Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 11/09/2020 at 13:32, Phillips455 said:

Coleraine vs Motherwell game will be on BBC NI so you should be able to view it on the BBC website. Tommy Wright will be commentating as well. Coverage starts at 7.30pm on the 17th.

https://colerainefc.com/bbc-showcase/

Fuckin made my day this. Tommy Wright griping about Gallagher yum yum yum

Be glad it's taken people this long to notice.

Our model as a club seems to be promote and punt, which has made us a lot of money over the last few years so you can't really argue with it. However the downside is it does feel like we've seen most of our youngsters leave before we've even got a full season out them. In some cases like McKinstry and MacLear, we didn't even get to see them at all.

With Campbell though, we've seen him play well over a 100 games for the club now. He's actually played more games for Motherwell than the likes of Turnbull, Hastie and Scott combined. It's been very enjoyable to see him develop over the years and go from the skinny youth team player who caught the eye for the 20's during their cup final win at Hampden, to a guy who's now just casually strolling through games and pinging in winning goals from outside the box for club and country. 

As much as I'd love for him to stay and sign a new 10 year contract, I couldn't really begrudge him a move if that's what he wants- he's more than earned it. Think it's now just a matter of- do we cash in on him now or let him leave for compensation at the end of the season.

I am hoping the club will do all it can to get him to extend contract on the basis that like Turnbull when valuation is met we will not stand in his way. 

Of course easy for me to say that. He has now seen Scott and Turnbull move on and definitely on many multiples of their Motherwell wage. He is as deserving of a move as both the aforementioned if not more so but I would hate to see him leave for compensation or nowhere near his true value. 

Hopefully we can get past Coleraine and use that money to give the wee man an incentive to renew contract. 

Of course it may be taken out of our hands if another club launches a bid. Q is how much is wee Al worth ? And before anyone says only whatever any club is prepared to pay I would suggest somewhere between Scott and Turnbull. 

Right now we need him as he is by far the most reliable player in midfield and without his goals we would probably still be winless and on 1 point !

I really hope we're not going down this road again where fans are having a pop at the club for not getting a player to sign a new deal. 

The club have covered themselves in as much as he's contracted to a point where, even if he goes, we're protected with training compensation (unless he goes to America like Cadden). 

The player will move on at the end of his deal for a much higher weekly wage, as is his right and what he deserves. 

Can't wait for the usual pant wetting because we haven't physically forced a footballer to sign a new contract against his will...

Edited by Desp

2 hours ago, Swello said:

It's a long time since I've really cared about a player leaving - we sell anyone decent as soon as we get an acceptable amount of money and make no pretence about it and so it's harder to care than it used to be.  Great player though he is, even Turnbull didn't really play enough games for me to be on a downer when he inevitably left (I did care about where he went and how much money we got though) - but I'll happily admit that I'll be a fucking husk when Campbell leaves (I'll probably go full twitter reply guy when he announces he's away) as he's been brilliant to watch since he came into the side against Accies. That said - there's no-one I'd rather see get a big move and make a few quid...

100% this

I think Campbell is smashing obviously but I've never really viewed him as someone we're likely to get a big fee for. I see him as someone that's comfortably a top half Scottish Premiership player but probably unlikely to ever really kick on a another gear or two.

Maybe a Championship side will take a relatively low risk punt on him if he's out of contract next summer but I reckon his peak is probably about Hibs/ Aberdeen or a decent League 1 side, neither of whom are likely to offer us enough to force our hand right now.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think Campbell is smashing obviously but I've never really viewed him as someone we're likely to get a big fee for. I see him as someone that's comfortably a top half Scottish Premiership player but probably unlikely to ever really kick on a another gear or two.

Maybe a Championship side will take a relatively low risk punt on him if he's out of contract next summer but I reckon his peak is probably about Hibs/ Aberdeen or a decent League 1 side, neither of whom are likely to offer us enough to force our hand right now.

Tbh, it feels like this perception is largely why he's still at the club.

However, again I'm ripping off @thisGRAEME's Terrace chat, what will probably define his next move is his goal return.

He was on 6 for the season when the league shut down he's now sitting on 2 from 6 league games - if he adds goals to his game and is hitting 10+ from midfield Turnbull/Donnelly-style then that's the sort of thing that's going to  catch the eye and take him out of the 'he'll tackle his gran' pigeon-hole he's (unfairly) found himself boxed in.

I've always felt that the 'Allan Campbell brand' has kept him under the radar - however in the same way that the Turnbull hype train got into full effect in 18/19 this feels like it's Campbell's season in so much as he's dragging our team through games and scoring goals so with Turnbull gone he has the platform to himself and is legitimately our best player.

Edited by capt_oats