Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Quite a few surprising one's in that list.

I'd take Ferguson, Gillespie, Hartley, Tait and O'Hara at Dens. Imagine Gillespie has an English gig lined up or Robinson told him that Carson will be back as number 1? Was Ferguson not very highly rated? Thought he was meant to be the next big thing at Airdrie.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd take Ferguson, Gillespie, Hartley, Tait and O'Hara at Dens. Imagine Gillespie has an English gig lined up or Robinson told him that Carson will be back as number 1? Was Ferguson not very highly rated? Thought he was meant to be the next big thing at Airdrie.

Rumour has it he’s going to Newcastle 

30 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tbh, I don't think there's any on the list that are much of a surprise to us.

As popular as they are it's probably the right time for Hartley and Tait.

There were questions about Hartley last summer as he hadn't kicked a ball the full 2nd half of the season - he was a permanent fixture on the bench and Tait's first team minutes had went off a cliff this season behind Grimshaw and Carroll in the full back positions.

It's unfortunate as both seem like the sort of "characters" with the right sort of mentality for a Robinson side but lack the pace. The 4-4 Scottish Cup game against St Mirren where he was subbed off at H/T probably raised a question mark against Hartley again.

I'd happily have seen the club keep Tait around as an option though.

The rumour was Gillespie had a return to Newcastle lined up before the shutdown. Link

There's no real surprise that he's away given Carson signed a new deal in January. Nice as it would have been we were unlikely to keep two of them at the club.

We've supposedly got a deal for O'Hara agreed in principle - Barry Fry confirmed it as has Robinson (I think). Whether the current situation changes that IDK. There was mention in the local press down there that there was a nominal fee involved and that Peterborough would recoup what they paid, did Dundee get much for him?

Ferguson's a weird one we signed him then loaned him back to Airdrie (ironically in a season when due to injuries we has to draft in a spare 'keeper to fill the spot on the bench), he was on the bench for half the 18/19 season and made one 22 min appearance after Gillespie picked up an injury.

He's been on loan at Linfield this season so I don't think many will have seen him recently to say what sort of level he's at just now but he seems to have been a regular starter for them - they're sitting at the top of the league at the moment. His problem I suppose is that he had Carson ahead of him, then Gillespie - even if he signed up for another year he'd be going from a season as a regular first team player to being parked on the bench again behind Carson.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I don't think there's any on the list that are much of a surprise to us.

As popular as they are it's probably the right time for Hartley and Tait. There were questions about Hartley last summer as he hadn't kicked a ball the full 2nd half of the season - he was a permanent fixture on the bench and Tait's first team minutes had went off a cliff this season behind Grimshaw and Carroll in the full back positions.

It's unfortunate as both seem like the sort of "characters" with the right sort of mentality for a Robinson side but lack the pace. The 4-4 Scottish Cup game against St Mirren where he was subbed off at H/T probably raised a question mark against Hartley again.

The rumour was Gillespie had a return to Newcastle lined up before the shutdown. Link

There's no real surprise that he's away given Carson signed a new deal in January. Nice as it would have been we were unlikely to keep two of them at the club.

We've supposedly got a deal for O'Hara agreed in principle - Barry Fry confirmed it as has Robinson (I think). Whether the current situation changes that IDK. There was mention in the local press down there that there was a nominal fee involved and that Peterborough would recoup what they paid, did Dundee get much for him?

Ferguson's a weird one we signed him then loaned him back to Airdrie (ironically in a season when due to injuries we has to draft in a spare 'keeper to fill the spot on the bench), he was on the bench for half the 18/19 season and made one 22 min appearance after Gillespie picked up an injury.

He's been on loan at Linfield this season so I don't think many will have seen him recently to say what sort of level he's at just now but he seems to have been a regular starter for them - they're sitting at the top of the league at the moment. His problem I suppose is that he had Carson ahead of him, then Gillespie - even if he signed up for another year he'd be going from a season as a regular first team player to being parked on the bench again behind Carson.

Always thought Carson was the superior keeper in the admittedly little I've seen of them both. Both obviously cracking keepers, but Gillespie was established after Carson's time out so thought it'd be Carson that'd be away. Some jump to Newcastle where he'll be unlikely to ever start ahead of Dubravka - And that's before they start spending Saudi money.

I'm desperate for anyone ahead of Jack Hamilton so would hope if Ferguson is half decent, we'll be sniffing!

Knew that O'Hara would come good. Bit of a bambi on ice at times but can throw defenders about with his physicality. The rumour was we got around 100k for him but that seems unlikely as Kilmarnock were due money if he left us for a fee so I think it was just a minimal development fee. Nothing you shouldn't be able to afford even with the current climate.

Do you think any of your released list would've been kept on if it weren't for the circumstances we find ourselves in?

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Amazed at the revelation that a mid table Championship side would "take" four first team players from the third best team in the country.

Then why release them? Which was more what I was getting at in the first place and since been answered, but snidey comments always welcome I suppose. 👍

Edited by Ludo*1

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Then why release them? Which was more what I was getting at in the first place and since been answered, but snidey comments always welcome I suppose. 

:lol: Sorry for being a dick but it just reminded me of the sort of people in Well Fans II who are most likely posting that Wes Foderingham and Jozo Simunonovic could do a job right now.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'm probably miles out here but though he's not played that much for us Maguire's been involved fairly regularly with the Scotland u21s recently. I take it we'd have to offer him something to protect any development comp we might be due - not to say we'd expect clubs to be knocking our door down but it'd be daft to enable a u21 international to just walk without us being part of a conversation I suppose.

There won't be any offers from him from clubs knowing they then owe us money, A bit like the falkirk boy who had that situation and had to stay stuck at falkirk.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Do you think any of your released list would've been kept on if it weren't for the circumstances we find ourselves in?

Difficult to say really. Robinson did an interview the other week that suggests yes but tbqh the idea of us giving Christy Manzinga and Christian Ilic another year is absolutely fucking terrifying.

“There were one or two we probably, if finances dictated, would have given another year to see them progress. There’s a couple of boys we brought into Scottish and UK football for the first time that we felt another season would develop them.

“But we are not in a position to take gambles. We take a couple of gambles each year, for example Christy Manzinga we took a gamble on and, given another year, he might have really progressed but we just don’t have that option."

Maybe he was just being polite.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

There won't be any offers from him from clubs knowing they then owe us money, A bit like the falkirk boy who had that situation and had to stay stuck at falkirk.

I was thinking about it more being a DT23 scenario (although he was under contract) where we could possibly look at a sell on in lieu of a dev fee.

Fwiw: I'm happy enough for him to stick around but if all it takes to "protect our interests" is to shove a piece of paper in his direction - whether he signs it or not - then it probably makes sense from our point of view.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw: I'm happy enough for him to stick around but if all it takes to "protect our interests" is to shove a piece of paper in his direction - whether he signs it or not - then it probably makes sense from our point of view.

All you have to do, seemingly, is offer them a contract that's no worse than what they're already on, by a certain date.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

All you have to do, seemingly, is offer them a contract that's no worse than what they're already on, by a certain date.

Aye. AFAIK you have to make the offer by a certain point prior to expiry of the current deal but other than that as long as the new offer is equal to/more than the current one the training club has a say.

Anyway, looking at the squad as is with those contracted and who have been offered deals:

GK: Carson, Morrison
DF: Carroll,  Grimshaw, Mugabi, Gallagher, Devine, Dunne, Hussain
MF: Campbell, Turnbull, Polworth, Donnelly, Semple, Cornelius, Maguire
FW: Watt, Seedorf, Hylton, MacIver, Long, Robinson

Total: 22

Edited by capt_oats

Annoyingly the Watt/Gallagher vs the **** spat has overshadowed the real Motherwell story of the day.

I've just watched that episode along with my astonished family. Apart from the whole ridiculous story involved, I can't believe I don't remember seeing Aaron (who looks quite a big guy) at any of these games. He very possibly goes to a different stand but I was definitely at the away games at St. Mirren and St. Johnstone (Jake Hastie game?) that were mentioned.

Pretty classy exits from Hartley and Tait, which is good to see. I would think that being at 'Well has been a decent career move for both and I hope they get a decent gig for next season...

Allan Campbell has been nominated for Football Writers Young Player of the Year along with Ali McCann, Lewis Ferguson and Aaron Hickey. 

Well deserved recognition for him and I think he’s in with a good shout if winning it being the heartbeat of the team that finished 3rd