Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

It appears that last nights thundwrstorm has Impacted Fir Park. Straight for Alan:

The game is likely to still be played FYI.

Never been one to want to move away from Fir Park but maybe this is showing that this is why a possible move is on the cards due to the actual structure of the stadium, personally would hate to see us leave though.

It seems to happen a lot with severe weather, I remember a few years back, I want to say we were playing Killie, and just after the game there was a torrential downpour and they had water coming through the main stand into the press area and had to do all the media outside in the stand.

The fact that the damage this time appears to be in the Cooper is different as you'd expect it to be more weatherproof.

4 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

It seems to happen a lot with severe weather, I remember a few years back, I want to say we were playing Killie, and just after the game there was a torrential downpour and they had water coming through the main stand into the press area and had to do all the media outside in the stand.

The fact that the damage this time appears to be in the Cooper is different as you'd expect it to be more weatherproof.

You'd be amazed at how easily buildings flood with birds nests, leaves etc on the roof. 

On 09/08/2020 at 20:27, ropy said:

Each season I look for our first goal because it means we have something chalked up.  Could be a 3 - 1 loss But at least we have something.  You don’t want to be going into the third game of the season without even scoring a goal!  We don’t want this to become a thing.

Well we are up and running

He has to take the share of the blame. His player choice is very strange at times. Turnbull at LW to squeeze in Polworth, Leaving out Campbell. Chris Long Starting every game despite being honking only worse player Jake Hastie who still appeared in all 3 games.
A few times he's subbed off the only player who have looked like any kind of threat. There was no recruitment for RB, He's had a share of misfortune with injuries on the left to be fair Tony Watt seems to have disappeared as well. With Long's form you'd think we'd see more of him

(This was something I wrote elsewhere but I couldn't be bothered trying to retype/rewrite it.)

He absolutely has to take his share of the flak.  Playing White (or any player of that nature historically) lends itself to lazy shelling of long balls from the back.  Turnbull can't get in the game when the ball is spending most of its time in the air above him.  No harm to White, but seen so many players like him over the years - will always give away too many fouls but then not get the ones he probably should; an option off the bench sure but if starting him is the play for the year ahead I fear the worst.  

I was trying to work out who his comments last night were aimed at - I like it may be a broad shot to a few of them. 

My initial thoughts when he talked about "expecting to get a move to a higher level" was either Turnbull or Long, especially when neither have played particularly well so far. However, he then goes onto mention about the reaction to being left out the team. Those two have started all three games, haven't they? So is it Tony Watt, since he never appeared last night? Then again, I was under the impression that he never left the club and never actually wanted to either (Robinson mentioned "since they've returned to the club". 

Its probably Long in the main, but I suppose we'll see when the team gets announced on Saturday. 

This might sound a bit Well Fans III (or whatever variation we're on now) but Chris Long is fast becoming one of my least favourite players of all time.

I get that the vast majority of the players who play for us have no real connection to the club and its just a job for them but between taking an age to sign a new deal, his face constantly tripping him and his shite performances so far this season it seems as though Long isn't even trying to hide the fact he would rather be anywhere else but here.

It's funny how much difference a few games can make on your impression of a squad for a season.

As good as Grimshaw was last season, I think everyone knew his technical limitations and it was probably reassuring that any elongated slip up and Tait was back in the team, we don't have that comfort blanket anymore.

By the time Long eventually agreed a new deal we had signed Watt, White and Hastie and had Lang in the pipeline. If I had been Robinson then I'd have told Long to chase himself and prioritise other areas for cover. 

You can probably call Robinson and MacIver youths or backups, but even taking them out of the equation, when will we have a game where Seedorf, Hylton, Hastie, Long, Lang, White and Watt will all feature? Even including subs? That's seven first team wages as well.

As much as I'm a fan of Polworth, was very clear to see he was a downgrade on Turnbull when they switched last night.

32 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Playing White (or any player of that nature historically) lends itself to lazy shelling of long balls from the back.  

Yeah, it was brutal stuff last night. 

It’s been obvious the last few games we’ve missed missed a focal point up top, so I wasn't surprised to see White get the nod. Sadly with him up there, that just gave us the convenient excuse to lump high balls forward in his general direction all night.  

At full back though, you have two guys who are offering us nothing going forward(and are actually costing us goals as well). O’Hara as the sitting midfielder doesn’t really work for me either, it limits what he’s actually good at and he doesn’t exactly offer much in the way of subtlety- so it’s no surprise we just went sideways and back before it’s inevitably lumped forward. 

Robinson can point the finger at the players if he likes but there’s a lack of cohesion and too many square pegs in round holes that must surely fall back on him and his set up/recruitment. 

12 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Posted this in the match thread as well but probably worth a discussion here as well. Certainly not holding back. Wonder who he's referring too when he sites lack of commitment, can surely only be Chris Long?

He was talking about more than one player in the interview BBC played this morning.

I didn't see the Dundee United game but we missed Donnelly a lot more than I expected us to last night. Turnbull, Campbell, O'Hara and Polworth are all probably better footballers but in a game where we're being overrun in midfield and struggling to get a foot on the ball they're not really who you want. 

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

This might sound a bit Well Fans III (or whatever variation we're on now) but Chris Long is fast becoming one of my least favourite players of all time.

I get that the vast majority of the players who play for us have no real connection to the club and its just a job for them but between taking an age to sign a new deal, his face constantly tripping him and his shite performances so far this season it seems as though Long isn't even trying to hide the fact he would rather be anywhere else but here.

I said this about him Last year, I cannot take to him at all. Didn't help when he wasn't re-signing as he wanted to go play in the Championship down south or with Celtic or Rangers.
I am all for us being a stepping stone club but you have to be better than "decent" to make those claims.

Off at a tangent here anaw but I think Polworth is a waste of a jersey about 66% of the time anaw.

I see the team are out training today, under usual circumstances I'd have guessed a day after a game they'd be in doing rehab only but looked like a fair amount of activity on the pitches at Dalziel Park there.