Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I am a bit gutted at Long.

I am assuming that means the Lang deal is dead. Long is a decent player but I get the feeling a lot of Motherwell fans thought a lot more of him than I did.

I guess his move to a massive club never materialised hence he's came back to sign the offer we've had on the table for the last few months.

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am assuming that means the Lang deal is dead. Long is a decent player but I get the feeling a lot of Motherwell fans thought a lot more of him than I did.

I guess his move to a massive club never materialised hence he's came back to sign the offer we've had on the table for the last few months.

I wonder if the deal is still on the same terms or will we invoke the 'Tait' clause?

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

If true then I am happy that Long is staying. I think he is a superb player and some of his finished last year were excellent. If he can get his sh1t together then he could really kick on next season. But this is all based on a billboard outside a pub.  Must be true...

Guest superward

Could be it's an old image being recycled on the bill board no?

If not then I'm right into announcing players this way to be honest.

Edited by superward

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I agree with this. I mean I don't dislike Long but Lang looked like a totally different sort of forward to what we're used to.

42 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

One Billboard Outside Motherwell, North Lanarkshire.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I agree with this. I mean I don't dislike Long but Lang looked like a totally different sort of forward to what we're used to.

giphy.gif

Lang deal seems to pretty much still be on just personal terms etc to be sorted. There is a few English clubs in for him however you’d think with our ambition we are showing he’d match that. He’s a kind of player who fits the “can play across the front 3” also an option for in behind the striker.

2 hours ago, superward said:

Could also be Long is coming up to negotiate some fire that up knowing he has to drive last it. Subliminal. 

I think the deal is on. Good news if true. Also wonder if it is only for one year. I think if we could get him on two years we may be able to cash in if he has a great season. But would expect only 1 year. 
Good times...

11 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I like Long and wanted him to stay but I hope we haven’t paid over the odds to keep him.

He was originally offered an extension way back in January. if he’s come back to the table 6 months later and 4 weeks into pre- season cause the Covid fucked his move back down South I hope the offer reflects that. Something similar to what Tait was offered. 

I also liked the sound of the boy Lang but that looked a bit too good to be true. Just can’t see how we were going to afford to pay a 6 figure fee in the current climate- especially when I imagine in their current situation, Wigan would have surely been looking for the majority of it paid up front. 

Long is probably the safer bet but the Lang deal sounded a bit more exciting, I’d imagine as you say that’s dead now though.  

I reckon Long has the potential to randomly catch fire and hit 20+ in a season. I'm not saying it'll necessarily happen with us or even at all but I won't be surprised in a few years if he's scored 23 goals for Tranmere by Christmas and gets sold to a Championship team for £8m.

5 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I like Long and wanted him to stay but I hope we haven’t paid over the odds to keep him.

He was originally offered an extension way back in January. if he’s come back to the table 6 months later and 4 weeks into pre- season cause the Covid fucked his move back down South I hope the offer reflects that. Something similar to what Tait was offered. 

I also liked the sound of the boy Lang but that looked a bit too good to be true. Just can’t see how we were going to afford to pay a 6 figure fee in the current climate- especially when I imagine in their current situation, Wigan would have surely been looking for the majority of it paid up front. 

Long is probably the safer bet but the Lang deal sounded a bit more exciting, I’d imagine as you say that’s dead now though.  

I see your point.

But you cannot blame Long for waiting to see if there was a better deal down south on more money. As you say Covid probably put paid to that.  I was hoping he would stay as he was showing more of what he is capable of since New Year. He appears to be a bit of a moany faced character. So I hope if he does re-sign then he is sort of happy to be here and not face tripping as it was a last resort. 

I had honestly written off Long staying.

I was never his biggest fan and can agree with a lot of the sentiments above. I've said this before but I don't know if a lot of that was down to the fact I didn't get the impression he really enjoyed or bought into being up here. Could easily be a false impression but was just what me and a lot boys i know felt over the course of last season.

With that being said, he is an excellent finisher and clearly has talent. There is no question he has the ability. If he does sign I would like to see us get him tied down to a 2 year deal.

Personal feeling a side, Hastie Watt Long up front looks class. I also thought Watt + Long had potential as a front two

32 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I reckon Long has the potential to randomly catch fire and hit 20+ in a season. I'm not saying it'll necessarily happen with us or even at all but I won't be surprised in a few years if he's scored 23 goals for Tranmere by Christmas and gets sold to a Championship team for £8m.

Totally agree with this. Feels like we just need to get the team and his head just right and he'll go absolutely daft for goals. Great strike on him and just enough pace to make him a worry.

And he's snide as f**k. I really like Long and it takes me one closer to my dream-team of 9 scousers alongside Gallagher and Turnbull.