's heaviest defeat against Rangers at Fir Park since he's been manager. It also equals the biggest margin of defeat against the Old Firm at home on his watch (there is no Old Firm etc).

I've thrown his results against Celtic at FP in there because, why not? Interestingly he had a better record against Rodgers at Fir Park than he does Lennon and Gerrard.

06/08/17 - vs Rangers 1-2 (L)
29/11/17 - vs Celtic 1-1 (X)
18/03/18 - vs Rangers 2-2 (X)
31/03/18 - vs Celtic 0-0 (X)
26/08/18 - vs Rangers 3-3 (X)
05/12/18 - vs Celtic 1-1 (X)
07/04/19 - vs Rangers 0-3 (L)
10/08/19 - vs Celtic 2-5 (L)
15/12/19 - vs Rangers 0-2 (L)
05/02/20 - vs Celtic 0-4 (L)
27/09/20 - vs Rangers 1-5 (L)

To be clear that's not a criticism of Robinson but I'm definitely finding it hard to imagine this iteration of a team going down to 10 men against Celtic and keeping a clean sheet.

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So that was Robinson's heaviest defeat against Rangers at Fir Park since he's been manager. It also equals the biggest margin of defeat against the Old Firm at home on his watch (there is no Old Firm etc).

I've thrown his results against Celtic at FP in there because, why not? Interestingly he had a better record against Rodgers at Fir Park than he does Lennon and Gerrard.

06/08/17 - vs Rangers 1-2 (L)
29/11/17 - vs Celtic 1-1 (X)
18/03/18 - vs Rangers 2-2 (X)
31/03/18 - vs Celtic 0-0 (X)
26/08/18 - vs Rangers 3-3 (X)
05/12/18 - vs Celtic 1-1 (X)
07/04/19 - vs Rangers 0-3 (L)
10/08/19 - vs Celtic 2-5 (L)
15/12/19 - vs Rangers 0-2 (L)
05/02/20 - vs Celtic 0-4 (L)
27/09/20 - vs Rangers 1-5 (L)

Would that not be due to the change in style of play? 

Looking at that, you can’t help but notice that ‘big physical Motherwell’ had a far superior record against the OF at Fir Park than our current set up. We only lost 1 out of 6 games and even that was by a single goal(a penalty if memory serves me correct). 

Whereas the 5 games since the Jan 2019 change in playing style, we’ve lost them all by an aggregate score of 19-3...

10 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Would that not be due to the change in style of play? 

Looking at that, you can’t help but notice that ‘big physical Motherwell’ had a far superior record against the OF at Fir Park than our current set up. We only lost 1 out of 6 games and even that was by a single goal(a penalty if memory serves me correct). 

Whereas the 5 games since the Jan 2019 change in playing style, we’ve lost them all by an aggregate score of 19-3...

Absolutely. That 3-0 defeat against Rangers was the sexy Motherwell 433 edition.

Like I said in my edit above, it's not a criticism as such but there's a definite point at which it's clear we've erm...found it more difficult.

Edited by capt_oats

I think this is a very fair point to make. Campbell puts a shift in and would 50-50 his granny but he's not a shithouse. Tony Watt is decent at being a shit up top but is there anyone else that could fit that mould? I'd say not.

I'm not saying we need to return to full thunderdome mode but we are exceptionally soft these days. We can play pretty football at times but we are crying out for someone who is just a total and utter b*****d.

From that wee period in 2017 onwards I went into most OF games expecting a point at least and fearing a narrow defeat at worst. I remember finding out the score in the Arfield 0-3 game at work and being genuinely shocked at the scoreline. Pretty striking to see the difference laid out like above.

It's definitely something that's disappeared from the team. Even thinking about that incident right on half time on Thursday night. In seasons past you'd have seen Aldred/Hartley/definitely Tait steaming in ready to fight some c**t. Instead it seemed to be Tony Watt and about 9 Beersheva players hounding the referee. It just seems like nobody looks like they want to fight for a result. 

[/yerda]

I mean, in terms of the result yesterday I think it's naive to think that a round trip to Israel, playing a 90 mins in testing conditions with a day recovery wouldn't have an impact physically and mentally. From our starting XI yesterday only Bev didn't play a part on Thursday. Rangers rotated a bit after a trip to Holland and in the end had a fairly comfortable 4-0 win.

That mitigates things to an extent.

Having said that, Robinson put forward the same point in his post-match but admitted himself that it wasn't really an excuse for the result.

He wasn't necessarily chucking players under a bus as he did post-Livi but there's definitely an implied question about mentality when he's talking about "players looking for excuses". I thought his comment about the club not necessarily judging themselves by results against the Old Firm, but he judges himself by those results was...interesting.

I know things are a bit shite just now, but we're not pining for the return of Richard Tait, are we? The same guy who was kept out of our team for months by Liam Grimshaw?

Tait done well for us, but by the end he was done. One goal for St Mirren doesn't change that. 

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

I know things are a bit shite just now, but we're not pining for the return of Richard Tait, are we? The same guy who was kept out of our team for months by Liam Grimshaw?

Tait done well for us, but by the end he was done. One goal for St Mirren doesn't change that. 

Agree with that tbh, for me it's more a question of the attitude side of things rather than anything Tait did on the park (certainly last season since as you point out he was hardly in the team).

McGinley looks and carries himself like a fucking estate agent FFS.

Edited by capt_oats