Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A few folk saying NI will value youth development quite highly for their new manager, which is why Baraclough has such a strong claim.

Tommy Wright has suffered throughout his entire time with us from the bizarre, completely baseless, theory that he refuses to play youngsters and instead fills his squad with ageing journeymen. It started with United fans after the Cup win, and ever since then its spread to the point of becoming gospel.

That perception of him could harm his chances.

In all fairness to TW I'd say something that might work against him is pretty much all the other candidates are either working in the IFA system at the moment or have worked with them in the recent past.

Baraclough's the current u21s, Magilton's their elite performance director, Robinson's worked with the u19s, u21s and was O'Neill's assistant at the Euros. From what I can tell Wright's last involvement was back in 2013 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22991952

If they're looking at "continuity" then the fact he's been away as long may harm his chances more than the idea that he didn't focus on youth.

Back when it was announced O'Neill was stepping down there were NI players who identified Robinson as their preferred choice:

On O'Neill's potential successor, Gareth McAuley told Sky Sports News:

"For me, the one is Steven Robinson at Motherwell.

"It would keep the continuity - he knows the players coming through having worked with them in the underage groups.

"He knows the players in the senior squad, he's worked with them under Michael (O'Neill) and he was at the Euros with us.

"The lads have great respect for him and I just think it would be foolish if they didn't at least approach him - even if they feel Michael should carry on (until March).

Link

Cathcart and McNair also echoed Gareth McAuley's call that Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson would be the obvious choice to succeed O'Neill.

"Robbo has been amongst us and was at the Euros with us as well," Cathcart said.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Robinson ‘reluctantly’ given permission to speak to the Northern Irish FA over the national job. Hope Tommy Wright and Ian Baraclough are excellent in interview situations. Tommy might be a bit rusty though, he’s not had one for a while.

Baraclough was supposed to be very convincing in his interview with us, to the extent of us giving him the job.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In all fairness to TW I'd say something that might work against him is pretty much all the other candidates are either working in the IFA system at the moment or have worked with them in the recent past.

Baraclough's the current u21s, Magilton's their elite performance director, Robinson's worked with the u19s, u21s and was O'Neill's assistant at the Euros. From what I can tell Wright's last involvement was back in 2013 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22991952

If they're looking at "continuity" then the fact he's been away as long may harm his chances more than the idea that he didn't focus on youth.

Its a fair point. They apparently made TW their "number one target" in 2017, but O'Neill ended up staying.

You're never really sure how much of that is just paper talk, but TW himself was commenting on it.

17 minutes ago, MJC said:

Why should McFadden be brought back? It didn't work out the last time he was here as a coach and there's no reason to think it would now. It would be a major backward step if McFadden is brought back to the club in any capacity and it's well past time that his army of fanboys realised that 2002 was a long, long time ago now and the wonderkid with the red stripe in his hair is very much yesterday's man as far as we are concerned.

As for Stephen Robinson and the NI job, if he goes then best wishes to him. No one can realistically expect him to turn down an offer like that. 

McFadden was a complete failure. And part of the reason McGhee got binned.  While McGhee fucked off 3 days of the week to Brighton Faddy ran the training but did f**k all and allowed everyone to jut piss about and do whatever they wanted.

If Robbo goes then I would be fine with Lasley because unlike Faddy he actually wants to be a coach, has worked hard doing his badges, actively worked as part of the lower age teams before stepping up to assistant.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

McFadden was a complete failure. And part of the reason McGhee got binned.  While McGhee fucked off 3 days of the week to Brighton Faddy ran the training but did f**k all and allowed everyone to jut piss about and do whatever they wanted.

If Robbo goes then I would be fine with Lasley because unlike Faddy he actually wants to be a coach, has worked hard doing his badges, actively worked as part of the lower age teams before stepping up to assistant.

That, and McFadden being an absolute half wit when asked to talk about, well, anything on the TV or radio. 

Loved him as a player, but no thanks. 

29 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

That doesn't surprise me that that went on given that McFadden can do no wrong in the eyes of many within the club. Saying that though, I always got the impression that he wasn't a good influence in the dressing room and wasn't well received by the players he was coaching. A lack of discipline can certainly contribute to this mind you. I've always been uncomfortable with the legendary status that is afforded to James McFadden at the club.

It's a stick on that Lasley will take over whenever Robinson moves on and to be honest that's not something that sits well with me. There's shades of Malpas being 'promised' the job after Terry Butcher left about this and that often doesn't work out. When the time comes the correct process should be followed, in that we advertise the job, conduct interviews and then select the best candidate. Simply handing the job to Keith Lasley isn't the right way to go about things.

There he is. 2 year deal not 3 as yer man Fry was saying.

The midfielder, who made 20 appearances during a loan spell last campaign, has signed a two-year contract with the club.

We have paid Peterborough United a nominal sum to secure his services. He will move subject to international clearance when the summer transfer window opens.

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It was true of Turnbull and it's true of O'Hara but I'm not sure how I feel about a centre mid having the 7 shirt. cc: @crazylegsjoe_mfc @Desp #numberpolis.

Leaves #9 and #11 for the forwards.

Devante Cole seems happy for O'Hara signing permanently. 

I am officially putting 2+2 =5 together and have now decided the player who Robbo was talking about who was on loan before that we are looking at bringing back is Devante. 

Still would love it to be Gboly but would be happy enough with 

#Cole11

1 hour ago, weemac said:

Devante Cole seems happy for O'Hara signing permanently. 

I am officially putting 2+2 =5 together and have now decided the player who Robbo was talking about who was on loan before that we are looking at bringing back is Devante. 

Still would love it to be Gboly but would be happy enough with 

#Cole11

Aye. I'd thought at the time he'd be the most likely 'former loanee' seeing as we wanted to extend his initial loan from Wigan and he was only on a short term deal with Doncaster.

Cole's brand is #44 innit.

As it stands we're probably two forwards away from being done...

614261464_ScreenShot2020-06-24at19_56_06.png.94286c4b5d3d87cd3a701a55e3a5afa2.png

Burrows with a wee update on Twitter.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

O Hara given the number 7. I know squad numbers are not an exact science but that would suggest he'll be starting more often than not.

I'd say nah, suggest nothing.

I suppose Casper Sloth got number 8 last season and we all know how that went!

I like O'Hara and I'm definitely pleased he has signed, but I reckon the signing has been made with a view to a midfielder not being here until the window is shut. I imagine things will be quiet for the next while as most clubs in pursuit of either Campbell or Turnbull will be English-based and currently completing their lopsided season.

Our midfield three is generally made up of an anchor, a box to box midfielder and a creative midfielder and Donnelly, Campbell, Polworth and Turnbull all seem to have a clear preferred role in that. One thing O'Hara has going for him is that he seems like he could move between those roles more easily, depending on who was available.

If we end up with an out-and-out winger and a "player who can play across the front three", I would say that we're only actually cover at right-back short of having a leaner, more quality side than last season now, despite the reduced budget.

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Did NI not get a fortune in compensation from Stoke for O’Neill going? Chuck us £2m and I’m sure we could all make our peace with Robinson leaving. 

Sadly I believe his current contract stipulates something along the lines of one years salary which is probably circa £120-150k or not even that. So that is all we could probably hope for if he does leave.