Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Hastie is so shite it is unreal.

Grimshaw is getting a lot of stick but I think we all know what we are getting with Grimmy.

Chris Long, I just don't like.

I am becoming the moaning face auld cúnt I should be.

Hastie is the classic example of a player who went for money over development, he gambled on himself and it appears he has lost.

An absolute shadow of the player we had for those few months, who knows he might get back there but it won't be with us at this rate.

11 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Hastie is the classic example of a player who went for money over development, he gambled on himself and it appears he has lost.

An absolute shadow of the player we had for those few months, who knows he might get back there but it won't be with us at this rate.

I am beginning to think that he actually won, set up for life.

I'm not remotely close to panicking about this season yet. For better or worse, Robinson's seasons have followed the pattern of slow starts and grim performances while he figures out his best team and style of play, before we eventual click and start playing like a Top Six team -sometimes too late to actually finish there in the table though. 

This time three years ago we were mounting last minute comebacks to scrape by Edinburgh City and losing 4-1 to St Johnstone. Two months later we were at Hampden. This time last year we were lucky to draw 0-0 at Almondvale, getting horsed by Celtic and going out the cup to the worst Hearts team in decades. We finished 3rd.

He's dug us out of much deeper holes with significantly worse squads on multiple occasions before and I think it's pretty ludicrous for folk to write off his chances of turning it around this season already.

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm not remotely close to panicking about this season yet. For better or worse, Robinson's seasons have followed the pattern of slow starts and grim performances while he figures out his best team and style of play, before we eventual click and start playing like a Top Six team -sometimes too late to actually finish there in the table though. 

This time three years ago we were mounting last minute comebacks to scrape by Edinburgh City and losing 4-1 to St Johnstone. Two months later we were at Hampden. This time last year we were lucky to draw 0-0 at Almondvale, getting horsed by Celtic and going out the cup to the worst Hearts team in decades. We finished 3rd.

He's dug us out of much deeper holes with significantly worse squads on multiple occasions before and I think it's pretty ludicrous for folk to write off his chances of turning it around this season already.

Totally agree. 

Folk panicking and predicting a battle at the bottom after two games is just mental, regardless of how utterly pish and insipid we have been in those matches. 

Most people, including some opposition fans seemed fairly impressed by the squad we amassed over the shutdown, with the majority having us marked down as top six in their seasons predictions. 

I still think that could, and should, be the case. In my opinion Robinson seems to be going through one of his over-thinking phases and trying to fit square pegs in round holes to accommodate certain players, and trying to negate the opposition rather than let them worry about us, especially at home. Having a bit more strength in depth from middle to front seems to be giving him a selection and shape headache, he's got to decide on his strongest 11 and stick with it for a bit to gain some momentum and continuity, although a couple of injuries and Lang's stupid red card haven't helped in that respect.

At the back hopefully McGinley gets back quickly, as big Bombscare Bevis gives me the absolute fear. 

Would be nice to get some points on the board in midweek against Livi to get us up and running, or else some heads might start to explode with both Hibs and Celtic away coming up, and a local derby sandwiched in between. 

Trying to deflect from another disappointing league performance. 

Europa league draw tomorrow. Usually I would be excited but not being able to attend or travel to any games and our current form has me less up for it at the moment. 

Over on Steelmen I suggested it would be just our luck to pick a plum second round tie v Tottenham or AC Milan. That would hurt being unable to watch in person home or away. That of course assumes we get that far. Play as we are just now and we will end up doing a Kilmarnock to Bala Town or such like.  And if we were to get through then a one legged tie v Tottenham or similar would be a blessing. Probably would still be a cricket score....

17 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Trying to deflect from another disappointing league performance. 

Europa league draw tomorrow. Usually I would be excited but not being able to attend or travel to any games and our current form has me less up for it at the moment. 

Over on Steelmen I suggested it would be just our luck to pick a plum second round tie v Tottenham or AC Milan. That would hurt being unable to watch in person home or away. That of course assumes we get that far. Play as we are just now and we will end up doing a Kilmarnock to Bala Town or such like.  And if we were to get through then a one legged tie v Tottenham or similar would be a blessing. Probably would still be a cricket score....

Therea also the possibility that we could go through without kicking the ball. The draw will take into conisderation the current travel quarrintines/exceptions for each country that have to be submitted today. This means it further limits who we can actually play.

The issue with this is if the away team are unable to travel due to the home teams country restricting it, it is up to the home team to arrange a neutral venue in another country. This is ok for teams like rangers and celtic who could afford it but we would be screwed if this was the case. On the opposite side, we could go through against an extremely hard opponent if they have to face this.

I am hoping we get one of the welsh or northern irish teams atvhome as that would be the best result on paper. There is a higher chance that we could get Tottenham in the 2nd round due to all of this but you have to remember that the 2nd round takes just after the premier league starts again so we may be in a much better state to play them at home (assuming we do make a killy of the first round).

I agree, it’s hardly time to panic after a couple of games. 

However, it’s worth pointing out that this is pretty much a continuation of where we left off last season. We’ve only won 2 league games in 2020- taking 9 points from a possible 33.

Much like the thunderdome ran it’s course, is it fair to say our current set up is beginning to look a bit one note and predictable as well? We’ve had 60% possession in both games so far this season and on both occasions, the opposition have seemed fairly happy with it.

Of course, it’s early days this season and we’ve lost both games narrowly. If Turnbull can get himself fully fit and Robinson can find some working combination between the front three we could be laughing.

At the minute though, we do look a fairly disjointed rabble a long way off that. With no full backs for the foreseeable and no idea what his strongest 11 is, it’ll be interesting to see what Robinson does on Wednesday. 

Edited by Casagolda

21 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

giphy.gif

Fwiw: here are our opening 6 results for Robinson's previous seasons.

17/18

701983699_ScreenShot2020-08-09at19_03_38.thumb.png.d5f84a98ab47a56c6afe64bd39eb554d.png

18/19

918238449_ScreenShot2020-08-09at19_08_28.thumb.png.777648d4707d5eb645fec39a7d885dd6.png

19/20

2063226863_ScreenShot2020-08-09at19_09_46.thumb.png.c6c587053619b56c2e3c4b9a83dd9913.png

Robinson was clearly scunnered in his post-match interview yesterday and his focus (rightly) seemed to be the final third. It's true for every team but normally by this point we've had pre-season games plus Betfred - last season for example we had played 8 games which had we been looking at similar this season might have allowed Robinson to get daft ideas like sticking Turnbull wide left out of his system.

We tried that first half on Monday and it was largely useless and while I've a lot of time for Hastie - his confidence looks utterly shot and we've effectively started both games a man down as a result.

While we don't look like a well oiled machine it's worth pointing out that the margins in the two games have been 2 daft defensive decisions (and a missed penalty).

I thought it was interesting that Robinson was saying of Lang that we thought we had the "solution" with him...but he got suspended. I know his red card colours things a bit but looking back to Monday 3 of our 4 best chances actually involved him. He had a header shortly before his sitter and the penalty came from his knock down at the back post.

The run of poor form in February was largely a knock on from losing Cole and Scott and a frontline of Seedorf, Long and (on current form) Hastie doesn't change that. We still look blunt up front.

Arguably we've looked more of a threat when we've chucked White on.

Edited by capt_oats

Each season I look for our first goal because it means we have something chalked up.  Could be a 3 - 1 loss But at least we have something.  You don’t want to be going into the third game of the season without even scoring a goal!  We don’t want this to become a thing.