Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Swello said:

Hope for his own sake, he doesn't make it near the first team - he'd be the definition of a "hiding to nothing" regardless of how good he was...

I'm not actually sure he'd be eligible anyway. He's already played for Crusaders and Oldham this season.

A minute off the bench for Oldham and 9 mins for Crusaders.

^^^^ This post is nonsense....

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
4 hours ago, capt_oats said:
I'm not actually sure he'd be eligible anyway. He's already played for Crusaders and Oldham this season.
A minute off the bench for Oldham and 9 mins for Crusaders.

So if he's not eligible to play for the first team, have we signed a player on a short term deal for the reserves?

He hasn't played for Oldham this season. That 1 minute sub appearance was in January 2019.

I don't think he will play for the first team this season though. He is only 19.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

He hasn't played for Oldham this season. That 1 minute sub appearance was in January 2019.

I don't think he will play for the first team this season though. He is only 19.

Stand corrected on that. I mean, it even says it was January 2019 in the blurb about his release - f**k.sake.

As you were.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, nsr said:

Unless he supports them or sees them as a stepping stone to bigger things, I don't see the attraction of Celtic to a player of DT's ability.

Me neither, its a daft move at his age.  He should be moving to one of the big five leagues or at worst the English Championship for a team (Norwich) who expect to get promoted very quickly.

19 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Me neither, its a daft move at his age.  He should be moving to one of the big five leagues or at worst the English Championship for a team (Norwich) who expect to get promoted very quickly.

Yip 

Just look at the young boy Gilmour who told “The Rangers” to get to fcuk

If your good enough and have confidence in your own ability you’ll get your chance and more money down south

Ps Turnbull is good enough to make it at the highest level down there

28 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Yip 

If your good enough and have confidence in your own ability you’ll get your chance and more money down south

Ps Turnbull is good enough to make it at the highest level down there

I think he could just about play anywhere he wants.  Also thinks it causes a player to grow up quicker on and off the park.  Would love to see him go to the continent, Ajax or something.

32 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

So Motherwell fans, do you have any other kids coming through soon?  Some outstanding players the last few years, seems to be almost a conveyor belt.  

And how good is Allan Campbell?

He's going on loan to Newcastle for a year so we can sell him for £5m

11 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Gilmour's pathway to Chelsea's first team mirrors the decisions McKinstry and McAlear took to patch our Academy and join Leeds and Norwich respectively at the start of the season that got some folk bent out of shape because we were perceived to be selling players on before we'd even seen them in the first team - McKinstry made the bench last season, McAlear was part of the squad in the pre-season friendlies.

Aside from him being an exceptionally talented player the reason Gilmour's getting his opportunity is precisely because he's a Chelsea Academy player and he's a product of their system - if it wasn't Gilmour then it's be some other re-gen plucked from their stockpile that would be in their midfield at the moment.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

So Motherwell fans, do you have any other kids coming through soon?  Some outstanding players the last few years, seems to be almost a conveyor belt.  

And how good is Allan Campbell?

I've always thought that he's not the type of player who would make us a lot of money, but he will still be 22 when his contact expires next summer so if he were to leave on a bosman, at least we would still get compensation (provided he didn't join Columbus Crew via a loan at Oxford).

By all accounts, he's first in and last out every day at Fir Park, is super fit and a dedicated pro. Right back to when he was in the team as a teenager, it always impressed me how he wasn't at all fazed by going toe-to-toe with the likes of Scott Brown. I think his game is centre far more on attitude and physical condition, than it is on technique. 

I said this last week before the game to my mates (right before he scored twice and got a MOTM performance of course) that I thought being a really good Motherwell player was his level and that if he does go next summer, he's the type of player I could see going down to League One and if he doesn't become an eventual templated returning Motherwell player, I could see him ending up back up the road at a team like Hibs or Aberdeen.

This might seem harsh, I do love him and he's exactly the type of player fans like to see, would run through a brick wall for the team etc, but my gut instinct is that he maybe just lacks a little finesse to play at a much higher level than this.

16 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I've always thought that he's not the type of player who would make us a lot of money, but he will still be 22 when his contact expires next summer so if he were to leave on a bosman, at least we would still get compensation (provided he didn't join Columbus Crew via a loan at Oxford).

By all accounts, he's first in and last out every day at Fir Park, is super fit and a dedicated pro. Right back to when he was in the team as a teenager, it always impressed me how he wasn't at all fazed by going toe-to-toe with the likes of Scott Brown. I think his game is centre far more on attitude and physical condition, than it is on technique. 

I said this last week before the game to my mates (right before he scored twice and got a MOTM performance of course) that I thought being a really good Motherwell player was his level and that if he does go next summer, he's the type of player I could see going down to League One and if he doesn't become an eventual templated returning Motherwell player, I could see him ending up back up the road at a team like Hibs or Aberdeen.

This might seem harsh, I do love him and he's exactly the type of player fans like to see, would run through a brick wall for the team etc, but my gut instinct is that he maybe just lacks a little finesse to play at a much higher level than this.

Disappointing but highly informative post.  I haven't seen that much of him but know he's highly regarded.

Are the club going to get the money for cadden?