Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

I agree with you in a sense that it could be one or the other but he’s clearly been identified as our “top target” in a sense if we are paying a fee. I think he may be used more often as a wide option though and not necessarily a first choice striker. Filtered in with a more congested fixture list this year, we need that extra depth and quality. It even gives more scope to change formation with 2 up top or one in behind the striker etc. I think everyone would agree that after Long re-signing we are still a winger short as in a first choice starter. So Lang provides that in multiple positions.

Fwiw: I'm still bang up for us signing Lang. I agree with you that he'd be a wide option rather than a #9.

It's just some shift from Robinson talking about running with a squad of 15-16 first team players to ending up with - at last count - 21.

Obviously there are trade offs: Fox will presumably be on less than Gillespie, Dunne's signed a short term deal that presumably reflects his situation, Lamie and McGinley are probably covered by Tait and Hartley leaving and I'd guess all the extensions that have been signed reflect our revised budget.

Still though...

I wouldn't necessarily read much into the fee as an indication of anything. To me that seems far more of an opportunity cost.

Our original contact seemed to be about a loan, Wigan's administration presumably put an unexpected option to buy on the table. Again, assuming all the press chat about our interest in him  is accurate and the fact you've had Scott Burns running with it from our side and Nixon talking about it from a EFL side suggests there's something in it.

This is where we seem to be just now (I've shoved MacIver wide right for balance):

1368240888_ScreenShot2020-07-10at14_02_30.png.32d34c5c1b6dd6a4a010d0fff1f84c22.png

Edited by capt_oats

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

1368240888_ScreenShot2020-07-10at14_02_30.png.32d34c5c1b6dd6a4a010d0fff1f84c22.png

If we can bring in Lang or a left winger I think the strength of the squad is looking really fucking solid on paper.

The only other position I am concerned about is RB but I presume Donnelly is going down as cover there.

We have exceeded expectations thus far, I had worries that the financial situation would have had a bigger impact on our summer signings

"mutual compensation"

We can confirm that Dom Thomas has completed his move to Dunfermline Athletic after a mutual compensation agreement was reached.

Link

"sizable sell-on clause"

With his contract due to expire at the end of the current campaign, and with regular first-team football looking unlikely, the club has allowed the player to move to Rugby Park, but has protected its interests with a sizable sell-on clause.

Link

Cheers Hibernian Football Club club.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

With regard to the coverage... has there been any hint of what's happening with Motherwell TV when the games start up again?  I've just forked out for another month's coverage, but maybe I'd be better off putting that money towards a season ticket (that'll barely get any other form of use, as I'm in Eng-er-land and unlikely to travel)

50 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Bloody hell.  We've actually made money on our transfer of Dom Thomas to Killie...  got to admit, didn't see that ever coming.  

What do you think, £1k out of a £10k deal?

8 minutes ago, Yorky said:

As it stands I think this is the strongest squad we’ve had for years, and we’ve got it done early.

What could possibly go wrong....

In all seriousness I am quietly confident at least of top 6 but I do worry when we as a fan base get all excited. It rarely ends well. 

Would be refreshing if we start the season on fire - go a few rounds in the Europa and replicate last season in the league with decent cup runs. Not asking for much...

Similar to what I said about O’Hara being a wise long-term purchase in light of the fact that not all of Turnbull, Polworth, Campbell and Donnelly will be here for very long, I imagine a move for Lang would be similar. Much more expensive than O’Hara you’d have to say but still, a relatively similar scenario. All of Long, Watt, Hylton, MacIver and Seedorf are out of contract at the end of the season, with Hastie going back to Rangers from his loan then too. (Providing he isn’t recalled in January.) That means that while the forward area looks promising on paper just now, there’s not a lot of long-term planning with it realistically. Lang is someone who would come straight in to the first team and you’d hope would be on a much longer contract than those here currently and would therefore allow us to either plan ahead on a more long-term basis, or cash in with another good deal if he has a really positive first season.

Yes the squad is looking pretty full currently, but you’d also love to see someone like Lang come in as it’s also just a bit exciting seeing us (supposedly) attempt to make a signing of this ilk. It’d also be great to try and hear the announcer rattle off a front line of Lang, Long, Watt, White...

Edited by CSmith

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:
"mutual compensation"

"sizable sell-on clause"

Cheers Hibernian Football Club club.

giphy.gif

Could it be that the mutual arrangement is between the player and the club and that Dunfermline paid nothing, so we get our cut of that, £0?