Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've probably nailed my colours to the mast pretty strongly as someone who's not a big fan of Liam Grimshaw as a footballer- as a person he seems great craic obvs.  I absolutely love Richard Tait and he's been outstanding for the most part but I'm hopeful him leaving means we're bringing in someone to compete with Grimshaw rather than deputise. 

I'm sure Tait will easily get a bottom six side or a decent English move if he wants it.

I'm terrible at timestamping but this assist about 1.35 ish is probably still my enduring memory of Tait.

I love Richard Tait as a player, He was suspect when someone was running at him though but a great player for "a club like ours",  a great assist you've highlighted there only issue for me was he did that very well for about a year and then it just stopped.

16 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

It seems like Chris Long's face has been tripping him pretty much since he signed. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he ends up leaving.

Chris Long thinks he's a great player. That's his problem, he's an average player.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'd go -

1. Gboly Ariyibi
2. James Scott
3. Jermaine Hylton
4. Chris Cadden
5. Jake Hastie
6. Rolando Aarons
7. Elliot Frear
8. Sherwin Seedorf
9. Christian Ilic

Frear and Seedorf played enough times for me to decide they're both pish. 2 of the most lightweight players I've ever seen.

I have no doubt Aarons would have been higher if he'd got a good run in the team. Ilic is last because, well, he's not a winger.

Was Scott really an out and out winger or just shoehorned into it because he was not ready to play central.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

This is not going to be a popular opinion but Jake Hastie had more end product than any of the others (possible exception of Scott although he was sometimes more central). The speedy entertaining wingers were great to watch but generally let down by their final ball.

I would agree he did early on but got found out last two or three games when they stopped him cutting inside.

THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS WILL LEAVE AFTER EITHER TURNING DOWN AN OFFER OF A NEW DEAL OR THEIR CONTRACT EXPIRING

Rohan Ferguson

Mark Gillespie

Peter Hartley

Christian Ilic

Christy Manzinga

Richard Tait

Adam Livingstone

THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS’ LOAN PERIODS ARE COMING TO AN END

Mark O’Hara

Mikael Ndjoli

Rolando Aarons

THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS HAVE BEEN OFFERED EXTENDED DEALS

Charles Dunne

Christopher Long

Barry Maguire

Peter Morrison

Harry Robinson

Yusuf Hussain

Link

Some clarity on the Dunne one - it sounds a similar arrangement to Tanner.

We have been discussing with Charles Dunne the possibility of a short-term deal, allowing him to get back to full fitness at the club before he is assessed over a potential longer contract.

Edited by capt_oats

Nothing unexpected there really - maybe Maguire getting a new deal? But perhaps the current situation has worked in his favour there. 

Pleased to see that we’ve offered Dunne an extended deal to get him back fit. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into another Craig Tanner situation!

Guest superward
1 minute ago, Well Well said:

Captain this year?

Was wondering myself. 

Gallagher probably? I think he took the armband this year at times. If not him has to be Alan Campbell for me.

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

Captain this year?

Maybe Carson or Gallagher? 

Wouldn’t be surprised if we offered it to Alan Campbell as a wee additional sweetener as part of a new contract offer.

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm assuming that Gillespie will be the only of the players leaving that turned down a new contract and all the others aren't being offered a new deal.

I thought Long only had a one year contract but I see he's been offered an extension.

Long does only have a one year contract. It expires in June: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/player/christopher-long/

The English forward has signed an initial one-year deal and will officially join on the expiry of his contract with Blackpool this month.

Link

42 minutes ago, dezz said:

Nothing unexpected there really - maybe Maguire getting a new deal? But perhaps the current situation has worked in his favour there. 

Pleased to see that we’ve offered Dunne an extended deal to get him back fit. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into another Craig Tanner situation!

Yeah Maguire was one I thought would definitely be away. He’s just turned 22, currently about 5th choice in terms of midfielders and Robinson doesn’t seem to fancy him at centre back. 

PJ Morrison is one I actually forgot was still at the club. Imagine he will be acting as cheap backup to Carson for next season. 

Other than that, no real surprises. Plus one on Dunne as well, I’ve always liked him and I’m hoping he can get himself back fit. Sure he’s not much of a footballer, but there’s not many centre backs at our level with his mix of physical attributes. 

Also I’d be shocked if Gallagher isn’t named the new club captain shortly.  

13 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Yeah Maguire was one I thought would definitely be away. He’s just turned 22, currently about 5th choice in terms of midfielders and Robinson doesn’t seem to fancy him at centre back. 

I'm probably miles out here but though he's not played that much for us Maguire's been involved fairly regularly with the Scotland u21s recently. I take it we'd have to offer him something to protect any development comp we might be due - not to say we'd expect clubs to be knocking our door down but it'd be daft to enable a u21 international to just walk without us being part of a conversation I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers. So it seems he still has another month of contract to go and those announced as leaving will have contracts which expired today.

Nope. Gillespie, Tait, Hartley, Dunne, Livingstone and Maguire all have contracts that expire in June. The only ones whose deals were up in May are Ferguson, Manzinga and Illic.

Edited by capt_oats