Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Scott Burns has us with Rickie Lamie and Jordan White "lined up" along with the O'Hara deal.

No massive surprises there like. Both were linked a while back.

Meant to say, Tony Watt was on Danny Denholm's Lower League Ramblings pod the other week. A bit of Motherwell chat in there.

Edited by capt_oats

Still surprised to see White linked with Premiership sides. He's not overly prolific but he does work hard and can work well even by himself up front but he is surprisingly poor in the air considering his height. I'd imagine he will be lucky to bag double figures for a Premiership side but maybe with some better quality setting up chances for him that might see a better return. I like him but wouldn't be losing too much sleep if we did lose him. I suspect he'd be quite keen to return to the central belt.

Wee plug for our ICT podcast The Wyness Shuffle but we spoke with White last weekend if anyone wants to hear him speak about his time at ICT - https://thewynessshuffle.podbean.com/e/the-whitecafu-show/

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

Still surprised to see White linked with Premiership sides. He's not overly prolific but he does work hard and can work well even by himself up front but he is surprisingly poor in the air considering his height. I'd imagine he will be lucky to bag double figures for a Premiership side but maybe with some better quality setting up chances for him that might see a better return. I like him but wouldn't be losing too much sleep if we did lose him. I suspect he'd be quite keen to return to the central belt.

Wee plug for our ICT podcast The Wyness Shuffle but we spoke with White last weekend if anyone wants to hear him speak about his time at ICT - https://thewynessshuffle.podbean.com/e/the-whitecafu-show/

Tbh, I'd imagine White will be coming in as a squad player rather than us hanging our hat on him for goals. We've lacked that 'lump' option since Bowman, Main and Sammon left and it's been one of the criticisms that our forward line has been a bit lightweight and same-y.

We were supposed to have a deal on the table for Chris Long but then all *this* happened so f**k knows what'll happen with that and I'd be hopeful that Tony Watt might stick around given we signed him and he's only had a handful of appearances. Going by his chat on Danny Denholm's podcast he seems to get on with Robinson and seems up for being involved.

I'd imagine that in the grand scheme of things we'd probably see Christy Manzinga cut loose an us run with Watt, Long (or an alternate) and White for our centre forwards.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'd imagine White will be coming in as a squad player rather than us hanging our hat on him for goals. We've lacked that 'lump' option since Bowman, Main and Sammon left and it's been one of the criticisms that our forward line has been a bit lightweight and same-y.

Agree with this. 

Watching us launch high balls up to Bevis Mugabi for the last 20 mins at Almondvale was definitely one of the more surreal moments of this(last?) season. However it highlighted our real need for a more physical option once Scott and Cole left- and lets face it Manzinga just won’t do at all.  

Would like to keep Long but from what I’ve heard, he wants to move back down South. Outside of him and Gillespie(who’s clearly away), I can’t say there’s too many others I’d be desperate to keep. 

Think I’m right in saying that would leave-  Ferguson, Hartley,Tait, Dunne, Livingstone, Maguire, Watt, Ilic and Manzinga as the others out of contract?

Potentially a couple there worth keeping but arguably very few if any who’d actually get into our starting 11. 

Edited by Casagolda

If this Mark Gillespie to Newcastle thing is true, do we praise him or criticise him? 

I mean, Jake Hastie got absolutely slaughtered for his move to Rangers last year (moving a bigger club, for far more money, but zero chance of actually playing football regularly). Gillespie, at 28 is going into his peak years and will be giving up at least a couple of those years to sit in the stands every Saturday.

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah that's fair enough. Some variety to your attackers makes sense and it's something we've lacked actually. White and Todorov seem pretty similar in their styles and losing one will just mean the other steps in.

If you have any lightweight nippy forwards going spare feel free to send them our way.

24 minutes ago, Swello said:

Quite enjoying this annual raid on ICT and Livi TBH - there seems to be some mileage in the whole "come and play for a very slightly bigger club, lads" strategy.

Tbh, our scouting/targets ATM seem to be very much along the lines of "people who have played with/are pals of Declan Gallagher and/or Tony Watt".

Edited by capt_oats

Yeah that's fair enough. Some variety to your attackers makes sense and it's something we've lacked actually. White and Todorov seem pretty similar in their styles and losing one will just mean the other steps in.

If you have any lightweight nippy forwards going spare feel free to send them our way.
You can have Christy Manzinga. Although he's massive and shite rather than lightweight and nippy.

54 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Listening to @AndyRoss interviewing Keith Lasley & John Sutton on the MFC Podcast. I'm not sure it's legal to get that amount of handsome on the same podcast.

Was a very enjoyable listen, the Craig Brown walking on his hands part completely threw me.

I recently signed up for the Terrace patreon(thoroughly recommend) and also fair enjoyed listening to @AndyRoss & @thisGRAEME ranking the signings Terry Butcher made during his spell as Motherwell manager. Had forgotten how much dross we signed around the admin era, guys like Gary Bollan who I'd also completely forgot actually played for Motherwell. Also some proper obscure signings like Steve McDonald, Abel Thermeus and Khaled Kemas.

Although to be fair to Kemas, his only goal for us was as good as anything you're likely to see at Fir Park. A shame for the guy we got pumped 5-1 by Livi and most folk have tried their best to wipe this career highlight from their memory.

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Listening to @AndyRoss interviewing Keith Lasley & John Sutton on the MFC Podcast. I'm not sure it's legal to get that amount of handsome on the same podcast.

Aye. It's worth mentioning that the Podcast Twitter has shifted to a new handle and @AndyRoss is doing a run of pods with in support of Scottish Association for Mental Health so it's worth chucking a couple of quid their way if you're able to.

+1 on the Terrace Patreon podcasts with @thisGRAEME being a great listen btw.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

See when folk talk about how Woods wasn't that bad; 2 & 5 here, my memory is that sort of thing all the fuckin time and I won't be told otherwise.

Still, Lee Makel and Khaled Kemas with bangers, who knew.

Cheers for listening, I'd actually forgotten we'd done that :lol:

Also, @RiG, the Wyness Shuffle is the best podcast name in Scottish football, IMO.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

See when folk talk about how Woods wasn't that bad; 2 & 5 here, my memory is that sort of thing all the fuckin time and I won't be told otherwise.

Still, Lee Makel and Khaled Kemas with bangers, who knew.

Cheers for listening, I'd actually forgotten we'd done that :lol:

Also, @RiG, the Wyness Shuffle is the best podcast name in Scottish football, IMO.

Aye Stevie Woods was shite. Not Craig Samson shite. But definitely shite.

Edited by well fan for life

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Also some proper obscure signings like Steve McDonald, Abel Thermeus and Khaled Kemas.

I've got a pretty good memory for obscure nonsense but some of the signings from that era totally dropped out of my memory - I only remember Thermeus because of the hilarious flask patter...

Was McDonald a tall aussie (as opposed to the grumpy, short one that was a bit more successful)?