Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It appears that our European Opponent's game (Glentoran vs HB Torshavin) will be live streamed on the BBC website. I am not sure if there will be any region locking but hopefully there wont be.

There game is on Thursday 20th August so if you are interested in it then you should check the BBC website closer to the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53785675

Last week's news and all that but I noticed Robinson was still pretty chippy in his post-match on the club YouTube.

GR: You asked the players for a reaction after Wednesday night and you said you'd got it but do you feel like the players feel like they reacted well?

SR: Yeah. Well, some of them weren't on the pitch to react but the ones that were on I thought were excellent. I thought it was a really, really good performance.

*Looks at Jake Hastie and Liam Polworth*

Not to pile on Grimmy but after the heavy hinting about O'Donnell covering left back I thought playing him in his natural position ahead of Grimshaw, in hindsight, was the right thing to do. @Al B's post in the match thread was a pretty spot on appraisal of what we could have won on Saturday.

It's a small sample size but I can't be the only one who's noticed that we seem to be getting far more out of Seedorf with him playing on his natural side rather than as an inverted winger.

Also, I mentioned this the other week but the amount Carson is getting on the ball outside his area is interesting particularly taking Big Bev's distribution issues into account. I'd be interested to know how this compares with his 17/18 season as #1 and also with Gillespie last season.

Proper sweeper keeper vibes - the ML1 Neuer.

202335153_ScreenShot2020-08-17at11_24_00.png.547b19b83a7dbc0e50909db290640814.png

Edited by capt_oats

Yeah in my head that's how we would line-up too. I thought Lamie looked decent enough at centre-back against Ross County, before two not-so-good games against Dundee United and Livingston, so the thought of him at left-back against Martin Boyle at the weekend did give me the fear, but full marks to him, he did manage to keep Boyle quiet and have a good game.

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Yeah in my head that's how we would line-up too. I thought Lamie looked decent enough at centre-back against Ross County, before two not-so-good games against Dundee United and Livingston, so the thought of him at left-back against Martin Boyle at the weekend did give me the fear, but full marks to him, he did manage to keep Boyle quiet and have a good game.

The ball he played into the channel with the outside of his boot was a peach. Keeping him in there also means we've 6ft+ players across the back 4.

I thought Robinson's comment in his post-match when he mentioned Lamie's versatility gave a hint as to why we've brought him in - besides him being a pal of Declan and Tony obvs.

As an aside with O'Donnell added to the squad this must be the most 'local' players we've had in years.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

The ball he played into the channel with the outside of his boot was a peach. Keeping him in there also means we've 6ft+ players across the back 4.

I thought Robinson's comment in his post-match when he mentioned Lamie's versatility gave a hint as to why we've brought him in - besides him being a pal of Declan and Tony obvs.

As an aside with O'Donnell added to the squad this must be the most 'local' players we've had in years.

Certainly when you compare it with last season, when Campbell, Polworth, Gallagher and to an extent Scott were the only regular starters who were Scottish.

Defence in general looked much better on Saturday, O’Donnell obviously making a huge difference- playing full backs in the full back position, hopefully it’ll catch on. 

In fact I’d say from Carson through to the midfield, we looked pretty good. The front area is still a concern though. 

Nearly 60% possession, 17 shots and double figures for corners but Marciano only had one save of note to make really. Certainly lacking a cutting edge/ bit of quality in the final third. 

Lang was impressive again but obviously still finding his fitness, was burst after an hour. And while White and Seedorf have their detractors, they’re kind of in on merit at the minute. The drop off when they went off to what replaced them was frightening. 

Plenty of shouts for Watt to get his chance(me included) but he looked very poor/sluggish when he came on. Same for Hylton who offered virtually nothing and I’m not even sure Long actually touch the ball?!? Hastie an unused sub says it all about his contribution so far as well.  

Certainly when you looked at all the options we had before a ball was kicked, I doubt many folk had White and Seedorf as two of our starting front three.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Teams last year marked Dec Gallagher and let Peter Hartley have the ball short anaw. Until we get a second baller back there it will always be the case.

Hartley was servicable. the bigger problem was when we started the season with Dunne.

I thought Mugabi was better in the second half and made more positive passes. The problem of a poor ball playing centre back is compounded when your full backs also can't pass.

i think there is a good argument for Mugabi to have been on the right and Gallagher on the left. meaning if they left Mugabi alone he has can take it on to get an easy pass to O'Donnell rather than giving it to Lamie which doesn't really improve the chances of a good forward ball.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

I’m not even sure Long actually touch the ball?!? 

@capt_oats touches graphic above claims he touched it twice.

The stats that can be produced these days do shock me at times - I didn't think it would be possible for someone to play for fifteen minutes and only touch the ball twice.

Also, regarding Carson's distribution, it has been very good the past few games. I didn't notice it as much in his first season, but the amount I'm noticing it now tells me it must be a marked upgrade on Gillespie's. If only Carson could now work on saving the high number of penalties we will invariably give away this season.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

27 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

@capt_oats touches graphic above claims he touched it twice.

The stats that can be produced these days do shock me at times - I didn't think it would be possible for someone to play for fifteen minutes and only touch the ball twice.

Also, regarding Carson's distribution, it has been very good the past few games. I didn't notice it as much in his first season, but the amount I'm noticing it now tells me it must be a marked upgrade on Gillespie's. If only Carson could now work on saving the high number of penalties we will invariably give away this season.

Fwiw: I'm just taking screenshots off WhoScored? I'm not 100% as to what their criteria is for each metric eg: what constitutes a 'touch'. I noticed on Sky's coverage that they've been using touch maps and what not so I'd guess that they're using the same data source.

I'm wary of leaning too heavily on stuff like that but it gives an illustration of who's actually involved and where without necessarily diving into the gimpy xG type chat.

Edited by capt_oats

On the forwards thing - it is possibly worth sticking with Lang/White/Seedorf for a month and try to get some semblance of consistency - I think we have the basis of a decent starting 11 based on Saturday but we need to let them play together...