Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

As for MacIver and Semple, I'd sooner see them develop out somewhere else until Christmas, rather than them taking two empty seats on a bench they're unlikely to get on from. 

I'd agree with this but I suppose there's no harm in having them around the squad to see how they do until the lower leagues start up in October.

7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

For me, the fact that we have used Donnelly there so frequently in pre-season was what suggested Mugabi's cards were marked and without being massively harsh, I'd like to think if we were that bad at the back for injuries, we'd give Devine or Hussein a go.

Did Robinson not confirm that Mugabi hadn't been playing in the bounce games because he and Long were slightly behind everyone else rather than him being out of favour. Not that he'd come out and say he's not in his plans but you know what I mean.

He missed the United game (as did Long) and was an unused sub against Rangers but played minutes against Killie and Accies.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd agree with this but I suppose there's no harm in having them around the squad to see how they do until the lower leagues start up in October.

Pretty much this. The staggered start dates and late window closing means there's plenty opportunity to have them around the squad.

45 minutes ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

A question purely for fantasy football purposes, is Jake Hastie likely to start this weekend/regularly throughout the season?

I think he will start on Monday, thereafter it will be down to performances

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Did Robinson not confirm that Mugabi hadn't been playing in the bounce games because he and Long were slightly behind everyone else rather than him being out of favour. Not that he'd come out and say he's not in his plans but you know what I mean.

He missed the United game (as did Long) and was an unused sub against Rangers but played minutes against Killie and Accies.

Pretty much this. The staggered start dates and late window closing means there's plenty opportunity to have them around the squad.

I think our thoughts on loans will be informed by utilisation and performances during August and September.

53 minutes ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

A question purely for fantasy football purposes, is Jake Hastie likely to start this weekend/regularly throughout the season?

I'd say aye.

Yes he will be lucky to get even close, same up front where in reality I think five players are fighting it out for the three spaces. Hastie,  Lang,  Long, Watt, Hylton.
If three of them are playing there's a good chance the other two will come on as subs as it's up front where we're often looking to change things.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

When Robinson gets a signing wrong, he's usually very good at realising the error of his ways and punting them sharpish, even if they are under contract. I'm guessing in a summer of budget cuts, wage deferrals etc, that might be a bit harder, but I would think given our depth both at centre-back and in the front three, given how little they have seemed to feature during pre-season, he must be trying to work an exit for Seedorf and Mugabi.

If it was up to me, I'd be trying to get MacIver and Semple out on loan so they don't stagnate with lack of gametime. 

Not quite sure where Barry Maguire will get any game time this season. You'd think O'Hara and Donnelly would both need to be out for him to get a sniff in the DM role.

Remember if Hastie does well we could lose him in January, Seedorf being around may fill that gap although we have managed to sign the odd ‘out of favour’ winger at that stage of the season to good effect.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Outside left - Inside Left - Centre Forward - Inside Right - Outside Right

Left Half - Centre Half - Right Half

Left Back - Right Back
GK

Clearly what we are doing.

Inverting the inverted pyramid. 

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That's Devine, Hussain and Cornelius all been added to the First Team squad list on the official.

29 bodies in total.

Mental that we seemingly are just tossing money around.

Rangers don't have 2 centre forwards to rub together and we have signed 4.

A few players are clearly surplus to requirements. Seedorf, Mugabi, Maciver, McGuire. And Semple needs to go out on loan when the lower leagues start.

For balance the Reserves currently have 7 players so it'll be interesting to see what happens there and whether there are any promoted from the Academy when that level starts back up.

Out:
First team: Hartley, Tait, Ferguson, Gillespie, Livingstone, Ilic, Manzinga, Aarons (end of loan), Ndjoli (end of loan), O'Hara (end of loan) = 10
Reserves: Hemfrey, Brown, Kettings, Starrs = 4
Total: 14

In:
First team: Lamie, White, McGinley, Fox, O'Hara (loan made permanent), Hastie (loan), Lang (loan) = 7
Reserves: n/a
Total: 7

Given the timing and also the situation with Tait leaving you'd think that most of the extensions would reflect the reworked budget. You'd also think that with Wigan's situation it means we've pretty much taken on 100% of Lang's wage but all the other signings barring O'Hara and White look like they are likely to be on less than the players they've replaced eg: Fox = Gillespie, Lamie = Hartley, McGinley = Tait, Hastie = Aarons.

With the extensions and the squad as it stands we've 36 players across both First Team and Reserves. Last season across both it was 43 (including Ferguson, Devine, Livingstone and Morrison who had all been loaned out).

Reading the quotes from Robinson's press conference on Friday then 'rona or not binning the "gambles" is probably something we can all get on board with.

"Anybody I have signed, I have watched for quite a long time. There's been nobody I have taken a gamble on, there has been nobody I have needed to watch again.

"Every year we take a couple of gambles, bring in maybe foreign players or boys with electric pace that we hope might progress.

"I don't think I have done that this year, I have been able to get boys that I believe will be able to enhance the squad and enhance the team.''

Link

Edited by capt_oats