Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Totally agree with this. Feels like we just need to get the team and his head just right and he'll go absolutely daft for goals. Great strike on him and just enough pace to make him a worry.

And he's snide as f**k. I really like Long and it takes me one closer to my dream-team of 9 scousers alongside Gallagher and Turnbull.

I've got a huge amount of time for a forward line of snide c***s. 

I've Tweeted at Alan Nixon saying that Long is re-signed and asking if that means the Lang deal is off.  
If I've done this Twattery thing correctly, maybe we'll get a confirmation soon.

It'd be surprising if we'd throw some money at another forward now, wouldn't it?  Quite a 'statement of intent' if we do 

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There he is...

Chris Long, Smiling? Surely not.

Glad he’s back has a ton of potential to fulfil and at times he was frightening, electric pace and some deadly finishes. 

I don’t necessarily think this means the Lang deal is off as he offers something completely different to the others up top and out wide. The club probably already knew Long had signed a new deal before we even negotiated with Wigan. 

27 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I don’t necessarily think this means the Lang deal is off as he offers something completely different to the others up top and out wide. The club probably already knew Long had signed a new deal before we even negotiated with Wigan. 

I'd be surprised if that was the case - we seem to have made our first contact with Wigan on 17th June about a loan, Wigan went into administration 1st July and the story about us looking at a permanent deal on the 6th. So the interest has been there for a month - give or take.

Given we've been back at pre-season since 15th June I don't imagine we knew he'd be signing and let Long go full Scott McDonald to just sack off pre-season. Although having said that, it's clear from Burrows' Twitter updates to fans that the negotiations with Long have been ongoing I'd like to think that we'd have factored that deal being on the table while we've been speaking to Wigan.

Having said all that, we've presumably known for a couple of days since we've clearly booked ad space for the billboard graphic and delivered the creative.

Edited by capt_oats

Happy to see him sign for another season. Although Lang looks exciting Long is a safer option as we know he can perform at this level. I honestly don’t think we now need Lang, we’ve more than enough options up front.

Long was getting better as the season went on IMO and so I'm pleased that he's back - the last game we had at Hearts, he was outstanding if memory serves. He has got enough pace to cause most defenders in our league a problem - he's deceptively fast in fact and it makes a difference at our level.

The main problem is that another 1 year deal means that we won't have a settled player but I suppose it never hurt with players like McDonald and Jennings who always made it pretty clear that they'd rather be elsewhere but were good for us anyway. 

34 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Happy to see him sign for another season. Although Lang looks exciting Long is a safer option as we know he can perform at this level. I honestly don’t think we now need Lang, we’ve more than enough options up front.

A three year deal for Lang takes him past Long’s time with us, bring in Lang for longtime 

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd be surprised if that was the case - we seem to have made our first contact with Wigan on 17th June about a loan, Wigan went into administration 1st July and the story about us looking at a permanent deal on the 6th. So the interest has been there for a month - give or take.

Given we've been back at pre-season since 15th June I don't imagine we knew he'd be signing and let Long go full Scott McDonald to just sack off pre-season. Although having said that, it's clear from Burrows' Twitter updates to fans that the negotiations with Long have been ongoing I'd like to think that we'd have factored that deal being on the table while we've been speaking to Wigan.

Having said all that, we've presumably known for a couple of days since we've clearly booked ad space for the billboard graphic and delivered the creative.

I agree with you in a sense that it could be one or the other but he’s clearly been identified as our “top target” in a sense if we are paying a fee. I think he may be used more often as a wide option though and not necessarily a first choice striker. Filtered in with a more congested fixture list this year, we need that extra depth and quality. It even gives more scope to change formation with 2 up top or one in behind the striker etc. I think everyone would agree that after Long re-signing we are still a winger short as in a first choice starter. So Lang provides that in multiple positions.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Playing rangers at Ibrox on Wednesday 22nd in a friendly.... And IT'S LIVE.

How do you work this Motherwell TV stuff?

What is the login and password if you have a ST? I haven't seen any email come out about it!

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Long was getting better as the season went on IMO and so I'm pleased that he's back - the last game we had at Hearts, he was outstanding if memory serves. He has got enough pace to cause most defenders in our league a problem - he's deceptively fast in fact and it makes a difference at our level.

The main problem is that another 1 year deal means that we won't have a settled player but I suppose it never hurt with players like McDonald and Jennings who always made it pretty clear that they'd rather be elsewhere but were good for us anyway. 

Correct he made some great runs but very seldom received the ball

Cant wait for him and Turnbull in the same team … … can bet your bottom dollar Turnbull will see the runs and supply the ammunition for him