Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

46 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The realisation that our Social Media Team ™ have been stockpiling photos of players posing in party hats and comically oversized glasses to post on their birthdays is a slightly unwanted peek behind the curtain.

Haha, you'll be gutted to hear every single player has a brand profile then. Allan Cambell has always got to be seen in the gym and isn't allowed to smile (true story).

Well done to all at the club, a fantastic achievement on a playing budget a fraction of that enjoyed by Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen. Robinson manager of the season in the top flight for me.

I've seen us finish 2nd and 3rd more times than there is right to expect - this is the weirdest by far.

I don't think anyone with a long term view of the club would argue that this season's team is up there with McLean (McCleish), McGhee or McCall's best teams that managed this previously - but in terms of getting value for money from a small budget and trying to be decently entertaining - a European finish is a fantastic result.

By the end of a normal season, Aberdeen might well have overhauled us (although they were not consistent enough for that to be any more than a 50/50 chance IMO) - but I think the worst case scenario of 4th (I don't think we would have credibly finished lower) would still have represented a way better season than anyone predicted last summer.

It's pish that we can't celebrate this in the normal way - and I'm missing going to the football massively - but 19/20 can be filed under "very successful".

Spoiler

uefa_europa_league_00.jpg

YAAAS!

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Great news but unfortunately I can't see us playing in Europe. I'll be very surprised if UEFA can fit in all the games and I think they'll skip the qualifiers and go straight to the group stages with the seeded clubs.

Marvellous achievement to finish third with our budget though.

Assuming this was the case: I think we'd be in. Scotland currently sitting at 14th in the club co-efficient, so if it went straight to group stage then surely we'd be in?!

25 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Assuming this was the case: I think we'd be in. Scotland currently sitting at 14th in the club co-efficient, so if it went straight to group stage then surely we'd be in?!

k-pop yes GIF

33 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

MeatyRadiantAnnelid-small.gif

Spoiler

This page says Scotland is 20th https://kassiesa.net/uefa/qual2020.html - bah!

Edited by Swello

31 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'll take your word for it. I just assumed we'd miss out as we would have to be down the pecking order as we normally need to play a number of qualifying rounds.

As your lawyer I'd advise against you taking my word.

Nonetheless, until someone says otherwise, lets just assume that's how it'll go.

Scottish Professional Football League GIF by SPFL

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Sorry to be that guy but it's from 2021/22 we get straight in. We should be in Qualifying rd 2 this coming season. 

4 hours ago, DeadStar said:

Sorry to be that guy but it's from 2021/22 we get straight in. We should be in Qualifying rd 2 this coming season. 

4 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Nonetheless, until someone says otherwise, lets just assume that's how it'll go.

Scottish Professional Football League GIF by SPFL

No further questions at this time.