Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Just realised we'll be the last top flight team to play at Tynecastle for ____ years.

I think that was the last time I was out the house. The fact I didn't catch the 'rona in the Caley Sample Rooms was a miracle

https://plzsoccer.com/latest-news/stephen-robinson-sets-about-reshaping-motherwell-squad-after-third-place-finish/

A few quotes from Robinson here which shed a bit more light on things, albeit nothing particularly unexpected. Confirms the bold Christy Manzinga is away, and from the quotes I’m guessing probably Ilic as well as Maguire, Ferguson and Livingstone.

Interesting that the article states we will be running with a squad of 15/16 first team players with 8/9 boys who are 18/19 backing them up. I'm hoping that MacIver is included in the 8/9 backing up which would separate @capt_oats list into 11 first team players and 4 of the backups.

By those numbers quoted, we should expect another four or five first team players. I'd have liked to sign O'Hara in an ideal world but I'd rather use our limited budget on a centre half and some wingers/forwards. 

Normally, if Robinson has made an error with a player, he's pretty good at rectifying it and getting them out the door, even if they're under contract. I might have expected that this summer with Mugabi and Seedorf, had things been normal, but we probably have to resign ourselves to the fact they'll be part of the squad next season.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Interesting that the article states we will be running with a squad of 15/16 first team players with 8/9 boys who are 18/19 backing them up. I'm hoping that MacIver is included in the 8/9 backing up which would separate @capt_oats list into 11 first team players and 4 of the backups.

By those numbers quoted, we should expect another four or five first team players. I'd have liked to sign O'Hara in an ideal world but I'd rather use our limited budget on a centre half and some wingers/forwards. 

Normally, if Robinson has made an error with a player, he's pretty good at rectifying it and getting them out the door, even if they're under contract. I might have expected that this summer with Mugabi and Seedorf, had things been normal, but we probably have to resign ourselves to the fact they'll be part of the squad next season.

That's McGarry filed a piece for The Herald that covers the same stuff.

Curious to know who the "six younger players who are at the lower end of our budget" we've offered deals to are. Semple, Cornelius, Devine and MacIver are all contracted.

Fwiw, it's probably a good thing we're reining in on the "gambles" tbh. Kipré and Ally Gorrin are obvious examples where it's worked out for us but Plummer, Petravicius, Mbulu, Ilic and Manzinga are all folk we've had in on trial and taken a punt on but ended up nowhere near the first team.

I know we're not out there paying "life-changing" money but focusing on what we've got in the building for a bit probably isn't the worst idea generally speaking.

Edited by capt_oats

14 hours ago, Swello said:

I think that was the last time I was out the house. The fact I didn't catch the 'rona in the Caley Sample Rooms was a miracle

The absolute carry on we had that day, and the lack of Rona remains astonishing.

Declan was on What the Falk btw, which is a very decent listen;

The absolute carry on we had that day, and the lack of Rona remains astonishing.

Enjoyed listening to that. Is there any connection between the guy from Sunderland and Las/Dec/Motherwell? Is it through Simon Ramsden?

I’m similarly delighted with the lack of Rona in the Sample Rooms that day seeing as I crashed your night out later on in the Picture House!

Noticed there are a couple of quotes from Robinson in McGarry's article that weren't in the PLZ one.

“It’s not a nice part of the job, but, unfortunately, a reality.

“At the moment, it’s still being digested by some of them and there’s a couple I haven’t been able to get a hold of yet, so it’s only fair that [their identity] stays with me at the moment.

“As the weeks develop, you’ll see the squad list. A lot of boys who were out of contract weren’t getting renewed or we couldn’t agree.

“We have made offers to players currently at the club, including six of the younger players who are at the lower end of our budget,” he said. “These are people we think will develop in the next year and are the basis of our football club.

“There are boys who have been first team players for me in the last six months and we are just trying to get a figure to put on the contract. We want them to stay but we are not able to put figures in front of them until we know the budget situation.

“We are hoping to have a little bit more clarity on that in a week to 10 days.

“We are in a decent position. Can we strengthen our squad? Can we re-sign players who have done very well? There is a limit we can go to and we have Plan A, B, C, D and E for it."

3 hours ago, dezz said:

Enjoyed listening to that. Is there any connection between the guy from Sunderland and Las/Dec/Motherwell? Is it through Simon Ramsden?

I’m similarly delighted with the lack of Rona in the Sample Rooms that day seeing as I crashed your night out later on in the Picture House!

Hello! It's myself who does the pod. Thanks for listening. Caught some flak on another thread for posting it, so pleased it was picked up by people who would listen to.

The connection is a funny one. Yes, I know Rambo very well, but I also lived in Glasgow for a decade and just came back to complete my uni degree. So love Scottish football and got to know Keith really well. I've done a podcast with Tony Watt as well, that'll be out next month. He's tremendous value.

Hopefully someone from Motherwell is listening and gives me a job! haha.

4 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Paul Hartley is a ba*ta*d

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

9 years today since Stevie Hammell made his one and only appearance at centre mid.

I'm pretty sure the initial plan was to have Mo Ross at right back and Hateley in that midfield role. f**k knows what made McCall change his mind. 

In saying that, who knows how things would have ended up had Gunning's shot went in. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

In saying that, who knows how things would have ended up had Gunning's shot went in. 

We would likely have all missed out on the hilarity of his huff, picking up the ball and walking off the pitch at Tannadice a few years later