Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Well...this is something.

We (along with Hearts) seem to have told Barnsley's owners to f**k off regarding an approach to "takeover talks". Which is nice.

Interesting. Obviously the best thing about fan ownership is that we can tell random shysters to f**k off - but it doesn't appear that we were asked :)

13 hours ago, Swello said:

Interesting. Obviously the best thing about fan ownership is that we can tell random shysters to f**k off - but it doesn't appear that we were asked :)

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Given we knocked back their Turnbull offer in summer, I'd be interested to know what they were offering for the entire club.

Tbf, the original story (re: Hearts) was Stephen McGowan's and ran in the Scottish Daily Mail. I'll not link to it because...f**k the Daily Mail but looking at the spiel below it seems like they're generally just looking for opportunity and want to sit down and get facetime with prospective clubs who might be interested in their investment, they were the mob who were in for Thistle prior to the Weir fan ownership shambles - they also sound like absolute worst c***s tbh.

Speaking to Sportsmail from Florida he said: 'We want to take this opportunity in the current environment to say to clubs in Scotland, we are open for business.'

'We are hearing there might be more flexibility with regard to dual ownership, which might be a good thing during this difficult period for clubs.

'We can move fast for the right opportunity in the Scottish league and we are open to creative deals.'

'We would look to bring the same methods we employ with our other clubs such as Barnsley - which is a young team, data-led, balancing a budget sensibly. We would look to run a club as a proper business.

'To that end we have told the SFA and the league to feel free to get the word out that we are open to conversations with Scottish clubs.'

Speaking to Sportsmail from Florida he said: 'We want to take this opportunity in the current environment to say to clubs in Scotland, we are open for business.'

'We are hearing there might be more flexibility with regard to dual ownership, which might be a good thing during this difficult period for clubs.

'We can move fast for the right opportunity in the Scottish league and we are open to creative deals.'

'We would look to bring the same methods we employ with our other clubs such as Barnsley - which is a young team, data-led, balancing a budget sensibly. We would look to run a club as a proper business.

'To that end we have told the SFA and the league to feel free to get the word out that we are open to conversations with Scottish clubs.'

'We spent a lot of time on Partick Thistle and it was disappointing it didn't come off,' Conway admits.

'I was in Glasgow four times and I had a vision for the club.

'Unfortunately since then their backer has passed away and the club has passed to fan ownership.

'The issue then was that a lack of SFA flexibility with regard to dual ownership and then there was a side issue with the owners trying to sell real estate around the stadium that we really weren't interested in.

'But we are already in England and think we can make a Scottish club younger, more competitive and self sustaining. If the right opportunity comes up we would be happy to do so.'

'Unfortunately since then their backer has passed away and the club has passed to fan ownership.

'The issue then was that a lack of SFA flexibility with regard to dual ownership and then there was a side issue with the owners trying to sell real estate around the stadium that we really weren't interested in.

'But we are already in England and think we can make a Scottish club younger, more competitive and self sustaining. If the right opportunity comes up we would be happy to do so.'

Our name appeared in the follow up story that ran yesterday in the Mail with Budge confirming there had been an approach to Hearts that had been kb'd and the article saying that we were the other club they'd "made contact" with and were "poised to reject" an approach to sit down with them. The BBC article saying we'd also told them to f**k off ran far later in the day.

Tbf if their model is "we can make a Scottish club younger, more competitive and self sustaining." then I can see why they'd like the look of us as an option to add to their portfolio but equally we're already doing that without their involvement - so other than financial backing I'm not sure what the incentive would be for us to hand over profits to owners rather than reinvesting in the club.

Fwiw - here's Chien Lee's Wiki which gives a fairly detailed list of the number of clubs he/his investment company have tried to acquire - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chien_Lee

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've never seen the photos of the players drinking cups of tea on the pitch before. Sensational :lol:

Tea was being served by my PE teacher like...

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I was a little disappointed there wasn’t a pitch invasion.

That's why the fences were there innit...

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've never seen the photos of the players drinking cups of tea on the pitch before. Sensational :lol:

Watching the whole thing for the first time in probably 20 years - it was definitely "old fitba" - and it surprised me how different it felt TBH.

It was the last Scottish Cup Final played in front of the terracing at Hampden and it was also still in the era where backpasses were allowed (was it the next season that it changed or the one after?) - and they are both things that really dated it. One thing that really surprised me was that even when we were hanging on at the end of normal time and the end of extra time, there was no passing it between the centre-backs and then back to the keeper to waste time, which was a fucking scourge of football at that point - as anyone that watched Craig Levein and Dave McPherson pass the ball back to Henry Smith 30 or 40 times a game will attest. 

With the old, unreformed offside law, it used to be too easy to play an offside trap and again (given that Utd used to be masters at that), I was surprised how few of those there were in the game - but seeing Hamish French's goal chalked off looked ridiculous in 2020. The fact that the offside now is so complex, no-one bothers to play for it is another good thing about modern fitba (although VAR might reverse it)

In 1991 there were still players who dived for fouls of course and we all used to moan about it but to me it was quite jarring to watch a game where every physical contact wasn't exaggerated - in the vast majority of cases, the players took a bump and just got on with it and the game flowed well as a result (although Syme's refereeing performance that day was an anomaly - I think he had bought into the whole Family Final schtick and was determined to ignore everything).  

Anyway - apart from watching us win the cup - it was interesting to watch a game from * just* before football got modern....

1 hour ago, Swello said:

(snipped)

Anyway - apart from watching us win the cup - it was interesting to watch a game from * just* before football got modern....

I watched it together (in the virtual sense) with an English ex-colleague of mine who knows my love of the 'Well.  He came up with pretty much the same analysis.  He also was  impressed with the whole pace of the match, and really enjoyed it. 

First time I've watched it entirely for 20+ years as well.  I remember having tears of joy in my eyes at the point we went 3-1 up ...  "we're gonna do it!".  I hadn't remembered how quickly Utd had scored afterwards, and the fear was back.

What a day.  Isn't it horrible to think how easy it would have been to lose that game though?  So many happy memories hinging on just a few crucial moments.

Dunno If I said it on P&B yet, I was only 7, nearly 8 years old.
I am so glad I was there. I remember parts of the game, I remember some emotions from the game.
With about 5 mins to go the 'Well fans around me and my Da were singing "we're gonna win the cup!" I remember looking at my da for some sort of approval to join in and he said to me "It's too fucking early". Turns out he was right at that point.

I was in Hampden very early, I mind runnin in and ducking under the standing barriers, the place was almost empty and I was looking around as I misjudged one of the barriers, cracked my head aff the metal and was greeting.
I dunno why but I didn't want to go to FP after the game and I think I ruined that for ma Da afterwards.
Ultimately I was too young to realise what an achievement it actually was. I loved it and being the only 'Well fan in my school class I went on about it for years in every "talk" or short story I had to write. There were 3 'well fans in my street growing up and I can mind us all playing fitba in the days/weeks after and chatting away about it as wee guys did.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Dunno If I said it on P&B yet, I was only 7, nearly 8 years old.
I am so glad I was there. I remember parts of the game, I remember some emotions from the game.
With about 5 mins to go the 'Well fans around me and my Da were singing "we're gonna win the cup!" I remember looking at my da for some sort of approval to join in and he said to me "It's too fucking early". Turns out he was right at that point.

I was in Hampden very early, I mind runnin in and ducking under the standing barriers, the place was almost empty and I was looking around as I misjudged one of the barriers, cracked my head aff the metal and was greeting.
I dunno why but I didn't want to go to FP after the game and I think I ruined that for ma Da afterwards.
Ultimately I was too young to realise what an achievement it actually was. I loved it and being the only 'Well fan in my school class I went on about it for years in every "talk" or short story I had to write. There were 3 'well fans in my street growing up and I can mind us all playing fitba in the days/weeks after and chatting away about it as wee guys did.

Telford Street Motherwell Supporters Club

Very "business as usual" chat in the press today - which feels a bit weird.

Gallagher saying he's open to extending his deal (it's in The Sun - f**k the Sun but Viva Motherwell has the quote).

Robinson saying we're actively discussing contracts and speaking to players in The Record.

Robinson said: “It’s probably possible to work from home as a manager in more ways than you might think, particularly at a club the size of ours.

“We’re constantly working with budgets and there are certain things you can do on the phone that you’d be doing from your office anyway.

“We’re still actively speaking to players, discussing contracts and looking at the finances. There are a lot of players out of contract at the end of this season who haven’t yet agreed deals.

“We are also having ongoing talks with the players we’ve identified and are trying to sign. We have kept all of that going.

“We have a lot of boys out of contract.

“Some of them are in a precarious position but there’s no point in speaking to them right now because the current season might start up again.

“A lot of our recruitment is online where we can watch every single game. That doesn’t stop, we are still constantly looking.

“The players we’ve already spoken to elsewhere will continue to be spoken to. We’d already made decisions on players that we’d go for.

There's a bunch of other stuff in the interview in terms of the strength and conditioning programs Andy Boles has put in place and how we're remotely monitoring them (in between Gallagher and Watt playing FIFA clearly) and the work Davie Henderson's been doing.

Edited by capt_oats

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Very "business as usual" chat in the press today - which feels a bit weird.

Gallagher saying he's open to extending his deal (it's in The Sun - f**k the Sun but Viva Motherwell has the quote).

Robinson saying we're actively discussing contracts and speaking to players in The Record.

There's a bunch of other stuff in the interview in terms of the strength and conditioning programs Andy Boles has put in place and how we're remotely monitoring them (in between Gallagher and Watt playing FIFA clearly) and the work Davie Henderson's been doing.

The chat at the weekend was that if players are following these programs then they are not furloughed and the government payouts wouldn’t apply.