Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Missed this from Jim McMahon over the weekend.

A MESSAGE FROM OUR CHAIRMAN, JIM MCMAHON

Saturday 04 April 2020

I wanted to follow up on the recent statement by the Well Society which was so well received by our community and outline where we are as a club.

The position we find ourselves in is unprecedented. The combined effects of the Covid-19 outbreak and the consequential economic disruption is an unpredictable event with potentially severe consequences. It hasn’t happened before. There is no map which shows the way out. There are no set of instructions we can follow.

We go into this in a relatively strong position. For our club to thrive, it needs all the component parts: the board, executive management, coaching staff, players, fans and our owners, the Well Society, to work harmoniously. And since the move to fan ownership that has happened, everyone has a common purpose and all those different groups have pursued the good of the club without partiality or self-interest.

That said, the threat to the club is real and we have no handrails to guide us safely through. But we do have each other and the community we are from.

We will ensure that continues and we will be guided by a few key principles in the months ahead:

1) The safety of all our people is our absolute priority. We were ahead of the curve in taking action to protect the health of our community. We will enact all that has been asked of us by government. We will not try to ‘game the system’ for short-term advantage.

2) After that is guaranteed, as much as it can be in this situation, then the survival and long-term health of our club is the next key task. We are not in an immediate liquidity (cash) crisis. We have managed our resources diligently. But this is not a short-term problem in our view and we are looking at all possible funding packages to build up our cash reserves. We will update you regularly on this and can I thank all of you who are donating to the Well Society in these extremely difficult financial times.

3) We will act decently in ensuring our future. Decently to our employees, players and fans and in particular we will continue to support the Community Trust, whose role is even more important in this situation.

What we need most just now is clarity from the football authorities. With some certainty about how this and next season will look, we can plan and take the necessary actions.

When you go into our CEO Alan Burrows’ office at Fir Park, the first thing you see is a quote on his wall which says “I shall either find a way or make one.”

There is no clear and obvious way at present. But we all have so much of ourselves invested in the club we love that we will make one. We will come through this. Whatever has to happen, we will make happen with the long-term future of our community in mind and our club at its heart.

Thank you all for your support.

Jim McMahon
Chairman

Watched the wee piece on youtube about David Turnbull and his recovery. Seems such a genuinely nice young man and down to earth as well. He loves motherwell as much as they love him. Deserve every penny you lads get for him when his big move eventually comes about.

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I am gonna renew, Can I go into the office?

The full spiel is here - renew online or over the phone.

Season tickets for the 2020/21 campaign are now available to buy.

These are unprecedented and uncertain times. We hope that all of you are well and staying safe.

As things stand, our club finds itself in a relatively strong position. But it is not immune to the threat which exists. For us to thrive, we all have to pull together. Like we always do.

To help us plan ahead, we are asking you today to renew or buy your season ticket for the 2020/21 campaign.

To buy, please use our online purchasing service at tickets.motherwellfc.co.uk if you can. You can also call us between 10am and 3pm, Monday to Friday, on 01698 333333.

We’re freezing our season ticket prices from 2019/20. And, again, we are offering Early Bird pricing, giving you a discount if you are able to renew between now and May 31.

Additionally, in light of the ongoing uncertainty over whether the current season will be concluded, everyone who buys a new season ticket will be given free entry to our first UEFA Europa League or Scottish League Cup fixture.

We understand there are unanswered questions, including what will happen with the remainder of the 2019/20 season. As soon as this becomes clear, we will let you know what the decisions of the football authorities are.

Edited by capt_oats

46 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I totally understand why the club is trying to sell season tickets but one of the big uncertainties is how many games there will be next season.

To me it doesn’t matter how many games there are. If I see any at all it will be a bonus.

I will look upon it as a donation to keep the club afloat in the current circumstances.

Appreciate not everyone will be in a financial position to do it though.

To me it doesn’t matter how many games there are. If I see any at all it will be a bonus.
I will look upon it as a donation to keep the club afloat in the current circumstances.

exactly this.

Stuck it on the credit card and if COVID kills me, the life insurance will cover it.

7 hours ago, santheman said:

Yep - my work has been (so far) unaffected by this stuff, so I've renewed earlier than normal purely to support the club but there will be loads of people who aren't able/willing to renew at this point and that is - massively - fine.

There isn't much analysis going on as this season's ticket wasn't exactly a value for money proposition in the end but as I reckon this is my 33rd season ticket in a row, I'm a total lost cause anyway...

19 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Sold more in 24 hours than the first 3 weeks last year. I mean, I'm sure there are caveats to what that actually means but it's a good start...

I'm renewing once I get paid. I don't really care whether we get a full season with it, I see it as a contribution to keeping the club going that will get me back to the football whenever that is. 

There's much bigger things going on in the world but, my goodness, I miss football. I don't think I realised how much I look forward to it Monday-Friday until this.

On 08/04/2020 at 15:07, well fan for life said:

I'm renewing once I get paid. I don't really care whether we get a full season with it, I see it as a contribution to keeping the club going that will get me back to the football whenever that is. 

There's much bigger things going on in the world but, my goodness, I miss football. I don't think I realised how much I look forward to it Monday-Friday until this.

Same, tbh. I've never actually had a season ticket despite being there most weeks, but feel kind of obliged to. 

Fortunate enough that work continues and I continue to get paid. What it means longer term f**k knows, but given that I won't be going far from the ML1 postcode at weekends for the next foreseeable, it'll save me dropping in at the spar for cash anyway. 

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Were there a few games where we played John Sutton at centre half or have I just taken memories of Celtic playing Chris Sutton there and merged them in my mind?

You are correct. 

You've just taken memories of Celtic playing Chris Sutton there and merged them in your mind. 

21 minutes ago, Desp said:

You are correct. 

You've just taken memories of Celtic playing Chris Sutton there and merged them in your mind. 

We should have tried it at some point imo, could have been on to a winner.

Part of me is still convinced it happened. Maybe against Dundee United.