Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 hours ago, steelmen said:

We played breidablik a few years back when we were knocked out by Roy Carroll’s team?

I was there - some atmosphere/sports centre vibe (I did like that the pie stand was just a guy with a BBQ at the turnstyles and they had scented candles in the gents)...

DSC00248.thumb.jpg.ce44fcc68112dcd7906b82e606bf5432.jpg

IcelandTripJuly2010162-1_zps0d40b3e8.jpg.595bd5a32d732c2e15f24161f32dc959.jpg

(2nd photo isn't mine as I'm in it :) )

Edited by Swello

22 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I agree, it’s hardly time to panic after a couple of games. 

However, it’s worth pointing out that this is pretty much a continuation of where we left off last season. We’ve only won 2 league games in 2020- taking 9 points from a possible 33.

Much like the thunderdome ran it’s course, is it fair to say our current set up is beginning to look a bit one note and predictable as well? We’ve had 60% possession in both games so far this season and on both occasions, the opposition have seemed fairly happy with it.

Of course, it’s early days this season and we’ve lost both games narrowly. If Turnbull can get himself fully fit and Robinson can find some working combination between the front three we could be laughing.

At the minute though, we do look a fairly disjointed rabble a long way off that. With no full backs for the foreseeable and no idea what his strongest 11 is, it’ll be interesting to see what Robinson does on Wednesday. 

I agree with a lot of this. I don't think Robinson necessarily needs to rip it up but I think there's an argument for evolution of sorts - what that looks like IDK.

It's a good point about the 60% possession - when the 433 was in full flow a lot of our goals were coming from counter attacks. Hastie against Livi and Seedorf against Hearts were peak examples of that:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

As it stands though, against both County and United we've spent large parts of the game playing in front of their defensive blocks without really looking like we're going to break them down.

I'm not going to pile on Hastie but he's a good example of the problem we have in so much as if he's not able to get in behind he's not really doing anything - he's not putting crosses in and he's not getting shots off equally he's not offering a target to hit from diags in the same way Scott or Cole did.

According to WhoScored? we put 22 crosses into the box on Saturday, played more passes and fewer long balls than United (according to Sky our passing was 79% successful which is some going given Big Bev's performance).

1723168936_ScreenShot2020-08-10at10_55_16.png.d63564c336a18107a33ee8cbb735a824.png

Ultimately, for all that you could count the clear cut chances we had on one hand - if that.

Unlike his 2nd season where Robinson doubled down on the Main and Bowman by adding Sammon and launching it at them looking at the forwards we have with Long, Watt and White along there are at least different "options" there. It's not simply a case of the same player x 3.

The issue Robinson's got at the moment is that what he thought would work for his starting XI may not actually be the best mix in practice.

Edited by capt_oats

After suffering through the first two games, it strongly feels like we are no where near a "first choice" team at this point - it feels like we are changing the team about in the way that we are used to in the LC groups and I've got a bit of sympathy with that as most players look a mile off it at the moment and need game time. If other teams in the league look sharper, it could point to us having a relatively poor pre-season (as everyone was under the same limitations).

The other point is that it's often taken Robinson a while to hit on the best 11 - and I think we will see that this season as by our standards, we've got a lot of options in the squad. Painful as the first games were, I still think we've got the basis of a good team, even if it will probably be September before it clicks properly.

I didn’t see any great evidence of the push for the disallowed goal other than the defender flying through the air but we got penalised a few times in the opposite box too.  Time to practice leaping without roughing up the opposition. 

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Glentoran or Havnar Boteflag it is then.

Pity, either would have been a fun trip.

I didn't make it to the Faroes the first time, so I'd have been all over that. They brought a decent support to Fir Park last time too - big fishing boat flotilla into Aberdeen probably...

Glentoran fans seem like proper crackpots if Twitter is anything to go by.
To be fair, if you venture into the comments when the club put something on Facebook or Twitter you'd probably say the same about our fans.