Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

28 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Can understand why it might leave a bad taste in the mouth for some but I'd happily have him back. He's an absolutely smashing player IMO and exactly the sort of winger I love watching. 

The "not wanting to develop Rangers players" arguments never really held much water with me tbh, to the extent that we're actually directly competing with Rangers I don't see how having somebody like Hastie playing 38 games for us is benefiting Rangers to our detriment. 

I'm kind of in the same place tbh. I get the bad taste given all the animosity and I'd say from his POV coming back on loan, after a year is probably going to be a massive climb down.

Then again, taking away all the drama...we got £350k + a sell on, he got a massive wage bump and Rangers...have a player who as we all suggested is going to be absolutely nowhere near their first team - on a 4 year deal.

Both Motherwell and Hastie are the only real winners in that scenario.

I mean if we were going to look to bring a former player back from Ibrox I'd probably prefer Murphy as his #numbers for Burton were mental (7 in 10) but if we're in a position where the 'rona is dictating our budget and means a loan for Hastie is as good an option as we can get then I'd not be totally against it.

Edited by capt_oats

You could argue Hastie doing well for us would help us with regards to his sell on clause when Rangers punt him in the future. Although I’m doubting that we even got a sell on clause now? I’d take him on the basis that he’s better than Seedorf.

I’d happily take Cole back as well.

6 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

You could argue Hastie doing well for us would help us with regards to his sell on clause when Rangers punt him in the future. Although I’m doubting that we even got a sell on clause now? I’d take him on the basis that he’s better than Seedorf.

I’d happily take Cole back as well.

I'm fairly sure it was confirmed that we did. It was either Burrows who mentioned it (which is clearly credible) or I read it on Steelmen (which is less so).

Update: It was Burrows who confirmed.

"I'm happy to say publicly [the money] was absolutely in line with what the training compensation recommendations are from FIFA from Rangers and managed to also secure potential future economic rights to him in terms of a sell on."

Link (15min 13s)

Edited by capt_oats

On the subject on transfers, I wouldn't touch Hastie on loan. I genuinely think it would be more trouble than it was worth. The idea that fans will take to him quickly doesn't seem realistic to me.

I was a big fan of Devante Cole, frankly I think a lot of fans underestimated what he did in the first half of the season. I'd be really happy if we could get him

Still feel as if with Long away we need that player with goals in him. The lad Callum Lang is a massive prospect for Wigan but was hampered by injuries last season but if we added him to the squad he’d be a great addition, similar player Long. Would love to keep Long as he was getting more clinical as the season went on. As for Cole he was a good player for the squad but we’ve got Jordan White as well who essentially takes his role. A winger and striker are a must now. 

It seems that Wigan have went into administration. I wonder how this will affect any transfer fees for Kipre? Right now they get a 12 point deduction so they are now bottom of the championship, 4 points from safety with 6 games to go. They are one of the best performers over the last period (7 games without conceding i think) but how will this affect the team? How will this affect any transfer fees assuming we are still due some money) or sell on fees? 

I have no clue how any of this works but it is certainly an interesting topic.

43 minutes ago, nsr said:

Hadn't Hastie largely been found out by opponents the time he left us?

Hard to tell. 

Like a lot of younger players who have a big breakthrough and are hyped up beyond belief, once he became a known quantity and got a bit more attention(on and off the pitch) his form nosedived.

Usually in those situations, the player is given a spell out the team before being phased back in gradually and you get a better gauge of how good he actually is. Which we never got to see with Hastie, so there’s definitely a question mark about how good he really is. 

What I would say though is if you actually look back through his goals, very few of them are actually as a result of him cutting inside onto his left foot and shooting. Despite him often being painted as a ‘one trick pony’, I do think there’s a bit more to him than that. 

He might not be as good as he was initially hyped up to be but I still reckon there’s still plenty there to work with - pace, power, good movement and a sledgehammer of a left foot. If he’s up for it and Robinson wants him then I don’t really see the problem with it. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, nsr said:

Hadn't Hastie largely been found out by opponents the time he left us?

Depends really. @Casagolda's post above sums it up pretty well IMO.

If you listen to Robinson talking about him it seems clear his view was he could have got more out him but his head had been turned and the whole situation affected him and his game. Also, it was his first run in the first team you'd expect any winger we sign to have a dip in form at some point - even more so if the opposition is doubling up on him.

Looking at his record from that season it was really only after the split that he disappeared from the starting XI and his 2 sub appearances were away from home.

2056367005_ScreenShot2020-07-01at13_00_29.png.facac14e89fa7bbe8d3a3977651bf8fb.png

There's actually a bit of further reading about his time at Rotherham here.

In other news I see that's Wigan gone into administration I wonder if that will have any knock on with us in terms of Kipré and also we were being linked with their forward Callum Lang on a loan.

Ha! Completely missed @Phillips455 post above asking the same thing....sorry about that.

Edited by capt_oats

It seems that Wigan have went into administration. I wonder how this will affect any transfer fees for Kipre? Right now they get a 12 point deduction so they are now bottom of the championship, 4 points from safety with 6 games to go. They are one of the best performers over the last period (7 games without conceding i think) but how will this affect the team? How will this affect any transfer fees assuming we are still due some money) or sell on fees? 
I have no clue how any of this works but it is certainly an interesting topic.

We still have a contract with them, so if he is sold we get our cut. If he’s released... we get zero.

5 minutes ago, steelmen said:

We still have a contract with them, so if he is sold we get our cut. If he’s released... we get zero.

I was thinking about the fee we agreed. I believe it was supposed to be spread over a number of seasons, so there may be some money that is still due to be paid. With administration this may affect that fee. 

I was thinking about the fee we agreed. I believe it was supposed to be spread over a number of seasons, so there may be some money that is still due to be paid. With administration this may affect that fee. 

Never thought of that, just assumed it had been all paid by now.

They don’t like teams defaulting on football debt, but I’m guessing we would just take our place in the queue with the others and get pennies in the pound

Or we can just take him back and sell him again???

This could be a very big test of the hypocrisy abilities of the 'Well support - I'll be massively disappointed if there aren't a tidal wave of posts criticising Wigan for escaping their debt obligations by going into administration.