Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

St. Mirren have apparently agreed a fee with Peterborough for Mark O'Hara.

Saw that, tbh it sounds a lot like Barry Fry being Barry Fry.

"I spoke to Motherwell’s (head of recruitment) Martin Foyle yesterday (June 19) and he said he was determined to get Mark signed up so I told him to hurry up as I’d now agreed a fee with St Mirren for the player.

I have no idea why Mark hasn’t signed for Motherwell already. Martin told me the player’s agent had turned down a three year contract even though they’ve qualified for Europe, but then his agent has been difficult to deal with in the past."

Link

He's transfer-listed, they're keen to get him out the door. We had something in place in principle but circumstances mean he's no longer a priority.

I mean, there's not a lot there that's difficult to understand.

From the sound of Robinson's comments on the socials during the week it's forwards that are our focus just now.

59 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

How did he do with you last season?

That article suggests that Motherwell are still very much in the running as well.

There's an element of recency bias when it comes to O'Hara. 

He really began to hit a bit of form after the winter break. He was a big part of turning things round from 4-1 to 4-4 in the SC game against your lot but prior to that up until mid-December you'd have forgotten we'd even signed him. He didn't play his first 90 mins in the league until the 1-0 against Kilmarnock on 21st December.

957902922_ScreenShot2020-06-20at14_24_50.png.3e1d9f666ef473a7dd3de4a05e785926.png

He's someone that under normal circumstances I think most of us would have been happy to have sticking around.

We were speaking to Peterborough about take him back in April. Robinson confirmed that in an interview on BT (13:30 mins here), Fry had confirmed that we had a deal confirmed 'in principle' back then as well.

As it stands though we've got a midfield of Turnbull, Donnelly, Campbell and Polworth plus Barry Maguire's just signed an extension so it's one of the areas of the park we've got bodies as we've promoted Jamie Semple and Dean Cornelius to the first team now. Donnelly, Campbell and Maguire all fit in the role O'Hara was playing for us.

O'Hara was in the Motherwell Times last week saying that he'd been in touch with Robinson:

“I spoke to the manager (via text message) last week and Motherwell are still interested,” O’Hara told the Times and Speaker. “It is not doable at the moment but I hope there’s still a chance that it will happen.

“There is no timescale on when Motherwell might come back with an offer. It’s uncertain times so I’ve not got many options at the moment but Motherwell would be my number one option."

Link

Which sounds about right tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

I genuinely hope we to get O’Hara in on a longer contract. Everyone is correct in saying we are well stocked with good midfielders but the difference is I can imagine O’Hara staying long term. Turnbull is destined for greater things and I am confident that Polworth and Campbell won’t be sticking around too much longer either, and will move on in the next season or two. Even Donnelly seems to have drummed up a fair bit of interest, and might be on the move sooner rather than later.

I also understand that people want to see the academy kids like Maguire, Semple and Cornelius break into the first team on a regular basis but overall I don’t think they’d really be competing with O’Hara. Not one of the midfielders we have, whether it be current first team or hopeful reserves can match the physicality O’Hara has, and especially in games against the top 4/6 I’ve felt we’ve lacked a bit of strength and height in the middle. I understand he’s similar to both Campbell and Donnelly in terms of being a sort of classic box to box option, but with that added height and strength he offers something we don’t have.

Won’t be devastated if he doesn’t join, but at the same time, I think the calls of “we’ve got enough midfielders,” might be a little short sighted. That being said, if we happen to bring in a couple of quality options in the forward line on longer deals then that’s obviously to be welcomed and would be a much better short term investment. Overall though I really think picking O’Hara up relatively cheaply on a long term contract is a good, long term move.

Edited by CSmith

2 hours ago, CSmith said:

I genuinely hope we to get O’Hara in on a longer contract. Everyone is correct in saying we are well stocked with good midfielders but the difference is I can imagine O’Hara staying long term. Turnbull is destined for greater things and I am confident that Polworth and Campbell won’t be sticking around too much longer either, and will move on in the next season or two. Even Donnelly seems to have drummed up a fair bit of interest, and might be on the move sooner rather than later.

I also understand that people want to see the academy kids like Maguire, Semple and Cornelius break into the first team on a regular basis but overall I don’t think they’d really be competing with O’Hara. Not one of the midfielders we have, whether it be current first team or hopeful reserves can match the physicality O’Hara has, and especially in games against the top 4/6 I’ve felt we’ve lacked a bit of strength and height in the middle. I understand he’s similar to both Campbell and Donnelly in terms of being a sort of classic box to box option, but with that added height and strength he offers something we don’t have.

Won’t be devastated if he doesn’t join, but at the same time, I think the calls of “we’ve got enough midfielders,” might be a little short sighted. That being said, if we happen to bring in a couple of quality options in the forward line on longer deals then that’s obviously to be welcomed and would be a much better short term investment. Overall though I really think picking O’Hara up relatively cheaply on a long term contract is a good, long term move.

Ditto. 

I have said multiple times that O’Hara would be a very decent addition. 

Started to show what he is about last few games. We are well stocked in midfield but as post above covers every chance we will lose one or more midfielders to a transfer fee. 

Edited by welldaft

32 minutes ago, Stonegiant said:

Did Polworth ever play on the wing for ICT?  Might be a way to accommodate the 4 midfielders and offer some options on the wings.  

He did, aye. He actually talked about it when @RiG interviewed him for The Wyness Shuffle pod.

IIRC the gist was that it's not really his preference.

Agree that it'd be worth a go to see if it works - Polworth cutting into the #10 area from wide sounds like something that would be worth having a look at.

Another alternative would be going with a diamond and two up top.

Edited by capt_oats

I know we’ve been heavy on the wing play for the last 18 months but the thought of a midfield diamond of Donnelly - Campbell - Turnbull - Polworth is enough to get the juices flowing. 

6 hours ago, Stonegiant said:

Did Polworth ever play on the wing for ICT?  Might be a way to accommodate the 4 midfielders and offer some options on the wings.  

Keep Polworth - Donnelly - Campbell and push Turnbull forward into the attacking 3.

So a 4-3-3 or

A 4-3-2-1 Christmas Tree. https://www.thefalse9.com/2017/08/football-tactics-beginners-christmas-tree-formation.html

Not a good look. Sorry it had to end that way.

But then neither is millions of people losing their jobs and/or taking pay cuts due to Covid 19.

So in the grand scheme of things a footballer being kept in a job on lower terms like so many people is a non story.....

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Don't have an issue with us trying to renegotiate given pretty unforseen circumstances tbh. Don't have an issue with him telling us to f**k off either.

Look forward to the inevitable boo/clap debate at some point though.

100%

It's not a great look especially given our whole "do the right thing" policy but Robinson highlighted it in May when talking about contracts.

“Boys we have offered contracts to, we are still hoping to fulfil them,” he said. “It may be at a lower rate of pay.

“I haven’t got the budget yet but it’s going to be impacted, make no mistake."

Link

Totally no issue with Tait telling us to ram it. He's taken the mystery box option and ended up with a 2 year deal, first team football and presumably a salary comparable to what he was originally on with us.

Fair fucks to him.

Edited by capt_oats

Posted similar on S.O. that I love Richard Tait and I'm really sad to see him go, he's one of these guys that I sort of assumed would be around the club forever, but he said there that in his view he was fit and playing well.

The last 6 months he's Iooked so unfit that literally thousands of people were genuinely concerned and wondering if there was something wrong with him, so if that's  his honest benchmark for what looking fit and playing well is, then the current outcome is the best for all concerned.

Edited by Al B

5 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Link

Motherwell have their say. 

Think that's a solid statement from the club. Gave clarity while sounding professional and sincere.

Sorry this has happened as Tait was a good player for us and by all accounts a nice guy. Wouldn't want this to sour his time with us.