Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Desp said:

He was alright. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact we got a fair bit of cash for him isn't his fault, but it's also miraculous and Sheffield Utd's good turn with this makes me want them to do well. £400k! :lol:

He seems be doing ok with Blackpool so fair play to him. We had a really good spell with our non-league buys around that time. Yes, there was a wee bit of shite, but Heneghan, Moult, Johnson & Bowman brought us the best part of £2m in transfer fees when you include Johnson's sell-on clause. I'm aware Bowman's fee was about £4.95 but he broke that Cream Bun's nose in the Semi Final. Top man. 

We've also had four years of Richard Tait being aw beautiful and hard as nails, while performing as a steady-Eddie full-back.  Successful period all in, IMO. 

I could be miles out on this but I seem to remember that the Bowman fee was a profit on what we paid. Not much like but I think overall that deal washed its face.

Looking at the transfer business for that season specifically it's a bit weird. As you say we had the spell of bringing in non-league guys but the summer window in particular still seems odd.

I don't know if it was laziness on McGhee's part but you had Samson re-signing on top of these:

1754849248_ScreenShot2020-05-06at19_13_17.thumb.png.8eadb971c7ef226b9e1db36d8d00441b.png

I vaguely remember Lee Lucas being completely anonymous, then having one single game where it was like watching peak Andrea Pirlo, then him never being seen again.

Also looking back at that Zak Jules moment, the best thing about it is even the Ross County player looking at him thinking..."wait, what...", clearly wondering if he'd missed a whistle or something and having no clue what to do, such was the level of stupid.

12 minutes ago, Al B said:

I vaguely remember Lee Lucas being completely anonymous, then having one single game where it was like watching peak Andrea Pirlo, then him never being seen again.

It was the 4-1 against Ross County (worth revisiting for Lionel's goal tbh). Some boi.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I was maybe a bit harsh on Heneghan. He wasn't brilliant but the fact that folk always laugh at how much money we got for him says a lot. Prime Paulo Maldini would probably have looked dug shite if you put him next to Zak Jules.

I also feel bad putting Craig Clay in there as he seemed a decent guy and always put in a shift - he just wasn't very good. See also Ryan Bowman.

The rest of them can get in the bin though. I'm convinced we would have been relegated that season had it not been for Moult, Mchugh and (to a certain extent) Tait.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Also looking back at that Zak Jules moment, the best thing about it is even the Ross County player looking at him thinking..."wait, what...", clearly wondering if he'd missed a whistle or something and having no clue what to do, such was the level of stupid.

Craig Clay and Lee Lucas were both dugshite. I seem to remember we gave Lucas a contract despite him being shite and injured all the time.

1 hour ago, Twinkle said:

Just popped in to say hi lads. Also, Andrew Wilson is one of the good guys. See you next season :)

I hate Dundee Utd. Hope ye get relegated again.

3 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Just popped in to say hi lads. Also, Andrew Wilson is one of the good guys. See you next season :)

Get out.

3 hours ago, steelmen said:

I forgot all about Dean Brill. was he not about 30 stone when we signed him?

The heaviest footballer i'd ever seen that didn't help Hibs defeat Rangers in the Scottish cup.

3 hours ago, Al B said:

Aye, then attempted murder on some Hamilton no-mark and was never seen again, from memory.

Did we not make a profit on Stephen Pearson at about age 35?!

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Did we not make a profit on Stephen Pearson at about age 35?!

We got an "undisclosed fee" for him. 

“However, it was then incumbent upon us to try and recoup something to help us find someone else, and that’s what we’ve done. We have been and are engaged in trying to secure a replacement and the midfield area is our priority.”

Link

Going by the accounts our player registration gains for May 31st 2017 were £555,369. So that covers Johnson and Pearson leaving (if you accept we received hee haw for Law).

He went back to India got paid a decent wedge, won the league and then came back in February.

14 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Luca Belic 

Bit weird, but he was cracking on FM around the time he signed for you, so I've always remembered his name.

Came home pished and put on Sky Sports News when I briefly seen the news about Real Madrid signing Luka Jovic, just as it flashed away.

Had to stay awake for the cycle to go around to see if I'd misread it.

Pretty boring story really.

Evening lads. We at The Wyness Shuffle are having a chat with Liam Polworth very shortly (tomorrow to be precise!).

H/T to @thisGRAEME and @capt_oats who provided some absolutely brilliant information for me to research ahead of the pod. There are a good few Well questions to be included already but feel free to send us a couple of questions on Twitter :)

Cheers!

13 minutes ago, steelmen said:

they should really do the 2 games back to back.

the country needs cheering up, so they should just put this on repeat

BQ3e76.gif.56f34fa32a64fe3cc125b45b71122940.gif

I remain convinced that shot was going in, deflection or not. There’s an angle directly behind him where you can see it’s definitely heading into the top corner. 

I mean, obviously the deflection and subsequent utter fanny he makes of it is miles better.