Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Time to part ways with Robbo. He clearly can't make the right substitutions at the right time. Taking Campbell off was a massive mistake given the defensive work he consistently puts in. Losing to Accies is the final straw. We are going to get absolutely pumped by Glentoran next Thursday, but I don't even care about that. Relegation scrap confirmed for the 20/21 season.

In all seriousness I wouldn't worry, you're pretty much just us from a few seasons back.

You've given your manager access to the sweetie shop so hes giving everything a try, once he settles down, picks your best side every week and stops fucking about, you'll still be top half.

The league is dreadful this season.

So toothless in the final third despite our striker habit over the summer months. White looked isolated and Lang totally wasted out wide.

Robinson has made plenty of mistakes during his tenure, but he also gets much more right that he does wrong. Win on Thursday and escape next Sunday with a bit of respectability then we have to push on from there.

Twitter giving the manager a few more games seems a bit drastic.

53 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Best midfield outside of the old firm and struggling for goals. Maybe having 8 bang average players in the forward line to choose three from wasn't such a good idea

Pretty much this 

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

In all seriousness I wouldn't worry, you're pretty much just us from a few seasons back.

You've given your manager access to the sweetie shop so hes giving everything a try, once he settles down, picks your best side every week and stops fucking about, you'll still be top half.

The league is dreadful this season.

Thanks RG. Between you and the dog I may just survive this evening. 

We have decent defence and good midfield but f**k all out wide and up front. 

We probably deserve 5 draws from our play or 4 draws and a win but to have only 2 draws is pitiful. 

Maybe selling Turnbull will be our salvation as we did not have him last season but still finished 3rd. I would rather he stayed but we don’t have any funds left and we need a striker or 5 that looks interested and capable of scoring! 

FWIW I think we will be safe this season but I am not convinced by top 6 whereas before I was hoping for top 5. 

1 hour ago, SIWY86 said:

Time to part ways with Robbo. He clearly can't make the right substitutions at the right time. Taking Campbell off was a massive mistake given the defensive work he consistently puts in. Losing to Accies is the final straw. We are going to get absolutely pumped by Glentoran next Thursday, but I don't even care about that. Relegation scrap confirmed for the 20/21 season.

First time caller.

Goalie through to midfield, we're actually really good and I'm actually enjoying watching those aspects of our game.

Carson is a Guardiola-esque kind of goalkeeper, great passer, excellent shot stopper. 

O'Donnell is a big upgrade at right back and Gallagher has been solid so far other than a silly tackle up at Ross County. Bevis has improved a lot, even just this season IMO. He's a solid defender, his distribution isn't always great but I'd actually say it's improved a bit in the Hibs and Accies game. Lamie isn't a LB but he's filling in and not doing bad considering. 

Our midfield 3 are a joy to watch, particularly Turnbull and Campbell. Turnbull's touch and passing range is first class and Campbell's energy and desire is a perfect compliment to him.

Then we get to our forwards and they've been dreadful so far. Seedorf gets a pass from me, mainly because of the low opinion I had to begin with and the flashes he's shown. The rest, hopeless. White is trying his hardest but not convinced he's a premiership level player, Lang might have something but just hasn't shown it the past couple of games. Hylton looks poor, IMO against both Hibs and Accies, him coming on has made the side look severely weaker. Long, I just wish we hadn't signed him tbh, he doesn't suit our style and major questions still about his attitude. Hastie is fucking horrific. Hold my hands up, I thought he'd be a good signing, he wasn't. Which leaves Tony, who I think needs to start the next game assuming he's fit. He's the only one I can see holding his own in that CF position.

Our upcoming fixtures don't make for great reading, but who knows, maybe playing against teams who don't play 11 behind the ball might suit us.

In all my years supporting Motherwell we’ve always had a striker better than most of the bottom six sides. I’m not sure we’ve got that this season.

I know Long hasn’t looked good at all, but if you’d asked any of us to pick between White and Long last season I doubt there’d be anyone picking White.

I think we need to bring Polworth back into the midfield for Glentoran although I’m not sure who’d I’d drop out of O’Hara and Turnbull.

Our problem is that we have not got a forward worthy of the name at the club. We have a couple of carthorses in White and Long but they are incapable of playing the lone centre forward role with two "inverted wingers" supporting them. And it doesn't help that said "inverted wingers" are utter shite and would struggle to get a regular start in the lower leagues. It's been a trademark of Robinson's Motherwell teams that we have no creativity and no penetration up front. He hasn't signed an adequate frontline player for almost three years now since Louis Moult left in the January 2018 window. That's why we have been awful to watch for the last two years bar a brief period between January and April 2019 when Turnbull and Hastie were finally bguveb their chance, but apart from that we have been utterly turgid to watch under Robinson.

We're becoming too reliant on Turnbull, which is Robinson's fault as there's nobody else even close to being good enough in the front three to share the burden. 

I wonder if we'll improve as a team if we lost Turnbull, much like we did when McFadden went to Everton. 

P.s All I want for Xmas is Gboly Ariyibi. 

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Drop Seedorf, play Lang as a 2nd striker and switch to a diamond.

632715659_ScreenShot2020-08-22at20_15_19.png.71aed1101cdbcc16f0b12fac0df05c7d.png

I like the look of that. If it worked, we could sink the titanic with the amount of deadweight we'd be left with in the squad.