Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

When's that scheduled for? End of July?

Ignoring Kilmarnock's disaster last season, it might actually to draw a Welsh team. Might be about the only place we're allowed to travel to (or NI or ROI).

Next seasons Champions league/Europa League is due to start in October this year. The 19/20 Champions Leagur/Europa League fixtures are due to be played in August.

I am still not sure how they will changing things. Possibly they could expand the group stages to have a few extra groups, then have 1 extra knockout round. I do not think they can take away any european places from clubs unless they arent eligible play in europe. Even in that case it would just go to the next best club in that league. We will just have to wait and see with UEFA and how they will plan for next seasons European football leagues.

Edited by Phillips455

Who do we reckon is getting kept on for next season then?  

By my reckoning- 

Mark Gillespie 
Rohan Ferguson 
Richard Tait
Charles Dunne
Peter Hartley
Adam Livingstone
Barry Maguire 
Chris Long
Tony Watt
Christy Manzinga
Christian Ilic 

Are all out of contract and the following loans will expire- 

Mark O’Hara
Mikael Ndjoli(mind we signed him?)
Rolando Aarons

Gillespie and Long have been the standouts this season of those out of contract. Gillespie is obviously on his way out though and I heard Long was keen to head back down South as well. I’d be stunned if any of Ilic, Manzinga or Livingstone are offered anything. After that, I’d say it gets slightly trickier though.

With Lamie meant to be coming in, it surely spells the end for at least one of Tait, Dunne or Hartley. I like Watt and he’s certainly looked decent in his limited game time so far but is he worth pushing the boat out to keep? And with a plethora of midfield options already under contract, plus the supposed permanent signing of O’Hara on the horizon, is it really worth giving Maguire another contract? 

10 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Who do we reckon is getting kept on for next season then?  

By my reckoning- 

Mark Gillespie 
Rohan Ferguson 
Richard Tait
Charles Dunne
Peter Hartley
Adam Livingstone
Barry Maguire 
Chris Long
Tony Watt
Christy Manzinga
Christian Ilic 

Are all out of contract and the following loans will expire- 

Mark O’Hara
Mikael Ndjoli(mind we signed him?)
Rolando Aarons

Gillespie and Long have been the standouts this season of those out of contract. Gillespie is obviously on his way out though and I heard Long was keen to head back down South as well. I’d be stunned if any of Ilic, Manzinga or Livingstone are offered anything. After that, I’d say it gets slightly trickier though.

With Lamie meant to be coming in, it surely spells the end for at least one of Tait, Dunne or Hartley. I like Watt and he’s certainly looked decent in his limited game time so far but is he worth pushing the boat out to keep? And with a plethora of midfield options already under contract, plus the supposed permanent signing of O’Hara on the horizon, is it really worth giving Maguire another contract? 

To spin your list round here's who we've got under contract:

GK - Carson
DF - Carroll, Grimshaw, Mugabi, Gallagher, Devine
MF - Campbell, Turnbull, Polworth, Donnelly, Semple, Cornelius
FW - Seedorf, Hylton, MacIver

Total - 15 (inc 4 current reserves)

Based on Robinson's previous seasons we've largely been looking at running with a first team squad of around 22-25 bodies.

As it stands, under normal circumstances we're short of a back-up GK, back-up LB/RB, 2 x CB (1 left sided starter), 2 x wide forwards (starters) and 3 centre forwards. (IMO) - so that's roughly 10 in (or extended).

We've been linked with Jordan White on a pre-contract and going by the MFC Podcast Watt did along with others he's done on the Scottish Fitba' Podding circuit he (genuinely) seems up for sticking around - it's been kind of reflected in his socials as well. Not to read to much into that but if he's willing to extend and do us a turn then absolutely sign him up.

If the story about us having the O'Hara deal agreed in principle plays out then that's 7 centre mids for 3 spots (including Semple & Cornelius). Unless we're planning on moving anyone on we seem well covered (and the market in England is likely to be a complete shitshow anyway).

Given the 'circumstances' at the moment I guess we're into the unknown in terms of recruitment eg: will it be more difficult to convince players to move up the road? Are we going to be focusing more on 'local' players? Watt, O'Hara, Lamie and White are all from the area (relatively speaking) and ultimately how much will the unpleasantness f**k with our budget?

Going back to the start of the 'lockdown' Robinson did that interview with Craigan on BT and suggested we'd been looking at trying to bring in a couple of players we had on loan last year. It'd be interesting to know if there's been any change on that - I noticed Devante Cole congratulating us on the 3rd place (his deal with Doncaster is up at the end of the season AFAIK).

Edited by capt_oats

I've said similar on Twitter but it genuinely must be difficult being that angry all the time.

I’ve always thought the same. It must be exhausting and bad for your health.

How can you get so worked up about a team with a tiny fraction of your budget celebrating something that has absolutely no impact on your or your club whatsoever? Peculiar behaviour.

I think Gillespie will move down south somewhere and I reckon it's worth giving Ferguson a new deal.

For me, Dunne's injury record counts against a new deal for him, which is a shame because I've been a fan of his when he's played. It seems that his groin/pelvic issues pre-date his time with us and his first season where he stayed fit is the exception, rather than the rule. As for Hartley, he's been a "decent" player for us, but one who comes with his deficiencies and I don't think he's done well enough to be kept on. The sad thing is, I'd take either in a heartbeat over Mugabi, but he's signed on for next season. Tait is worth a new deal for me, as even if he isn't a nailed on starter anymore, he does give cover for both left and right back.

In midfield, signing O'Hara seems a good shout based on his performances, but it does leave us rather centre midfield heavy. I can't see Turnbull going in the summer and I can't see anyone else in there moving on either, unless we try to turn Donnelly back into a defender again. In light of that, I'd probably say at 22, Barry Maguire's time is up too. You can only be a promising youngster for so long.

Wide/Forwards is obviously a big area with only Hylton, Seedorf and MacIver signed on. Seedorf was becoming more and more peripheral and I'm still not sure on MacIver, I did think Hylton was coming good though.

With those out of contract, I'd try to keep Watt and Long (although I suspect he'll go South) and release Ilic and Manzinga. If getting Aarons on loan again was an option I'd be up for that too, but who knows what our budget will be like.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

15 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think Gillespie will move down south somewhere and I reckon it's worth giving Ferguson a new deal.

For me, Dunne's injury record counts against a new deal for him, which is a shame because I've been a fan of his when he's played. It seems that his groin/pelvic issues pre-date his time with us and his first season where he stayed fit is the exception, rather than the rule. As for Hartley, he's been a "decent" player for us, but one who comes with his deficiencies and I don't think he's done well enough to be kept on. The sad thing is, I'd take either in a heartbeat over Mugabi, but he's signed on for next season. Tait is worth a new deal for me, as even if he isn't a nailed on starter anymore, he does give cover for both left and right back.

In midfield, signing O'Hara seems a good shout based on his performances, but it does leave us rather centre midfield heavy. I can't see Turnbull going in the summer and I can't see anyone else in there moving on either, unless we try to turn Donnelly back into a defender again. In light of that, I'd probably say at 22, Barry Maguire's time is up too. You can only be a promising youngster for so long.

Wide/Forwards is obviously a big area with only Hylton, Seedorf and MacIver signed on. Seedorf was becoming more and more peripheral and I'm still not sure on MacIver, I did think Hylton was coming good though.

With those out of contract, I'd try to keep Watt and Long (although I suspect he'll go South) and release Ilic and Manzinga. If getting Aarons on loan again was an option I'd be up for that too, but who knows what our budget will be like.

I would agree with all of that, we could struggle up front again. Talk of Jordan White coming in who has had a few clubs but is hardly a goal machine, keeping hold of Long could be crucial but I’m not optimistic. Agree it’s time that Maguire to move on, we can’t wait forever for him to develop and probable sadly also Dunn, he’s just too injury prone. Out wide it’s never dull at Motherwell with changes on a season by season basis so who knows, Seedorf is never going to make it in my view, he’s just all over the place, Hylton has his moments if he’s up against a full back he thinks he can beat, confidence an issue.

Attacking wise, I'd be delighted with Watt staying, chuck in White as a goal pylon and if Long fancied kicking around that'd be perfect, really.

Seedorf is not for me, Hylton will be great, next season imo. Ilic... who knows.

Midfield we're probably even over-served in, so no concerns

Defence... Carroll, Gallagher, Grimshaw and AN Other is probably fine. I think Mugabi might actually be okay. He showed bits and pieces of being capable in among other shit shows, but was in and out, so maybe a bit of consistency alongside Gallagher might help him. Lamie seems likely and is...fine, I guess? Seems a useful body around, which probably means Tait will be on his way.