Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, ropy said:

I would think that record may attract another bigger job down south in the next year (of playing football), if he keeps the standard up the international job will come at some point.

I'm not sure that's actually the case tbh. He's already had his stint at Oldham which regardless of the circumstances still shows up as 21.2% win rate on his CV but this is his first proper job.

Looking at our previous managers McCall had the opportunity to leave but fucked it - even then Sheffield United were League 1 at the time. Brown and McGhee left for Aberdeen but you probably need to go back to Davies to find a manager who left us to go on to manage at a "higher" level through his career (inexplicably in his case - the absolute weirdo he is).

If anything O'Neil's probably a good example of what making a go of the NI job could do for Robinson...would he be likely to get a gig like Stoke directly from Fir Park? Probably not.

Not that I'm packing his bags for him or anything, it'd be a boot in the baws especially if we've got a couple signed up on pre-contracts and are speaking to others about extensions but in terms of the model at the club in terms of being a platform and everything then Motherwell to International Manager is definitely in line with the upward career trajectory we're keen to bang on about.

Edited by capt_oats

Unfortunately, the TV money seems to depend on it right now. Unless they also set up a diddy Glasgow cup where the gruesome twosome can play each other another twice.

I know but I am sick of it. If dropping down a league wouldn’t be as catastrophic financially I’d be all for a stint in the championship just to get some variety.

Just let the leave to a league of 2, 38 games a season against each other.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

2011 Semi-Final against St Johnstone on YouTube tonight.

Jesus, St Johnstone were bad. Really drives home what a fantastic job Tommy Wright has done turning that clown car outfit around. 

Great manager, deserves a crack at a higher level imo.

One of the worst Saints game I've been to, a total non-event.

Last two Semis I remembered before that were against Celtic and Rangers while we were a First Division side. Celtic dived to win a penalty and beat us 2-1, then Rangers dived to equalise and beat us on penalties. (We apparently lost another to Rangers at some point but I've erased that game entirely).

This was us now. Top flight side and against a team there was genuine belief we could beat.

Game over by half time 😂 just didnt turn up.

Luckily the next Semi-Final I remember, Aberdeen at Tynecastle, was much better...

Spoiler

It was worse.

Looking back it's not hard to understand why older fans were in tears when we did eventually win a Scottish Cup Semi Final 😂

Edited by RandomGuy.

That saints semi was one of the weirdest feelings at a game ever. We had just qualified for the final but there wasn’t too much excitement on our bus. Think all the celebrations were done after the 3rd went in and the game wasn’t great after that.

Now compare that to the Hearts CIS semi or the Sevco and Aberdeen ones a few years back.. now those were celebrated properly.

FWIW The Courier today is saying that Ian Baraclough is the leading contender for the NI job, and its "his to lose".

Expected to be named interm boss initially. 

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

1474888154_257098_1(1).jpg.c1e38cac3e9f00e4e1361366995b38c1.jpg

Was Lanarkshire briefly gripped by a flared jeans craze in 2011 that I've forgotten about or did Jamie Murphy have trouble finding clothes that fit him?

0_Motherwell-FC.jpg

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW The Courier today is saying that Ian Baraclough is the leading contender for the NI job, and its "his to lose".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I love Bara so much. Said we could win the league, bodied Rangers, loves a Stegosaurus and now this.

What a man.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Baraclough was absolutely shite when he was managing us*. 

*Apart from when he masterminded an absolute ragdolling of Rangers for 180 minutes.