Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Barry Maguire in the Scotland u21 squad...

strange yin that IMO

17 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Disappointing but highly informative post.  I haven't seen that much of him but know he's highly regarded.

Are the club going to get the money for cadden? 

Who knows. There was a point where I thought Celtic should have went for campbell and Scott Broon could have taken him under his wing.

I think I have a wee bit more hope for him than Joe, but I get Joe's point.

57 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I've always thought that he's not the type of player who would make us a lot of money, but he will still be 22 when his contact expires next summer so if he were to leave on a bosman, at least we would still get compensation (provided he didn't join Columbus Crew via a loan at Oxford).

By all accounts, he's first in and last out every day at Fir Park, is super fit and a dedicated pro. Right back to when he was in the team as a teenager, it always impressed me how he wasn't at all fazed by going toe-to-toe with the likes of Scott Brown. I think his game is centre far more on attitude and physical condition, than it is on technique. 

I said this last week before the game to my mates (right before he scored twice and got a MOTM performance of course) that I thought being a really good Motherwell player was his level and that if he does go next summer, he's the type of player I could see going down to League One and if he doesn't become an eventual templated returning Motherwell player, I could see him ending up back up the road at a team like Hibs or Aberdeen.

This might seem harsh, I do love him and he's exactly the type of player fans like to see, would run through a brick wall for the team etc, but my gut instinct is that he maybe just lacks a little finesse to play at a much higher level than this.

Weirdly, I said pretty much the exact same to my mates before the Ross County game and he then went on to have his best performance in ages, making me look a bit of an idiot. I described him as the new Keith Lasley, could be a club legend but not sure how he would handle the step up to another level.

Hopefully he gets his chance to prove me wrong, gets a decent move in the summer, and we make £1million+ off the back of it.

Not yet, Maguire is actually older than Campbell. I hope this doesn't mean the injury he picked up on Saturday has him out for Friday, but I suppose there's a good chance the club have said to the SFA that he is "carrying" an injury, coupled with quoting the figure of km he has ran in recent weeks in order to get him a rest.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I've always thought that he's not the type of player who would make us a lot of money, but he will still be 22 when his contact expires next summer so if he were to leave on a bosman, at least we would still get compensation (provided he didn't join Columbus Crew via a loan at Oxford).

By all accounts, he's first in and last out every day at Fir Park, is super fit and a dedicated pro. Right back to when he was in the team as a teenager, it always impressed me how he wasn't at all fazed by going toe-to-toe with the likes of Scott Brown. I think his game is centre far more on attitude and physical condition, than it is on technique. 

I said this last week before the game to my mates (right before he scored twice and got a MOTM performance of course) that I thought being a really good Motherwell player was his level and that if he does go next summer, he's the type of player I could see going down to League One and if he doesn't become an eventual templated returning Motherwell player, I could see him ending up back up the road at a team like Hibs or Aberdeen.

This might seem harsh, I do love him and he's exactly the type of player fans like to see, would run through a brick wall for the team etc, but my gut instinct is that he maybe just lacks a little finesse to play at a much higher level than this.

I've mentioned this before but Burrows did a pod with with Scottish FA Marketing Podcast a while back that's really good - one his points was that we look to develop a player brand and cited Campbell as an example (along with referencing the Gboly 'Brand Personality Strategy Document').

"It was very important for us to try and establish every player with a brand, if you like, some are more obvious than others....A really good example of that would be Allan Campbell.

The vision we had for Allan was this hard working, industrial, really serious side to his game. When anyone talks about him it's always about "he's in the gym first, he's out last". So from that point of view we wanted to we framed Allan and we always frame Allan with the message publicly is that Allan's never involved in anything that's jovial, Allan's never involved in anything we do that's "fun" or kicking about as it doesn't really fit to Allan's narrative. Allan's all about hard work, endeavour and effort. So if you ever look at anything with Motherwell and search over the last 6 or 7 months anything that you read or see; pictures, videos anything with Allan will be hard work orientated."

The point re: Campbell is that the key qualities they've tried to frame and reinforce are exactly as you say attitude and physical condition. How you've described his is exactly how the club have presented him publicly and also what you see on the park every week. Which I suppose isn't as sexy as Turnbull or Gboly or even Scott.

Obviously there needs to be buy in from the player if we're actively pushing him front and centre (like making a 40 min documentary about his rehab from injury or lobbying for a centre half to get a Scotland call up for example) but I get the feeling that Campbell's someone we've pushed but he's kind of flown under the radar because his "narrative" isn't quite as eye-catching.

I mean, we've had a ton of handwringing about Turnbull over the past few days but not a peep about Campbell - they both have exactly the same length  of time remaining on their contracts.

Maybe if we'd gone all in on the Lanarkshire Kante brand it may have had more of a hook.

Edited by capt_oats

37 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sorry to post twice in a row but since we don't get Reserve highlights any more - Morton have stuck the 3-5 from yesterday up on their YouTube.

First I've seen of Max Hutchison (son of Don).

Actually good to see that (apart from the motion sickness I'm now suffering).

Morton obviously haven't been looking at their engagement data and as such, haven't realised that they don't need to bother as no-one is interested...

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Not yet, Maguire is actually older than Campbell. 

I've thought about this approximately every 30 seconds since your post and I still can't fully believe it. It's the Motherwell squad trivia equivalent of Cleopatra being alive closer to the present day than the pyramids being built.

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've thought about this approximately every 30 seconds since your post and I still can't fully believe it. It's the Motherwell squad trivia equivalent of Cleopatra being alive closer to the present day than the pyramids being built.

Less time separates us from Tyrannosaurus rex than separated T-rex from Stegosaurus.

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Sorry to post twice in a row but since we don't get Reserve highlights any more - Morton have stuck the 3-5 from yesterday up on their YouTube.

First I've seen of Max Hutchison (son of Don).

I didn’t see that o.g. coming

For all it's easy to be snarky about the Turnbull documentary that's it the 4th most popular video ever on the MFC YouTube channel in the space of a week - so it's done #numbers cross platform (and YouTube seems to be a socials channel we have a bit of difficulty with) and tbh it's a very well put together documentary.

1684421538_ScreenShot2020-03-11at17_54_56.thumb.png.2ea83316effd751e7db14e48854855b0.png

In terms of the Reserves stuff though - we have a camera placed in the stand at the games anyway (certainly the ones I've been at) which is presumably for analysis. There's someone with a go-pro/handheld and that seems to be what we've been using for the social posts this season, so presumably the footage is there - it's simply a choice not to edit together and post a more traditional highlights package.

This is the last Reserves game that was posted on YouTube and it has 1.4k views (as does the Reserves highlights vs Aberdeen) - which is actually more than the player reactions, story of the match and manager pre & post match from the same week.

Spoiler

1835813748_ScreenShot2020-03-11at09_07_47.thumb.png.8c5ba6cf9975f3fea6549433c881b5da.png

I get that we use analytics to track engagement and the Twitter stuff makes sense as it has shifted to being an algorithm based platform but ultimately - niche as it may be -sometimes folk would just be happy to get a look at the Dev games in a fairly standard format that gives you a bit of context.

Edited by capt_oats