Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think what the club is doing is the best they can under the cirumstances.

This is the first time since season 2015/16 that I have had a season ticket. I have always had to miss the odd game with my own amateur football commitments and when they put the prices up for season tickets that summer, but not the gate prices, I decided not to renew. I told Burrows this over twitter and in fairness to him, he sent me a DM asking for my phone number and we discussed it on the phone. Not every chief exec in the league would do that. My point was that I had a season ticket for about twenty years on the trot and just renewed it, but the way it was then priced that year, had I missed two games I think it was, I would have been cheaper paying at the gate. My point to him was that I didn't see what incentives there was for someone like me to buy a season ticket. 

Now I've packed in amateur fitba in the last year, coupled with the fact the club really could use the dough, I bought it without hesitation this year and in fairness to my gripe back then, the club are now incentivising buying season tickets. In all honesty, I would have been happy with either a) the ability to see games behind closed doors live on some platform or b) be guaranteed to attend 19 home games in the flesh, but both is the club going over and above.

It is harsh on those who can't have season tickets for practical or financial reasons, but from an economic perspective, the club is in a position where they need to try and attract income from those willing and able to buy a season ticket as much as possible. I'm sure the club would've loved an "available for all" option but red tape prevents it. Hopefully by that point, the restrictions would at least allow non-season ticket holders to go to a season-ticket holder friend or family member's house to see them.

19 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It is harsh on those who can't have season tickets for practical or financial reasons, but from an economic perspective, the club is in a position where they need to try and attract income from those willing and able to buy a season ticket as much as possible. I'm sure the club would've loved an "available for all" option but red tape prevents it. Hopefully by that point, the restrictions would at least allow non-season ticket holders to go to a season-ticket holder friend or family member's house to see them.

I could be miles out but I've a feeling that the announcement yesterday was to pre-empt complaints from folk who have already bought season tickets. I see there have still been some moans here and there but the response on the whole seems to have been positive (particularly from fans of other clubs).

Reading some of the quotes from various club CEOs yesterday it sounds like they're still working out the detail on the practicalities for delivery and launch so I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if there was a roll out of a PATG version further down the line. MFC TV - as it stands - allows for both monthly and annual subscriptions so it's not like an alternative solution should be beyond them if that's the platform they plan to use.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't see why something can't be worked out for Away games as some type of add-on you buy into or on a per game basis. It would be an extra revenue stream rather than just having home season ticket holders + home virtual season ticket holders..

If the footage is going to be streamed somewhere they might as well work some type of split revenue for away fans to view the matches. We all know the footage is just going to get streamed 'illegally' anyway so they might as well sort something out so they are actually getting some money for it. I presume greater detail will be released soon but it is a very good step and the SPFL/Sky should get some praise for actually sorting something half decent out for once.

Not wanting to get into a political debate here regarding the C word but it will be interesting to see when we actually see some fans returning to games.

Aberdeen have stated partial crowds could return from November and Rangers hinted very small crowds could be even earlier than that. I know you need to take into account health, safety and a number of other factors but I feel like we could actually use the age old issue of half empty stadiums to our advantage. The majority of the league, ourselves included have a stadium that is far too large for our support. With that in mind I don't see why you couldn't get a few hundred people in the stadium with a huge amount of social distancing in place.  The South stand for example is giant and could be used quite easily. Appreciate this may not make financial sense in terms of policing and such but from a pratical standpoint this could be done. I think a phased approach is what is going to happen, I'd be surprised if all 4k of us all turned up at once. Obviously it would be a pretty shite experience but a half way house between what we all want and a completely empty stadium. Total can of worms but I hope this is something that is being looked at.

Edited by Luke92

2 hours ago, Luke92 said:

Not wanting to get into a political debate here regarding the C word but it will be interesting to see when we actually see some fans returning to games.

I have strong views on this.

November is 5 months away.  The lockdown is not even 3 months in and cases and deaths are falling all across Europe including the Scotland and UK if not as quickly.

Your point re empty seats at Fir Park is valid. Allowing all season tickets holders into Fir Park across all 4 stands could be done. the issue with this is not the stands but the toilets and pie stands etc. 

My views are maybe misplaced but if we continue to see downward trend for next few weeks and months I hope the Gov continue to relax lockdown measure in line with their timetable.  Such a timetable would allow for large crowd gatherings by start of season in August. Clearly I expect a further delay but I would not want restrictions to be ongoing until there are no longer any cases in Scotland. This whole thing is still a huge disruption to jobs and livelihoods as much as if not more so than health in the coming weeks. 

In short I would be v disappointed if we need to wait until November to get back to Fir Park if we are on top of Covid 19. 

Edited by welldaft

59 minutes ago, steelmen said:

If the clubs/sky can make a success of people watching every game from home, you can imagine they will find a way to keep this going even with fans back in the grounds.

Can’t be doing that. Even my faith would be tested come late January when we’re playing St Mirren for the 14th time that season in -20C knowing that I could be sat on my arse in the house watching. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

November is 5 months away.  The lockdown is not even 3 months in and cases and deaths are falling all across Europe including the Scotland and UK if not as quickly.

Your point re empty seats at Fir Park is valid. Allowing all season tickets holders into Fir Park across all 4 stands could be done. the issue with this is not the stands but the toilets and pie stands etc. 

My views are maybe misplaced but if we continue to see downward trend for next few weeks and months I hope the Gov continue to relax lockdown measure in line with their timetable.  Such a timetable would allow for large crowd gatherings by start of season in August. Clearly I expect a further delay but I would not want restrictions to be ongoing until there are no longer any cases in Scotland. This whole thing is still a huge disruption to jobs and livelihoods as much as if not more so than health in the coming weeks. 

In short I would be v disappointed if we need to wait until November to get back to Fir Park if we are on top of Covid 19. 

Simple, buy a coke and a pie supplied in a plastic bag on the way in then you have a carton for a No1 and bag for a no 2 but you would obviously need to bring your own toilet roll for that.

Just leave it under the seat on the way out.

Edited by santheman

23 hours ago, Swello said:

Exactly what I expected.

Will be slightly rough on diehards that can't afford a season ticket/don't want a season ticket due to the current situation but I'm not sure the club will have a choice as I understand that Sky have put restrictions on it...

About as calm and reasoned a take on this as I've seen on the entire internet, thank you.

22 hours ago, ropy said:

Does it look like no access to away games?

I'd be really, really surprised if there isn't a 'PATG' option for away fans in the pipeline.

10 hours ago, scmwell said:

Just a thought would a “goals show” not work just as well cutting to incidents during all the games like bt do on europa and champions league nights ?

While I like this idea loads, the Bundesliga one with folk who are actually knowledgeable about all the teams and interesting people to boot is a bit of a slog, some of the Scottish pundits sitting filling airtime for 2 hours? I'll take a pint of bleach, no mixer, barkeep. 

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

If the clubs/sky can make a success of people watching every game from home, you can imagine they will find a way to keep this going even with fans back in the grounds.

I imagine that a) Sky wouldn't be massively delighted at this, nor the clubs if it has a hint of damage to attendances you'd imagine it'll be dropped, but also b) I think the agreement to withdraw the TV blackout period is only suspended, rather than removed. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I'm kind of with you on this. From what I gather, the science says: Sitting in a football ground, everyone facing the same way, with good entry and exit points, watching football in the fresh air: Not particularly high-risk. The issues arise at, as mentioned; Pie Stalls, toilets, turnstiles. Whether pubs start to open (you'd presume not, but a consideration certainly), travel to and from the game, hosueholds mixing (I know certainly, I'd be there with my old man and his pal, so you're looking at 3 houses there, are folk going to be smart and honest about it and space out?), all of these things as one, and it's a lot of ducks to get in a row.

In addition, I think one of the big fears is players above anything, in that as a squad, they'll be living in each other's pockets in a smal space, and if one goes down, probably all go down.

(Also sorry for the massive multi-quote post.)

15 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

While I like this idea loads, the Bundesliga one with folk who are actually knowledgeable about all the teams and interesting people to boot is a bit of a slog, some of the Scottish pundits sitting filling airtime for 2 hours? I'll take a pint of bleach, no mixer, barkeep. 

I watched the Bundesliga one for about half an hour a few weeks ago, expecting it to be like the Champions League/Europa League, with pundits, chat, people getting excited over chances etc but all but there was no pundits, no studio and not even anyone introducing the footage. I think I'd take Scottish  football pundits instead of that *

* providing Tom English wasn't involved

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

What'd you do? :lol: 

They just don't like you restarting once you get a permaban. so they tracked me down through my phone number I think and banned my account again.

6 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I caught a little bit of a programme on Alba earlier tonight about the club. Looked quite interesting so will try to get it on catch up- for some reason my wife didn't consider it Saturday night viewing.

Technically it was reading