Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Keen to hear from Burrows about how the 'transformational' money will be used. Hopefully the club keeps this pretty transparent given we are fan owned.

I'd normally like to see atleast a small proportion of it go on first team affairs but don't know if that is wise given the amount of guys we have already brought in and the current climate. It'd be good if this would allow us to push the boat out for one more though.

As I said at the start of the week, the knifes will be out if we record anything less than a comfortable win tonight. Could be a tough week.

I hope we don't spend a penny of it on player wages TBH. I don't know if we need a "training centre" like some other clubs have but I'd think that was the sort of thing that makes more sense when you get this type of money.

I'm sure the O'Donnell money before pretty much paid for the south stand, I'm sure I read that the main stand was paid out of a big transfer fee back then (Ian St John maybe?) - I guess we need to think the same way here (and I'm confident they are).

ETA - Aye - f**k it, get Moulty back.

Edited by Swello

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

I hope we don't spend a penny of it on player wages TBH. I don't know if we need a "training centre" like some other clubs have but I'd think that was the sort of thing that makes more sense when you get this type of money.

I'm sure the O'Donnell money before pretty much paid for the south stand, I'm sure I read that the main stand was paid out of a big transfer fee back then (Ian St John maybe?) - I guess we need to think the same way here (and I'm confident they are).

Agree with that.

The only thing I would say is that they could do worse than using some of the money to get Campbell tied up longer term given his deal expires in 2021. Same with Gallagher and maybe Polworth.

St. John mentions the stand being built with the money from his move to Liverpool in the wee clip below btw.

Edited by capt_oats

35 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Good luck to Adam but I have to ask, is the photo they're using for publicity from the game where he came on as a sub and get taken off again because he was cramping up? Not his finest moment.

Not his finest, but the only one he had.

I see we're doing magnanimous "Thank you David" patter.

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Agree with that.

The only thing I would say is that they could do worse than using some of the money to get Campbell tied up longer term given his deal expires in 2021. Same with Gallagher and maybe Polworth.

Yeah definitely agree with the idea of using it to extend Gallagher and Campbell's deals. However, I imagine both of their agents will be advising them against signing new deals so they can walk away for free next summer (compensation in Campbell's case).

I wonder if we were waiting on this going through before offering O'Donnell a deal longer than the transfer window.

In terms of bringing new bodies in, I still think the squad needs to be streamlined before we add anyone new.  I don't care how much money we have in the bank, the Baraclough approach of constantly signing more players in hope of finding a good one doesn't work.

Robinson will be stuck tonight when it's three subs from seven.

24 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

In terms of bringing new bodies in, I still think the squad needs to be streamlined before we add anyone new.  I don't care how much money we have in the bank, the Baraclough approach of constantly signing more players in hope of finding a good one doesn't work.

Fully agree with that. It's why I had mentioned the situation with the Reserves yesterday. As I think it'll be interesting to see how many we actually manage to get out on loan.

Now that Turnbull's away the first team is sitting at 29 bodies. There are half a dozen that you'd say fall into the "young" player bracket who would probably benefit from being loaned out - so that brings us down to 23 which is still as close to being maxed out (albeit with 5 long term injuries - Fox, Carroll, McGinley Dunne and Donnelly).

Taking Robinson and MacIver out of the equation we've 7 players for the 3 forward positions - of which Hylton, Seedorf, Watt and Long are 1 year deals while Lang and Hastie are loans - Hastie's loan has a break in January as well.

The one thing I would say is that having a lump sum of cash in the bank (potentially more if Kipré moves) means that we're probably a bit more flexible in terms of getting a body or two in if necessary and actively looking to streamline down the line.

"It is obviously sore to lose a player of his quality," said manager Stephen Robinson.

"But that is the model at Motherwell. We develop players to go on to a higher level and he is another success story."

Fairly sure Motherwell FC are still competing in European football

doctor.gif.9427916640b88691bc7a5ff9f6646291.gif

7 minutes ago, Green Day said:

"It is obviously sore to lose a player of his quality," said manager Stephen Robinson.

"But that is the model at Motherwell. We develop players to go on to a higher level and he is another success story."

Fairly sure Motherwell FC are still competing in European football

doctor.gif.9427916640b88691bc7a5ff9f6646291.gif

Sadly so are Celtic. But its the same competition so it more of a horizontal Move TBH.

Edited by Phillips455

Thinking there may be a pitch inspection at Fir Park. The amount of rain that's hit the stadium in last few hours has been ridiculous. I am hearing the water is now starting to enter the tunnel (again..!!) and the pitch just can't drain the water away fast enough despite the fantastic work of the poor sods who are volunteering to be extra groundsmen tonight.

39 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Hadn't even completed a full season.
Has at least 1 dodgy knee.

Was out for a year.

Nearly £3m guaranteed and add ons

Fucking great business

Has his performances improved since the Dundee United and Hibs games? He was one of if not thee worst player on the park those two games. 

16 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Thinking there may be a pitch inspection at Fir Park. The amount of rain that's hit the stadium in last few hours has been ridiculous. I am hearing the water is now starting to enter the tunnel (again..!!) and the pitch just can't drain the water away fast enough despite the fantastic work of the poor sods who are volunteering to be extra groundsmen tonight.

it rain hard here for an hour

12 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Has his performances improved since the Dundee United and Hibs games? He was one of if not thee worst player on the park those two games. 

I get the point your making but the fact I watched the other players on those pitches I know you've over egged it slightly