Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wonder what proportion of those missing people have disappeared due to gambling debts?

So we shouldn't try and raise awareness because we've previously accepted money from a gambling firm? Is that the point you're trying to make?

24 minutes ago, Desp said:

So we shouldn't try and raise awareness because we've previously accepted money from a gambling firm? Is that the point you're trying to make?

The problem isn't with Motherwell doing it, it's with Paddy Power doing it. It's obviously better than them doing nothing, but it is hugely hypocritical. Literally this morning I've seen a tweet from someone basically pointing out that when he was losing £40k+ a year with Paddy Power their way of dealing with that was to make him a "VIP" customer, not to have a wee check on his welfare. It makes my skin crawl when gambling companies pretend to care about these things.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The problem isn't with Motherwell doing it, it's with Paddy Power doing it. It's obviously better than them doing nothing, but it is hugely hypocritical. Literally this morning I've seen a tweet from someone basically pointing out that when he was losing £40k+ a year with Paddy Power their way of dealing with that was to make him a "VIP" customer, not to have a wee check on his welfare. It makes my skin crawl when gambling companies pretend to care about these things.

Maybe save your ire at the organisations that are leaving it to Paddy Power then...

It's a tough one IMO

Having witnessed gambling/booze/drugs destroy peoples lives around me I can certainly understand the need for the help and that these companies should offer the correct help. However it's often left to the lowest paid people in their contact centres who have had a 25 min power point presentation with key phrases and boxes get ticked for their paper trail.

6 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Maybe save your ire at the organisations that are leaving it to Paddy Power then...

Are you suggesting that Paddy Power have no responsibility to their customers? They are literally the only people who will know how much money this guy was spending with them.

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Ethics of the gambling industry aside, I'm not sure how what we're doing is actually helping raise awareness of missing people in any conceivable way? You'd think displaying their names/ faces in some way might be more useful than, er, anonymous black silhouettes?

Apart from the fact we are talking about it on a football forum. Faces may make sense but surely you would need to seek approval from 1000+ families.  Too complicated. 

Well done Paddy Power and Motherwell. 

Well, it appears that someone within out squad had a false positive. Theh will isolate for 7 days so they will moss yodays game against Dundee United. No name as of yet but we might be able to decide it from todays line-up.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/08/08/club-update-on-covid-19-testing/

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

Well, it appears that someone within out squad had a false positive. Theh will isolate for 7 days so they will moss yodays game against Dundee United. No name as of yet but we might be able to decide it from todays line-up.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/08/08/club-update-on-covid-19-testing/

Depends how early in the week "earlier this week" was but given they've had 2 further tests since the initial false positive you'd think it'd be the start.

In that case Carson did the press conference yesterday and Campbell, Watt, O'Hara, Gallagher, Grimshaw, White, Polworth, Semple, Hylton and Hastie were all in training going by the photos that went up on the socials. Harry Robinson's in the 3rd photo of the IG post along with White.

Eev_KvDXYAAcD_L?format=jpg&name=large

Eev_GAPXoAUUcqg?format=jpg&name=large

Eev_H2NXsAISQAJ?format=jpg&name=large

Eev_CzfXYAEFgBt?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by capt_oats

It does seem a bit bizarre that we’ve went into the season with only one natural full back in the entire squad- who’s been out injured for over 6 months and is presumably still out for the foreseeable. 

Similar to how we have an abundance of guys who can ‘play anywhere across the front three’ but lack an actual central striker. Well Long certainly isn’t the answer anyway, time will tell on Watt and White. 

However finding someone who can play that role properly is surely the key to actually beginning to knit a pretty disjointed looking front three and midfield together. Personally, I’d bin both Long and Hastie for Wednesday.

Go for Hylton, Seedorf and one of Watt/White through the middle.