Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think by this point Campbell had already been in the team a fair amount and Cadden was pretty much a regular starter. I absolutely did not realise Turnbull was playing as well. 
Very decent evening out though. A lovely walk down to Hampden in the evening sunshine. 

It was nice to go to hamden and win something for a change.

It was a fantastic performance and they totally outclassed Hearts.

Update from the chairman:

A FURTHER UPDATE FROM THE CHAIRMAN

13:17

I wanted to provide you all with a further update on what we are doing as a club to manage through the crisis and to highlight the exceptional work in the local community our supporters have been carrying out.

Thanks to the sterling efforts of our Community Trust, and funding from key external partners, we were able to deliver over £5,000 worth of food to people who need it most in our local area. Our fans volunteered their time and effort, once again showing that we pull together and support each other in the moments of greatest need.

Our fundraising efforts for the Community Trust, as well as the vitally-important local suicide intervention charity Chris’s House, also continue. You’ve donated close to £10,000 already in such a short space of time as we try and reach our target of £13,742 and I urge anyone who can make any contribution at all to do so to support very important causes.

Our season ticket sales continue to move apace. We are fast approaching 1,500 purchases after just over three weeks, with fans continuing to demonstrate their commitment to the club in uncertain times. This compares to the 327 season tickets that were sold after three weeks last year. Our message remains the same – please buy if you can afford to, but only if you can.

Unfortunately, we are still without the clarity we are all seeking on when we may resume playing football. Our view is that we have to plan for a long delay, but hope and be ready for a shorter one.

The board continues to work to best safeguard the club’s finances and to plan for all potential scenarios. The vast majority of our staff and our playing squad are furloughed as we make use of the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and this makes a significant difference to our financial stability.

Some core staff have been retained to continue the club’s ongoing operations and to help plan for what comes next.

All that is left is to wish you, your family and your friends continued good health during these unprecedented times. We all know how hard this is. And we all know that the only way we will get through it well is by staying strong and in touch with one another like this.

Our club is a family, like never before.

Jim McMahon
Chairman

49 minutes ago, Swello said:

Is that the first confirmation that we've used the Furlough scheme?

As far as I'm aware it's the first official confirmation. I noticed it was a point of contention on Steelmen after it had been mentioned in the paywalled article on Robinson in The Athletic.

Also, it seems Andy Boles is punting his Match Ready Fitness app which all (?) our players are hooked up to (even the u18s). Given that's independent of Motherwell FC that may be a workaround of sorts in terms of training.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Is that the first confirmation that we've used the Furlough scheme?

Broadly, I think just about every club as well as the SPFL is using the furloughing scheme in one way or another, whether it's players or staff. 

I certainly don't have a great problem with it. Understandably when Spurs, a club that's just spent what seems to be a fucking space project budget to build a stadium and have a colossal turnover for £100k a week wages, feels a bit like taking the piss. For the vast majority of clubs in Scotland, I think they'd be doing astonishingly well to avoid taking the opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Broadly, I think just about every club as well as the SPFL is using the furloughing scheme in one way or another, whether it's players or staff. 

I certainly don't have a great problem with it. Understandably when Spurs, a club that's just spent what seems to be a fucking space project budget to build a stadium and have a colossal turnover for £100k a week wages, feels a bit like taking the piss. For the vast majority of clubs in Scotland, I think they'd be doing astonishingly well to avoid taking the opportunity. 

I've got no problem with it - when you see the turnover of the club, it's squarely in the bracket that the scheme is really meant for. It was more that other clubs were more explicit about it early on in the process whereas we had the suspicion that we were burning through the James Scott money waiting for decisions to be made....

Just purchased my season ticket this afternoon! Hopefully we will have some games to use it on.

Regarding the Furlough, i'm glad we are actually utilising it.  With the amount of money we have, i believe we could end up in some serious trouble if we had to pay everyone with basically zero income coming through. Just like @thisGRAEME has said, we are not a rich club like most of the English Premier league and we don't have the big financial backers that some other Scottish clubs may have. If Celtic require to furlough their staff then i would expect every Scottish team to do so as well.

Unfortunately as cracking a football team as they were, they were also big shitebags when it came to Cup football. 

Even outside that night at Ibrox, they also got papped out at home by bottom six sides on three separate occasions. Getting knocked out at home to Aberdeen in 2012, only to turnaround and pump them 4-1 at Fir Park in the league a few weeks later summed that team up. 

It’s bizarre looking back that McCall somehow took us to the Scottish Cup final during his patchy first six months in charge, yet never got a sniff of Hampden again the next few years when we were consistently ‘best of the rest’ in the league.  

Edited by Casagolda

A lot of people say that team should have won a trophy but the reality is they were never anywhere near it.

If we had even made 1 or 2 semi-finals of either cup then fair enough - you could call that a good cup run and say we were just unlucky. However, looking back the furthest we got was the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup where we lost at home to an Aberdeen team that ended up finishing 9th that season.

Still my favourite Motherwell side of recent memory mind you.

35 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I reckon McCall was the bigger issue, but it'd be interesting to see that team with, for example, McManus, Pearson and McDonald magically dropped into it.

I'm not sure you've considered the damage Higdon and McDonald combined would do to the blood pressure of the Motherwell fanbase, here.

To be a good cup team you need a combination of character and luck. Having a good team quality wise isn't enough on its own. The McCall side of 2011 - 2013 was one of the best Motherwell side man for man over the last two decades but didn't have an ounce of bottle when it came down to big, one off games, especially Cup ties. For as good as that team was in the league, the pathetic efforts they turned in in Cup ties during that period will always hang over them like a big, back cloud and I for one will never forgive McCall for some of the disastrous collapses he overseen when he had a really good team at his disposal.